homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My Weekend (or MMKK and the Old Hippie)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Weekend (or MMKK and the Old Hippie)
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 12, 2007 12:27      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**WARNING: LONG POST**
Skip down to the "**END BACKSTORY**" marker if you want to skip the long bits.

So, for those that don't know yet, I drove the bus back from Mom & Dad's house to Ypsilanti (about 200 miles). She's running great now, save for the bad clutch... but who needs one of those, anyway? [Razz]

It's still in it's "break in" period after the engine rebuild, so I'm not allowed to drive it faster than 55MPH. Bearing that restriction in mind, I decided I'd take good ol' US-12 (two-lane road, speed limit 55MPH) instead of I-94 (Interstate hwy, speed limit 70MPH). It proved to be a good trip. What would normally take 2 hours on I-94 at 80MPH only took 4 hours on US-12 at 55MPH; and when you consider that it's "orange cone" season here in Michigan, which has recently caused the trip down 94 to increase to 3 hours (or more), I think I made damn good time.

Wow.. I need to go back up and put a "Long Post" warning at the top...

I have a love/hate relationship with the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System. It's a great way to save time when you're going from point A to point B, but at the same time, you never see anything along the way. It heightens the importance of the destination, but minimizes the enjoyment of the journey itself. When you're on the freeway, it's all about "getting there" and not about enjoying the trip.

It's funny how life works out. I decided last weekend (when I was at Mom & Dad's) that I needed to drive the bus back here to Ypsi. I decided that I needed a non-computer-related hobby to help me unwind after work, and that I already had one in the bus, but I needed to get it over here. That trip in the bus had more impact than I ever expected, and though I don't know if I'd call it a life-changing experience, I know that it made /this/ weekend one that I won't forget for a long time.

So, I'm driving down US-12 exactly one week ago today, through little towns, and bigger towns, and countryside, and I come upon this small town called Jonesville. The name struck me as funny, but it would've never been remembered except for a banner that I saw over the road with a big peace symbol on it. That immediately got my eye, of course, and as I read the banner a huge grin overcame my face. It read: "Jonesville Peace and Music Festival. Aug. 11." [Big Grin] Wow! It's like that banner was put there just so I would read it, and what makes it more special is the realization that I would've never seen it had I taken the highway.

***END BACKSTORY***

That brings us (finally) to this weekend. Friday night I went to Barnfest in Ann Arbor. I had a friend that was playing in one of the bands there. It was fun, and I got to show off the bus a bit. [Smile]

The highlight of the weekend, though, was the Peace and Music Festival. My hopefully-temporary roommate John, James (a.k.a. Sprocket from IRC), and I piled into the bus and rolled down to Jonesville (about 90 minutes away). We got there and it was smaller than I'd hoped, though it was large enough that I had to park a block away from the festival.

There were a number of booths there; the local Wiccian organization, Republicans Against Bush, NORML, and others. Lots of old hippies, some younger folks too. It was just a really nice atmosphere, gentle, accepting. I felt like I was with my people. [Smile]

They had a sound system set up and people playing music under a pavilion, which was cool. Some of the acts were pretty good, some were not so hot, but it was a fun variety. I and my two friends plopped down under a shade tree and watched a few acts, and when one of the not-so-hot performers came up, I decided to walk back to the bus to get my hacky-sack. I came back and we were just starting to hack when I looked over and saw a couple other guys that were already hacking and looked about as bad at it as we were, so we went over and joined their circle.

They were Jonesville locals, and we talked about the town, and small town life, and that feeling of being trapped there, and hippies, and peace, and war, and weed, and a whole lot of things. After we hacked for what must've been an hour (and it felt good too! I haven't hacked in months!) I mentioned the bus (I have a habit of doing that) and so we walked down to it, sat in it for a while, chilled and talked some more, and lit up a stick of incense. And no, I didn't become M2K2, thank you very much.

Since the festival was winding down a bit by this point, I decided to drive the bus back to it and park down there. Needless to say, this attracted some attention from the aforementioned old hippies. One guy, Phil, was really groovin' on it. He checked it all out, got a good look at it all. He told me about when he used to have one and how he had a Vanagon too. He just kept saying "this is really beautiful, man, you just don't see these around anymore."

Well, he seemed so excited by it, and I was in such a good mood, I asked him if he would like to go for a little ride. His eyes lit up and he said "yeah! sure!" So we hopped in, and I drove around the town for 20 minutes or so. We talked about life and finding something that you love. I asked him about how things are different now and we talked about how everything is faster now days, how everything is just now, now, now and how everybody's gotta' have everything. I told him that I was in I.T., but that I really don't like it and that I really want to do something in music. He reminded me that you can do anything for a while if you have to, but that I need to keep searching, keep going forward, and that I'll eventually find my way. [Smile]

Okay, so that's my story.. this is the best weekend I've had in a long time, and I have the bus to thank. [Smile]

Sometimes I wonder if I was born 40 years too late...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2007 14:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK ______________________ Nope you were born to the time you needed to be. Thus you restored an artifact and can enjoy the past and have a lot of future, I almost envy you.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2007 14:22      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just don't forget, in order to find something, you have to look for it.

Satisfaction unfortunately is not like puppies or trouble, rarely does it come and find you.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 14 posted August 17, 2007 18:53      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:

I decided I'd take good ol' US-12 (two-lane road, speed limit 55MPH) instead of I-94 (Interstate hwy, speed limit 70MPH). It proved to be a good trip.

US-12 Passes through Sturgis, Michigan, Home to the "Little Sturgis" bike festival.
quote:

I think I made damn good time.

Time is nothing but a number, Grasshopper.
quote:

I have a love/hate relationship with the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System. It's a great way to save time when you're going from point A to point B, but at the same time, you never see anything along the way. It heightens the importance of the destination, but minimizes the enjoyment of the journey itself. When you're on the freeway, it's all about "getting there" and not about enjoying the trip.

Ah, Grasshopper, can you imagine what US-12 would be like without I-94? Appreciate the road of Republican thoughtlessness and conspicuous consumption. Make your way on the road less traveled.
quote:

So, I'm driving down US-12 exactly one week ago today, through little towns, and bigger towns, and countryside, and I come upon this small town called Jonesville.

Shall we call it "Mother Jonesville"?
quote:

The name struck me as funny

"Mother Jonesville"
quote:

but it would've never been remembered except for a banner that I saw over the road with a big peace symbol on it.

One more time, Grasshopper, "Mother Jonesville"
quote:

That immediately got my eye, of course, and as I read the banner a huge grin overcame my face. It read: "Jonesville Peace and Music Festival. Aug. 11."

Maybe you weren't paying attention, "Mother Jonesville"?
quote:

The highlight of the weekend, though, was the Peace and Music Festival.

Jack Turk, who has worked for Bill Gates since before you heard of Bill Gates is from nearby Cassopolis. Jack is one of the Godfathers of a program known as "Flight Simulator". He was a Math Major and flight student at Western Michigan University, and used to write for Tim Dick before Tim was known as Tim Allen. Jack is a very, very, very funny man. All the way to Memphis.
quote:

There were a number of booths there; the local Wiccian organization, Republicans Against Bush, NORML, and others.

You mean all my "favorite" fanbois from Geek Culture were not there? Somebody buy me a feather and knock me down.
quote:

I mentioned the bus (I have a habit of doing that) and so we walked down to it, sat in it for a while, chilled and talked some more, and lit up a stick of incense.

MMKK, only the police in Jonesville buy that story. Even then, they don't buy that story.
quote:

Needless to say, this attracted some attention from the aforementioned old hippies. One guy, Phil, was really groovin' on it. He checked it all out, got a good look at it all. He told me about when he used to have one and how he had a Vanagon too. He just kept saying "this is really beautiful, man, you just don't see these around anymore."

I think I know Phil.
quote:

He reminded me that you can do anything for a while if you have to, but that I need to keep searching, keep going forward, and that I'll eventually find my way. [Smile]

Yes, I know Phil. He's right.
quote:

Okay, so that's my story.. this is the best weekend I've had in a long time, and I have the bus to thank. [Smile]

No, thank your parents. They seemed to have raised you right.
quote:

Sometimes I wonder if I was born 40 years too late...

Maybe the rest of the world was born 40 years too early. We could use the Weather Underground right about now.

You know, your parents are neighbors of mine now, and you never come to visit.

I like the long version of your story, Kris.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture