homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » So I failed my driver's test today...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So I failed my driver's test today...
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2007 20:19      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, after a year and a half of having my permit and only a few days before I leave for college, I decided that I might want to have my driver's license.

I signed up for my test and 6 weeks later ( aka today) I drove to DMV. I was fifteen minutes early so I called my boyfriend to pass on some information. Doesn't the testing guy come and see me on the phone and yell at me to get off the phone? He's 10 minutes early. So strike one.

He tells me to back out of the spot, but I can't because there's some person who decided "Hey! Let's park this girl in!" so the testing guy gets out and yells at him. The person moves his car, but not enough so the testing guy goes back out and yells at him. He's in a terrific mood. Strike two.

He tells me to parallel park. Now, the PA driving book says that I have 24 feet... so that's what I was using to practice. There was no way this spot was 24 feet. Additionally, I'm using a car I'm not so comfortable with because the other car decided to malfunction this morning. (ARG!) I get the car in the spot and out of the spot okay. He doesn't say a word.

The testing guy tells me to pull into this parking space and park. I do. He gets out of the car and walks away. A few minutes my mother walks over and asks what happened. I have no idea. He told her that I need to work on parallel parking. He didn't even bother to tell me that I failed. (Thanks a lot guy... I like you too...)

Oh yeah... he walked away with my permit too... Nice guy. So I'm still license-less and everyone in my family wants to talk about what happened, how I can fix it, what do we do next, etc and I'm sick of it! It happened, I failed, I have to take it again. Let's leave it at that... no more analyzing what I did wrong or cliches like "how you respond to this challenge tells what sort of a person you'll be." I just want them to shut up!

Sorry for the mini rant at the end...

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2007 21:00      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I failed mine the first time too.

Reason? Because I had to do straight backing right after a three point turn and my wheel was still a little crooked so I started to back crooked, stopped, straightened out and did the backing.

He failed me because I stopped to straighten out without asking his permission first. Asshole.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 18, 2007 21:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awww rats, but don't sweat it. I failed my first test too! [blush]

My testing guy was like an evil Man from Glad. I got all nervous, and kinda hit a car while backing up. Ooops! [Razz]

The next time, a week or so later, I had a much nicer testing guy and passed no problem!

Good luck next time!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2007 21:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to go back and ask to speak to a supervisor at the DMV and report the first examiner's behavior. The only reasons people get away with behavior like that on the job are a) they're close friends with the supervisor (unlikely) and b) people don't report the behavior. Hopefully you have the first examiner's name.

If you want to be a bit more passive aggressive about it, you might also try asking the next examiner for his or her name and supervisor's name at the start. Most people behave a lot more professionally after you make it apparent that you'll report their behavior.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 2 posted August 19, 2007 00:15      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tester didn't somehow show up early.

Somebody in the office spotted the latest member of the Lindsay Lohan/Brittney Spears league on a cell phone and saw that she was not taking her driving test seriously. He was sent out early to flunk you.

He yelled at the parked driver because he really didn't want to waste a lot of time flunking you.

Cell phones, gabby girls and automobiles do not mix. The term is "accident waiting to happen."

Cell phones don't kill people, lighter-than-air heads with cell phones kill people.

Don't despair sweetie. There is a future in this world for young women who don't use their brains. The guys from "Girls Gone Wild" can't wait for you to get drunk on your 21st birthday.

You blew this test five times over. You took an unfamiliar automobile to the test. You were unfamiliar with the test. Instead of taking time to practice parking unfamilar automobile, you spent gabbing with your girlfriend ona CELL PHONE (what-everrrrr, duh!). YOU flunked the test. YOU failed to take responsibility for your failure and blamed it on somebody else.

(Steen I can see why you take sides with this gal. You seem to live on that same dismal spot of the bell curve. Maybe the two of you can get together, breed and add a bunch of your own guppies to the stupid pool. But go ahead and help this lady out with that supervisor. Get your dixie flag hat and your Budwieser 03 NASCAR shirt on, then give that supervisor whatever piece of a so-called mind you have in that empty skull of yours. Hey, maybe we'll all get lucky and he'll pull your license, too!)

Take your driving seriously, young lady, or you will kill somebody.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Taim
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10211

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 00:55      Profile for Taim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch...What a flamer.

I actually went for my first driving test this past friday, but due to an unfortunate happening, I was unable to take it. So I rescheduled it for the 24th. If the guy was an ass and had something stuck up his ass you should have requested another evaluator to take your test with. Clearly if the guy's own mental issues interfere with his work he should be out of work.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 12 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 04:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP - just for once will you get down off your fscking high horse? You really are getting tiresomely aggressive.

Littlenewsie's post does not say she was driving when she used her cell phone, so there is nothing wrong with Steen's comments. If she admits she was driving when she used her cell phone, then your stance would be valid. If she confirms the vehicle was parked, then your tirade was unmerited.

I think it's time you took a chill-pill, or got laid... or something!

EDIT: edited for spelling and readability [blush]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 05:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elsewhere, Snaggy wrote:
Colonel Panic: Nitrozac and I don't want this kind of behavior here, please show some self control and stop this kind of immature trolling.

CP:
For someone who has posted so often about how you deserve respect, you don't seem to be very capable of showing it to those that deserve it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 07:33      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also failed it the first time. The space for parallel parking on the test was just a lot shorter than I realized, so I parked crooked, tried to straighten the car out for about 10 minutes, and eventually hit a cone.

My second time, I was a bit more prepared, but still somewhat far away from the curb. Thankfully, my driving instructor didn't care.

You can just take it again in three weeks.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 08:04      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or just move to north carolina.

They don't require parallel parking on the test.

In fact, the first time I ever had to parallel park, I just kind of... did it. Nobody teaches you how to here.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 09:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I passed my first test. I screwed up the parallel parking, but in WA you can screw things up and still pass.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 09:59      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Passed my test well first time.
I can park well -
parallel or in between two cars forming a straight line...

[Wink] really, it just comes down to how moody the examiner is

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 12:54      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah don't worry about it to much. There is always a next time. On my test I parallel parked a bit too far away from the curb so the driver examiner just told me to redo it and the second time I did it perfectly. She passed me because my driving on the road was 100 percent perfect and even though I made a couple small mistakes like the parallel parking she knew they were all things you learn from experience and wouldn't cause an accident.

As for people bothering you about it. Just let the people know who are asking you about it that you don't care that you failed because you know you can drive and will pass next time.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 20:47      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP - I wasn't driving, I was parked. The DMV has no windows so no, no one saw me. I did practice with that car that morning and I could do it fine. I'm in no way blaming the instructor; I'm fully aware that it's my fault for failing. I'm saying there were a lot of cards stacked against me.

Exactly how was I unfamiliar with the test? I knew what was expected... the information I was given (by the DMV itself) was incorrect. How is that my fault?

And I'm sorry, but you'll never see me on Girls Gone Wild... I have too many other things to do.

Everyone else - Thanks for the support. I'm going to take the test again soon... hopefully. If I can get a spot.

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2007 07:04      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son just got his permit so I still have some time before I have to worry about him taking his driving test. (He has to have his permit 6 months before he can get his license, I don't know what the laws are in other states.) I guess the good news for us is that when he does take his test, it's a first-come, first-serve basis and he won't have to wait six weeks for the next appointment!

Newsie, I'm sure you will do just fine the next time. Maybe if you're early the next time, park somewhere down the block and drive up at exactly your test time so you can get any other business out of the way first? Or spend those extra minutes practicing a few last times.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2007 11:41      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh another piece of advise is to book your new apointment for a friday morning just after morning rush hour. It is not a quarentee but usually driver examiners are more forgiving when the weekend is right around the corner and in the morning they haven't become frustrated yet by previous people taking the test.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture