homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Home Alone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Home Alone
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 06:59      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I have the week all to myself while maswan hikes Kebnekaise. (I'll make him post a link to his pictures when he gets home.) What should I get up to in Umeć?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
bull3t-wounds
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 08:41      Profile for bull3t-wounds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, those are some pretty mountains. have fun and talk to me. never responded to my pm :\

--------------------
PV2 Jeremy Payne, USA aka bull3t

Posts: 12 | From: Al Asad Air Base, Iraq | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 08:52      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bull3t-wounds:
wow, those are some pretty mountains. have fun and talk to me. never responded to my pm :\

Oops. PM/email me your address and I'll send you an honest-to-god paper PM, too!

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 15:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An honest to what? ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 15:53      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
An honest to what? ;P

That was a real, genuine American idiomatic expression in action. I'm full of neat tricks. ;P

An interesting aside, I like watching English-language TV with Swedish subtitles and seeing how literally they translate profanity. Usually they translate "fsck" to jävla, which would be literally translated as "devil", rather than knulla which would be more correct in that it refers to the same physical act. The other major profanity seems to be helvete, which is also devil/hell related. I'm not sure how offensive they are, since I would say on an American scale of offense, "go to hell" is less offensive than "fsck off". The Swedish would be something like "dra ćt helvete" for both, I think. But yeah, in general, I think Swedish profanity tends to draw from Christian mythology rather than biological functions. Which is interesting for one of the most secular societies in the world.

It's also funny to hear words casually coming out of the radio that would induce apoplexy in the FCC. I was listening to an interview with a musician on one of the state channels and the interviewee must have said "fsck" have a dozen times. I think the interviewer may have, as well.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 29, 2007 20:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... what would be more fun? Going mountainering with maswan or spending the week in Umeć with fs?

I wanna do both! [cry baby]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 21:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me drools

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 21:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry maswan...but I'd rather spend the week in Umeć with fs. [Razz]

I'll leave mountaineering to the previous two posters. [Wink] It's been too long since I got to hang out with the very awesome snake of fire. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2007 06:22      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had fun:

http://www.acc.umu.se/~maswan/bilder/20070801-Kebnekaise/index.html?flow=yes&large=no

/Mattias Wadenstein

Posts: 71 | From: Umeć, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 03, 2007 07:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice! Glad the sun came out for you too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2007 03:04      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so pretty.

Too bad it's guarded by hordes of giant, aggressive, hungry mosquitos.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 05, 2007 12:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woohoo! HotPix!!!11!!!! [Applause]

fs: Mountains have that problem. That's why I like to get up on the snow. Bugs don't live on glaciers.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2007 13:07      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is that guy looking at you like you just ate this?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2007 13:36      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: thanks!

Also, with a decent bit of wind, the bugs here don't like it above the treeline. So that kind of works for most of the time. It is just the getting there and getting back that sucks.

Posts: 71 | From: Umeć, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture