homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » *crrrrrrrrunch*

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: *crrrrrrrrunch*
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 04:23      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the sound my elbow made when I fell last week.

I was on holiday with my family in Turkey and slipped in a puddle near the hotel pool. Put my arm out to break my fall and heard that sound... not fun [Razz]

Went to the hospital the next day and found out (via lots of gesticulating and speaking slowly) that I'd not only fractured my elbow, but displaced a piece of bone... it would have to be operated on and pinned back together.

So I spent the rest of my holiday in a strange Turkish hospital, alternately sobbing in pain in the middle of the night when the nurse wouldn't answer my calls, or passing out in a morphine induced haze.

Thankfully, though, the operation went very well and I was allowed to fly back as scheduled. I now have a good many stitches and a nice big cast on my left arm. It's somewhat annoying that I'm left-handed, though... and I have a 15,000 word MA dissertation due in in 2 weeks. Wish me luck in getting an extension(!)

But despite all that, I'm feeling good [Smile] . Because I'm back in the UK and can make myself understood, and the pain is less every day, and, hey, I put my own bra on yesterday! And putting your own bra on with one hand and a big ole cast in the way is no mean feat, I can tell you [Razz]

It's kinda like LemonSmuggler pointed out in another thread - it's funny what silly little things can make us happy, isn't it? [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 05:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you are doing better. So what is a Turkish hospital like? Better than Walter Reid Hospital?

quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
And putting your own bra on with one hand and a big ole cast in the way is no mean feat, I can tell you [Razz]

With a clasp is the back? Let me be teh first member to demand scientific evidence.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 07:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sky I'm very sorry to hear of your painful accident, and wish you a speedy and smooth recovery.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 07:23      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah sorry to hear that - hope you make a quick recovery.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Annastacia
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10379

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 08:52      Profile for Annastacia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!!! I know how you feel. I broke my right arm years ago and I couldn't use it at all. Try going to the bathroom all by yourself!
Posts: 11 | From: Overland Park, KS | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 12:05      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skylar - sorry to hear about your fall. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

When I read your comment "and, hey, I put my own bra on yesterday!" I have to ask.....whose bra were you wearing previously? [crazy]

Seriously though...if you don't get an extension on your dissertation for that little escapade then the world has gone nuts.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 12:26      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heal well, Skylar.

And if they refuse you an extension on pretense that you could use speech recognition to write it, just point them to the infamous Microsoft speech recognition video! [Big Grin] (It must still be around somewhere, I could dig it up if you need to.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 12:36      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the well wishes, guys... I must admit that despite the pain I'm enjoying the opportunity to be really lazy and just surf the internets all day [Big Grin]

Ashitaka, the Turkish hospital, through strange, was also quite palatial! I pretty much had my own private suite, including a chaise longue, a study area, and a separate coffee alcove for entertaining guests! [Cool] ...More importantly, though, the staff were all really helpful and skilled - I was definitely in good hands.

And Grummash, sssshhh! I haven't returned that bra to its rightful owner yet [Wink]

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 12:57      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever been in a Turkish Prison? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself) Hope you mend quickly. I remember when I dislocated my elbow, that really hurt! I can imagine the pain. [Eek!]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Explainer
Mini Geek
Member # 5716

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 12:59      Profile for The Explainer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 53 | From: The hall of logic | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 13:53      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that. Broke my wrist once and you have my sympathies. I hope this won't effect your travel plans to Dublin or Berlin.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 15:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you're on the mend. Yeessh. Pain. Me no likey. Lets hope yer next holiday is incident-free. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 20:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOWWWW!

Hope you're better soon [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 05:42      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ow, ow, ow, owwwww.

Here's to a speedy recovery and an extension on the dissertation.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 06:30      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank ya very much, guys [Smile] ... I'm pleased to report that I'm feeling even better today, and I'm planning to leave my parents' house and go back to Bristol (where I'm doing my Masters) tomorrow! Wish me luck in figuring out how to shower by myself [Big Grin]

Btw, Aditu, hopefully this won't affect travel plans at all. And the decision has been made: Berlin! [Smile]

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 06:47      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skylar, good luck on the masters and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 07:14      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:

Btw, Aditu, hopefully this won't affect travel plans at all. And the decision has been made: Berlin! [Smile]

on a side note...

Berlin, [thumbsup] [Big Grin] Herzlichen Glückwünsch, ein Abenteuer jagt das Nächste.

code:
best wishes, adventures will follow adventures. 

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 07:46      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Showers - Our paperboy would tuck our papers into a plastic bag rather than fold them. They were long and narrow. I then put a rubber band around the top. It isn't perfect, but it worked pretty well. I found the narrowness helped.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 08:19      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Showers - Our paperboy would tuck our papers into a plastic bag rather than fold them. They were long and narrow. I then put a rubber band around the top. It isn't perfect, but it worked pretty well. I found the narrowness helped.

Yeah an even better way is to get the long orange gloves used by veterinarian to do surgery or inseminate animals.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 08:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
Yeah an even better way is to get the long orange gloves used by veterinarian to do surgery or inseminate animals.

Preferably unused.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 05:52      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have a 15,000 word MA dissertation due in in 2 weeks. Wish me luck in getting an extension(!)
[Eek!] Yes, good luck with that!

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 14:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me whimpers in sympathetic pain

That officially rates as a Shitty Vacation! Here's to a speedy recovery and more fun in the future!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 02:18      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why thanks, guys [Smile] Great to see you, btw, Xan!

Good news is that tomorrow I can hand in my extension application form (once I get a doctor's note, because obviously the huge cast on my arm isn't proof enough [Roll Eyes] ). But that means I'm pretty much guaranteed at least some sort of extension, so everyone's well-wishes paid off [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture