homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » exercise plans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: exercise plans
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 06:48      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes its Biz with more health and weight loss topics. Yay!

Anyway, I'm trying to scoop out time in my class schedule to take advantage of the university gym that I pay for through tuition fees. I've actually found at least 2 hours per day in my regular class schedule (that 2 hours will have to be shared with lunch, too)

I know I'm going to be doing at least a half hour of cardio per day, but its the weights part I'm trying to hash out. I have 2 hours total on T/H which isn't a lot, and I'm thinking of maybe just doing a full body strength training on the days I do have time, or splitting it up into lower/upper/abs&back and doing a little every day.

Any suggestions? I know nitrozac does tons (tonnes?) of exercise and Stereo has been getting her groove on at the gym. I'm open to anything as long as I have time in my 120 minutes -- at least an hour will probably be taken up by walking to/from classes, showering, changing and eating lunch.

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 07:48      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a starter, my PT has been telling me that there should always about 48h between two weight training. So you could do the weigth+cardio on the days you have more time, and keep it to cardio only on the other days. Or even alternate: one day weight only, one day cardio only; this way, you can't overdo it. And aren't you taking up fencing this session too? You could skip the cardio on the fencing days.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 10:25      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh goodness gracious, I forgot about my fencing practices.

and actually, fencing is more a strength training sport than a cardio sport. I mean, its both, but that shiz will whip your thighs and bum into a rock hard sculpture in no time. Therefore, I think I'm going to do my cardio every day (it will be from 10:30 to noon, and practice is 7-10 pm so I have plenty of break time), and break my strength into sections:

M/W: upper in the morning and then lower during fencing
T/H: cardio and abs
F: just cardio -- I'll need a break. This may change to lower once I get back into fencing shape and it's not leaving me feeling it the next day anymore.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 13:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just take a vow never to use the lifts ('elevators' for you silly furriners).
In a typical day getting around my old university campus, I climbed about 60 floors that way, that and cycling kept me super fit.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 14:11      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are you trying to do? I, too, am devising a weight-lifting schedule, but I believe you and I would have different aims. I am trying to build back that muscle mass, or "bulk up". I'm not trying to lose weight (though I will lose fat, god knows I need it). For me it's going to be a tear-down/rebuild cycle. Here's what my schedule looks like:

Monday: Upper-body (bench press, military press, fly press, biceps, triceps, delts, lats)
Tuesday: Lower body (calves, leg press, squats, hamstring curl), abdomen/lower back (situps/crunches, leg lifts (yuck), back extensions)
Wednesday: Heavy cardio
Thursday: upper body
Friday: lower body, abdomen/lower back
Saturday: Beirut

I say 'heavy cardio' on Wednesday because I plan to do a light cardio warm-up on the other days. This plan still needs tweaking, and I may rework it so that I lift twice a day.

If all goes to plan, I won't be able to comb my hair or walk up a flight of stairs without wincing. I plan to continue this until I get back up to where I was in my prime, and after that I'll modify the plan to work on endurance.

Of course, you have a major advantage in that you have fencing practice. I have no such thing, so I have to supplement with light cardio.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Taim
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10211

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 14:36      Profile for Taim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
What are you trying to do? I, too, am devising a weight-lifting schedule, but I believe you and I would have different aims. I am trying to build back that muscle mass, or "bulk up". I'm not trying to lose weight (though I will lose fat, god knows I need it). For me it's going to be a tear-down/rebuild cycle. Here's what my schedule looks like:

Monday: Upper-body (bench press, military press, fly press, biceps, triceps, delts, lats)
Tuesday: Lower body (calves, leg press, squats, hamstring curl), abdomen/lower back (situps/crunches, leg lifts (yuck), back extensions)
Wednesday: Heavy cardio
Thursday: upper body
Friday: lower body, abdomen/lower back
Saturday: Beirut

I say 'heavy cardio' on Wednesday because I plan to do a light cardio warm-up on the other days. This plan still needs tweaking, and I may rework it so that I lift twice a day.

If all goes to plan, I won't be able to comb my hair or walk up a flight of stairs without wincing. I plan to continue this until I get back up to where I was in my prime, and after that I'll modify the plan to work on endurance.

Of course, you have a major advantage in that you have fencing practice. I have no such thing, so I have to supplement with light cardio.

Dude, you're going to fall down and die with that kind of schedule! But I suppose that's kind of the point for you since you're going for bulk rather than long and lean. More weight, less reps, less time you're using up since it'll kind of be like hopping onto the next ASAP.

But meh, that seems like overload to me, man..

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 12 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 14:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also trying to bulk up some.

So everyday at 7 pm I start with beer until bedtime.

In between I eat something with lots of carbs and of course animal parts cooked in lots of oil.

At the current rate I am going, I should top 225 in a few more weeks.

[Wink]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 15:44      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taim,

Just a word in the "shell like" - if your "sig" is most likely to over top the line count of your posts on a regular basis consider a shorter sig... Thought I would just get that polite comment in before some of the fiercer posters kick off on you...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Taim
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10211

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 19:31      Profile for Taim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for telling me and Happy Birthday, Serenak.

--------------------
Meh.

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 22:32      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA,

You can build lean tissue with as little as two sessions of resistance training a week, 1 repetition of 10x for each muscle group. An additional session, making 3 sessions a week will add some benefit.

Weight-room lifters who do much more than that (more reps, ladders, etc.) are simply burning calories. Building lean tissue requires a minimum of the 48h rest Stereo mentioned. Variation of routine also will help speed the building of lean tissue, as muscles get "smart" and adapt to resistance routines.

"Cardio" is simply excercising beneath your anaerobic threshold -- the level at which your muscles function without requiring more oxygen than your heart and lungs can supply (Max VO2). Most trainers will use a rule of thumb of excercising at a maximum heart rate of 80% of you Max Heart Rate. They use 220 minus your age as a rule of thumb for determining your maximum. Your physiology may require variations of those rules of thumb.

A good routine for you might be two resistance training sessions a week using dumbells -- I suggest dumbells at the gym because most idiots on the machines monopolize them and keep others from completing their workouts. Try the 15 pounders for starters. Work all groups. Do the weights on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Do your fencing M/W -- just because your tushy is sore doesn't mean you are resistance training. It just means you are out of shape. Jog before and after.

Use Thursdays to go at 80% heart rate for 90 minutes and use the other thirty to dress and shower.

Saturday go an hour at 60%. Sunday, walk the dog or chase boys or do both.

Remember to stretch before working out and to warm down after excercise.

Oh, on the dumbells, best advice for a young woman - dumbell bench presses and dumbell bench flies. They'll make you "perky."

The Colonel has competed in National Championships in Track, and Cycling and State Championships in Swimming.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 18, 2007 00:38      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been getting into a bodybuilding type of program, I designed for myself, after researching on the internet. I still need to work on my nutrition aspect, I eat way too many calories, and I've more than doubled my protein intake. My first full week is this week, so, I can't report any real significant progress.

Here's my plan
Day 1 - Chest & Biceps, 4 exercises for the Chest, 3 for the Biceps
Day 2 - Legs (Quads, Hams, Calves, Outer and Inner thighs exercises)
Day 3 - Rest
Day 4 - Back & Abs, 4 exercises for the back, 3 for the abs
Day 5 - Butt, 6 exercises for the glutes which includes squats and lunges which workout the legs too.
Day 6 - Shoulders & Triceps, 4 exercises for the shoulders, 4 exercises for the triceps
Day 7 - Rest

Cardio - over 40 minutes of some type of cardio every day or at least 5 times a week, to lose fat.

Depending on my scheduling, and I can't do both cardio and weights, I choose the weights because for me it's all about getting my metabolism back to normal and building muscle is how you do it.

I love the weight lifting. I did a schedule like the above about 13 years ago, and the results were great. I felt much stronger, more energy, and the muscles give you a very nice curvy look. I hate that boney scrawny look extreme dieters get, like what's popular now with the Nicole Ritchies and such. FYI, Pam Anderson got her bod from serious weightlifting.

also; with weightlifting, you need to eat every three hours, and immediately after lifting weights you should have a protein bar or shake, or something with lots of protein and carbs so the muscles have something to build with.

I would suggest you devote your entire time in the gym to weightlifting, I think the machines would be a waste of your time as you get plenty of cardio with walking, going up stairs and the fencing. And cardio is easy to get outside of a gym, whereas weight lifting requires specific equipment. Another thing, those weight machines are for wimps, they aren't as good for building muscles as free weights. And, try to lift as heavy weights as you can, the less weight and higher reps is a myth. And... don't worry about getting too bulky; women's lack of testosterone will prevent that. The freaky body builder women take weird supplements and steroids which is gross.

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2007 07:58      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your very sound advice. One thing bothered me though:
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Do your fencing M/W -- just because your tushy is sore doesn't mean you are resistance training. It just means you are out of shape. Jog before and after.

If you consider a squat a resistance exercise, then fencing is a resistance exercise. Everything you do while fencing, you do while in a squat. My coach is a bastard who likes to make it the lowest squat you can possibly muster and will put weights on your shoulders if he doesn't think you're low enough. Anyway, at practice, I am in a squat for approx. two out of the three hour practice -- walking in a squat, running in a squat, walking/running backwards in a squat. Oh, not to mention just doing regular squats.
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
also; with weightlifting, you need to eat every three hours, and immediately after lifting weights you should have a protein bar or shake, or something with lots of protein and carbs so the muscles have something to build with.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. Do you have a good one to recommend? Or would eating a turkey and ham or peanutbutter sandwich right after I work out (as I'm planning to do) be adequate?

I would suggest you devote your entire time in the gym to weightlifting, I think the machines would be a waste of your time as you get plenty of cardio with walking, going up stairs and the fencing. And cardio is easy to get outside of a gym, whereas weight lifting requires specific equipment. Another thing, those weight machines are for wimps, they aren't as good for building muscles as free weights. And, try to lift as heavy weights as you can, the less weight and higher reps is a myth. And... don't worry about getting too bulky; women's lack of testosterone will prevent that. The freaky body builder women take weird supplements and steroids which is gross.

I don't use machines. My gym has a lovely air conditioned indoor rubberized running track. I am extremely sensitive to heat so during the summer I like to use the indoor track and when it gets cooler I use the outdoor track or the two mile circuit around campus I created (by driving in my car) that starts and ends in the parking lot I have a permit for. [Geek]

And yeah, I knew about the women body building thing. Another reason I can't bulk up: Birth control. Having that much estrogen and progesterone in your system makes you want to store fat, not create muscle, and its the reason I'm up a nice ten pounds in the first place. I can keep it off if I work really hard, but if I lose vigilance its back in a heartbeat. I spent three weeks shaking off 5 pounds and then in four days gained it all back when I went on vacation and didn't exercise. [Frown]

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2007 10:03      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA,

Personally,

I would not consider a simple squat a form of resistance exercise in a lean-tissue building sense.

Can you do more than 10 or 12 of them? of course you can; you are doing this for over 2 hours.

Or, during your squats are you creating more lactic acid than you cardiovascular system can handle? In other words are you going anaerobic? More importantly are you going anerobic on a schedule to promote certain measured increases in speed and endurance? It doesn't sound like it.

I tend to break training into three classes: 1) Resistance training for increase in strength and/or lean tissue, 2) Anerobic interval training (wind sprints, stairs, etc.) to increase aerobic capcity of heart and lungs (spiking heart above threshold), building of stores of anaerobic energy stores (ATP -- the fuel of sprinters) and increasing power (speed x strength), then finally 3) aerobic/cardiovascular training.

Both resistance training and anaerobic training will build strength, however most trainers and coaches believe a regime of intense resistence training does accelerate the building of strength and/or lean tissue -- this depends on your program. Studies I've read, and my own results have shown, that itensity of resistance training is all about amount of resistance, as opposed to number of sets. The key is focus -- do those heavy reps exactly the way you are supposed to. Most people lack that degree of focus. In essence, with multiple-set weight lifting some of those sets are little more than warm ups, warm downs and calorie burning.

For resistance training to build strength/lean tissue you should be doing at least 80% of max lift repeated 10x. As I mentioned earlier, one set is all you need. You can increase the percentage of weight and decrease reps to itensify the buildup of strength/lean tissue. Biggest difference between building strength and body building is body building requires more food and rest. Think of the guys on Venice Beach as feedlot steers -- they way they gulp anabolic steroids they might as well be steers anyway.

To determine your true max weight lifting potential, you should be training with weights for a minimum of 6 weeks -- 12 is better, to get your connective tissues ready for the stress. Before you test, just make sure you are comfortable lifting your weights 10X without too much failure. To find your Max, you lift one time. Test Max once every 2 weeks, once Max is tested you can resume a modified version of your resistance training program n that day.

Leg reps can be more than 10X, up to 20X or 30X if you are a runner or cyclist. Even then you are doing a bit of "endurance" training. I put that in quotes because it's not like you will run a marathon with that training. But it does help increase speed if you are in a proper program.

On the subject of running a marathons, Frank Shorter the distance runner recorded his weight over a 10 year period and it remained stable. But analysis of his body mass showed that he lost 3% lean tissue over that period! You and I both agree that if you went out and ran 10 miles, you'd be pretty sore, just as if you had been squatting in fencing practice. But that soreness is not building lean tissue.

And yes, even women need to build lean tissue. Ever seen old ladies with flabby "chicken wings" flapping from where thir triceps used to be. Resistance training also has been shown to built bone mass, which is a very important aspect of women's health.

Once again, building lean tissue requires short reps of high resistance. It doesn't take a lot, but that is what it takes.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2007 11:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, BA, if you're living off campus, why not just bike in? That's cardio right there. Or do the traffic patterns where you are force you onto an interstate?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2007 21:04      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Hey, BA, if you're living off campus, why not just bike in? That's cardio right there. Or do the traffic patterns where you are force you onto an interstate?

It's not on an interstate but its 3 miles on very busy roads (my campus is practically downtown) with lots of hills, and I haven't ridden a bike since I was about 12 years old. So... no thanks [Smile]
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2007 23:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You never forget how to ride a bike. And, since I grew up in Seattle and currently live in CO, it is my privilege to be completely and utterly unsympathetic when people complain about hills. [Razz]

Truth is, I'm just a bicycling addict. To me, a bicycle is joy and freedom. No gas, no registration, no insurance, no license, way cheaper to repair, no container, etc. But I do realize that, for some reason, other people look on them as instruments of fear and torture. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the spandex. [Confused]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Taim
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10211

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 00:10      Profile for Taim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine, God, how did you survive biking up those hills in Seattle? I was just there about a week ago and some of those hills are bordering on vertical. That would really give a great workout though, and I myself have a fair amount of hills where I live and have recently started biking again, but Seattle would be the death of me.

--------------------
Meh.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 00:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used my gears.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2007 21:01      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Protein shake info;
According to this website; http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/
They seem to be into this protein shake; http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/vega-complete-whole-food-meal-replacement-mix.htm

I haven't tried that, I'm kinda of the mentality that it's better for you to just eat food and that should be good enough, but, those body builders seem to get pretty good results, so, who knows?

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2007 19:22      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting thread.

On the vegan/vegetarian slant, most of the bicycle racers I knew were fairly well slanted towards vegetarianism. One reason is that animal fats and proteins tend to stay in the digestive tract for a while, another was all the garbage that is shot into animals (of course the news from the bike tour now is the racers are very particular about the crap they secretly put into their bodies). Anyway it's no fun to race for 100 miles with a gut full of meat.

I would think that the vegan body builders go for the vegan protien shakes is because they can get the protien without the excess calories. Getting sufficient high-quality, balanced protien out of a vegan diet comes with a caloric price tag. Somebody who runs, rides or swims a lot have room for the calories, but body builders don't.

The stuff on the link looks pretty expensive. I used to use Weider's soy-based protien and it was less costly. It also included a lot of trace nutrients that the "live longer" crowd recommends. Of all the stuff I've tried I seemed to be more healthy and get sick a lot less when I was using it. Don't know why. I haven't been able to locate it locally.

There are also some less expensive soy protien compounds on the market. For the same amount of protien quoted on that site, you can pay as little as $20. I figure if I'm poopin' green, then it's plant-based protien, alrighty.

Sometimes I find the expanding "health food" aisles at grocery stores have some good deals. Local old-hippy run food co-ops are a good place to shop. Last place I'd ever try is "Meg-Amalgamated/Halliburton Organic House of Soy and Health Food" -- there are a lot of those fast-buck places out there.

Oh yeah, any "health food" from China, I'd avoid right now.

My $.02

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture