homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Decisions, decisions...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Decisions, decisions...
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 17, 2007 08:17      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, my turn to ask for your opinion on training matters.

Yesterday, I had a training with my PT. And she offered me to turn my present package into a "Transform" one. This Transform thing is a program meant to get a lot of results within 3 months, and goes with almost daily training (5-6 times a week, 60-90min/day), and diet checking. All this for only 250CDN$ more. The diet thing might be the trickiest part, as I can't live without chocolate, and just crave desserts. So I'm tempted.

The problem is, just as I was about to give up on my Master, I receive a paper from the university - they had enrolled me for the next session. So I got thinking: "what the heck, why not give it another, real, serious attempt before calling it quit?" With 3-4 days of training a week, plus dance classes, I could still manage enough time to do enough reading to make it worthwile. But if I go for 5-6 times a week, I don't get much time left.

I was also entertaining the idea of takin violin lessons, but if I go fot the Master or the new training, I probably couldn't do it.

So what should I do? Call the university and tell them I quit, and put all my energy in getting in prime shape? Delay the training program to give myself a fair chance to get another diploma (that I might never make use of, anyway)? Give it all and try both, at the risk of a burn-out if it's too much?

Anybody here have had such a full schedule (full-time work, school, and another time-consuming activity) and would care to share their experience?

At this point, I think health should take priority, as I have a good paying job, and I am building a nice level of technical specialization in a rapidly developping area, which should be as good as a Master degree carreer-wise. But I also feel a bit guilty because I haven't try as hard as I could on the degree, and feel I own it to me _and_ those who backed me up into it not to give up too early.

My supervisor is very open, and she may agree to allow me half-a-day a week for my Master work. Plus, I still have about 4 weeks of vacation I could use on it, with 3 more coming in about 6 months. So doing both might be workable. I guess I'm just scared at seeing my free-time level dropping so low, and the amount of discipline needed (I am not - never was - good at self-discipline). On the other hand... what a personnal achievement it would be!

Anyway, I have about two weeks to make up my mind...

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 09:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep the money, put it in a savings account, find a way to make yourself stick to a diet without someone's help, and use the money to buy yourself something nice once you achieve your intended goals.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 09:47      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Keep the money, put it in a savings account, find a way to make yourself stick to a diet without someone's help, and use the money to buy yourself something nice once you achieve your intended goals.

And if you don't meet your goals, redefine them, declare victory, reward yourself.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 10:03      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

And if you don't meet your goals, redefine them, declare victory, reward yourself.
[Big Grin]

Now, seriously, money isn't the problem. I have already enough set aside to pay myself something very nice, and I have a saving program, setting aside 100$ per months (plus 200$/mo in a RSP, so if you add it up, I already put aside in a month more that the program would cost in 3). Plus, 1-session tuition costs more than the program, and 1-session of private violin course would cost almost as much. No, it's not about money - it's about time.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 14:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little suspicious of those fitness 'crash courses'. A friend did one a few years ago, lost an amazing amount of weight in a short time, looked much fitter and healthier, and .... put all the weight back on in a year once she quit the course.

Slow and steady tends to produce more lasting results.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 20, 2007 07:54      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I'm a little suspicious of those fitness 'crash courses'. A friend did one a few years ago, lost an amazing amount of weight in a short time, looked much fitter and healthier, and .... put all the weight back on in a year once she quit the course.

Slow and steady tends to produce more lasting results.

I knew that already, but you pointing it got me thinking. I'd have to ask my PT about long-term results of those who have taken the program. Maybe they focus on changing bad habits, and the users can actually keep up.

Still, I decided to pass for this time. I have registered for one year, and I should renew next year (stopping to exercice after reaching a goal is the best way to regain it all). I still have little more than a year to complete my Master, while the gym will be there for years - and hopefully, I will too! So I'll keep on my slow results, no big change of diet, and reconsider it all next year if my actual level of training isn't sufficient. (Plus, next year's registration won't cost as much, so it'll be easier on the budget.)

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you to clear up my mind.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Annastacia
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10379

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2007 14:36      Profile for Annastacia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lost 65 pounds since March 1st. I started by walking for 1 hour a day EVERY day. Even if I had to do it at 10pm. I also stopped drinking soda all together even though I was drinking diet. I dropped 45 from March to June and then went in for a check up and also found out that my thyroid wasn't working properly so I got that taken care of. Now I just sort of watch what I eat, still no sodas, and fast food maybe once every 2 weeks and NO super sizing. Lots of water. Now I was walk about 3 times a week, and have lost the last 20 since June. I still have 30 more to go, but it is coming off at about 1 1/2 pounds a week. IT CAN BE DONE!!!
Posts: 11 | From: Overland Park, KS | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 23, 2007 14:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annastacia... first off, welcome! [Smile]

secondly...

WHOA! Congrats, that is AWESOME! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Magnificent Valour! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Taim
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10211

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2007 05:17      Profile for Taim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh. I need to start buckling down on something, but I too, have a time issue so it makes it hard to get any kind of excersize in. I probably will need to slow it down a bit more this year and take some more time for myself so that I can dedicate it to working out.

Congrats to those who have been able to do it, it's nice to see every once in a while that it IS possible to do it. <3

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 12 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2007 19:10      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can always cut back on training for partial results. You can't really earn half of a degree.

I'd prioritize the Master's and fit the other things in as you have time. If you want a certain amount of free time, schedule it; you can usually find a way to make it fit [Smile]

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2007 19:17      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Annastacia:
I have lost 65 pounds since March 1st. I started by walking for 1 hour a day EVERY day. Even if I had to do it at 10pm. I also stopped drinking soda all together even though I was drinking diet. I dropped 45 from March to June and then went in for a check up and also found out that my thyroid wasn't working properly so I got that taken care of. Now I just sort of watch what I eat, still no sodas, and fast food maybe once every 2 weeks and NO super sizing. Lots of water. Now I was walk about 3 times a week, and have lost the last 20 since June. I still have 30 more to go, but it is coming off at about 1 1/2 pounds a week. IT CAN BE DONE!!!

Stopping the soda probably helps quite a bit. My father used to always drink it, and he also lost a significant amount of weight when he stopped. Considering that soda's basically pure sugar, I'm willing to believe that hypothesis. If it's diet, that may not help, but I don't think aspartame is a particularly nice thing to be ingesting anyway [Smile]

And of course treating the thyroid problem (hypothyroidism?) probably helped tremendously as well.

Anyway, congrats!

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2007 06:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ran across wiki's list of diets. Not that I want to start dieting but surfing through all of them is a really interesting read.

This one makes sense to me. I clicked the link thinking the hacker's diet would be mountain dew and hot pockets, but it actually isn't a joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker%27s_diet

post scriptum

Does anyone have any idea why UBB wouldn't like the %27 "'" inside URL brackets?

post post scriptum, I already knew this but it is just classic.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Annastacia
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10379

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 09:25      Profile for Annastacia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
Stopping the soda probably helps quite a bit. My father used to always drink it, and he also lost a significant amount of weight when he stopped. Considering that soda's basically pure sugar, I'm willing to believe that hypothesis. If it's diet, that may not help, but I don't think aspartame is a particularly nice thing to be ingesting anyway [Smile]

And of course treating the thyroid problem (hypothyroidism?) probably helped tremendously as well.

Anyway, congrats!

I was drinking Diet, but I think it helped to stop drinking it. And yes it was Hypothyroidism. Though a majority of the weight was lost before I learned about it.

I just weighed myself this morning and since 7/31, I have lost 8 more pounds. I really think drinking a lot of water helps tremendously!!!

Posts: 11 | From: Overland Park, KS | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 16:29      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Annastacia:
I just weighed myself this morning and since 7/31, I have lost 8 more pounds. I really think drinking a lot of water helps tremendously!!!

That's very good Annastacia [Smile] Water does help. Drinking enough of it helps keep your metabolism up.
I'd also like to testify that it's very possible as long as you keep your priorities in order. I've been doing the WW since April 19th of this year, and I'm down 41.2 lbs.
There are always going to be parties to attend, meetings to go to, degrees to earn, that's life afterall, but you can't wait until all of it ends to really change your lifestyle.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture