homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Good news for fellow coffee addicts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good news for fellow coffee addicts
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 21:10      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the Starbucks Barista machine (normally $450) is on sale for $199, which is a pretty damn good price for an italian-made espresso maker. It doesn't make any sense to buy one if you prefer drip coffee or drink a latte or two per month, but if you're the type who can't get through the day without having one of those Double Ristretto Venti Nonfat Organic Chocolate Brownie Frappuccino Extra Hot with Foam and Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended
whatchamacallits, it'll pay for itself rather quickly.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 22:55      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The coffe machine of my dreams.

sibler

Unfortunalty it costs about CHF 1000 (USD 850) and my non coffee drinking wife doesn't want to spend the money. [cry baby]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 23:59      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tee hee! Funny coffee comic hot off the web this morning. I wonder if Dman would agree?
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 02:41      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

sibler

Unfortunalty it costs about CHF 1000 (USD 850) and my non coffee drinking wife doesn't want to spend the money. [cry baby]

Don't be a cheapskate! If you are going to have an espresso machine, it's got to have lots of levers dials and pipework. Go the whole hog and get an Electra Belle Epoque! I see among the accessories there's a "dinamometric tamper"! Got to have one of those just so I can say the name! [Smile] They have domestic models too but they look a little feeble after the real thing,

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 22, 2007 03:54      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or if you're the handy(wo)man type, you can try to reproduce the ultimate coffee machine!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 06:00      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the superautomatics are a bit too pricey, but the Saeco Incanto Easy was manageable. [Smile]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 22, 2007 06:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For superautomatics Seaco and Jura are the two best in thier field, (both swiss made by the way). I have used both often, the rarely become clogged. (wich is a big problem for this type of machine.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 06:30      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that they have a removable and rinseable brew unit is a plus! [thumbsup]

I like being able to get my coffee at a push of a button!

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 07:03      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlefish: I see there's another Diesel Sweeties fan here. Another great comic.

I've owned 4 espresso machines over the years. I still think my favorite was the one I had in college. It was really just a vessel for water, a basket for the coffee, a pot to drip in and a heating element. No controls, no tubes. You filled the container, screwed on the pressure tight lid, filled the basket and plugged it in. In a few minutes you had 6 (demitasse) cups of espresso. Just enough to pour yourself and your friend a mug-full each.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 07:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous _________________________ That thing draws 2200 watts, I would have to rewire the house or take it out to the barn and plug it into the welder outlet. It sure would be pretty in the barn. Of course the big one would require me to fire up the Genset and plug into that.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 16:39      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

sibler

Umm... Did anyone else notice the slightly creepy page title on that image? I'm sure it means something else in Switzerdeutch, but in English it sounds a bit ominous.

Or maybe it's just a reference to insomnia [Razz]

EDIT: D'oh! Of course, it's the name of the colour. Still...

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Annastacia
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10379

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2007 14:24      Profile for Annastacia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought one of their machines acouple of years ago, not the espresso maker, but the regular coffee maker. Didn't like it, sold it on ebay. It didn't keep the coffee hot enough, and it didn't brew it hot enough either.
A

Posts: 11 | From: Overland Park, KS | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2007 22:34      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it's a rebadged Saeco Via Venezia, not too shabby. Now, I'm fairly certain the shots I've pulled so far were mediocre at best, but the lattes I made with them weren't any worse than the stuff at Char-bucks. Goodbye four dollar crappy lattes, hello ~60 cent similarly crappy lattes [Smile]
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2007 18:19      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.coffeegeek.com

For more information about coffee and everything associated with it. [Smile]

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2007 20:02      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good old coffeegeek, the place where people think it's perfectly all right to drive a 1975 clunker and spend that extra $20,000 on a fancy new coffeemaker [Smile]
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2007 04:46      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, but if you're not into the fancy, digitized superautos there's always the Rancilio Sylvia that many espresso connaisseurs swear by. It's only a few hundred bucks versus thousands! ;-)
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2007 07:07      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The KitchenAid Dual Boiler espresso machine has also dropped considerably in price. It is made by Gaggia and has quite a beautiful appearance.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=456

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 07:10      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even better news - it's down to $100 now, assuming you can still find one.
LoneWolf
Mini Geek
Member # 4966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 13:03      Profile for LoneWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to go low-tech and use a French Press (aka Bodum). No levers, but it does have a plunger!
Posts: 61 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2007 14:19      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is if all you want is coffee... If you want espresso you can get one of these:
 -

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture