homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Inflight Entertainment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inflight Entertainment
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 13:42      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiosity...

1) Is anybody out there in the inflight entertainment business?

2) Does anybody have any remarkable stories about music etc they've heard on a plane?

3) Can anybody explain how a human being in 2007 could not completely love all things Apple, Inc? (I digress...)

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 13:49      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JamesDublin:
Out of curiosity...

2) Does anybody have any remarkable stories about music etc they've heard on a plane?

3) Can anybody explain how a human being in 2007 could not completely love all things Apple, Inc? (I digress...)

1. Nope, sorry.

2. Hell no. No mater how much I drink and smoke, I still seem to be able to keep too many brain cells to be entertained by in-flight crap.

3. Apple is a nanny company. 'nuff said.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 14:41      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Nope
2) Yes - on a flight to hawaii, the machine was broken, so the only song was Lisa Loeb - "Stay". I thought I was going to go insane.
3) I don't, though I do love some things. I like the things they do well - ipods, powerbooks. The iTV and the iPhone just don't do it for me.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 16:14      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Out of curiosity...

1. Nope

2. No - but I do like how it is a gamble everytime you step on a plane on what you are going to get. Sometimes you get the full tv sets in the back of seats with not even released movies at your viewing pleasure and sometimes you get the old 15 inch tv's in the middle of the path way with crappy movies.

3. Meh

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 17:44      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first read the subject I was thinking mile high club. I was kind of disapointed when I opened it, try not letting it happen again please.

Thank you in advance,

MacD

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 17:47      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first read the subject I was thinking mile high club. I was kind of disapointed when I opened it, try not letting it happen again please.

Thank you in advance,

MacD

Edit: I have no clue how this got posted twice, but somehow it did.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 19:16      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Is anybody out there in the inflight entertainment business? Yes. I write buggy avionics software. It entertains me, but not the passengers.

2) Does anybody have any remarkable stories about music etc they've heard on a plane? If I'm not working, I pack my own music.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mighty
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 20:07      Profile for Mighty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Out of curiosity...

1) No.
2) How remarkable can music be?
3) You're talking about Apple's products like the iPod and the iPhone? Well I'm not a big fan of the iPod because it's kinda overrated.. [crazy]

--------------------
Hi everyone. I'm looking for German speakers I could practice my German with. If you are a German speaker (preferably native) please PM me.

Posts: 11 | From: Israel | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 20:50      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) nope.
2) let me see... erm.. no?
3) they are the inspiration of my life [Big Grin]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 21:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JamesDublin wrote:

I'll answer that.
<soapbox>

My company makes an embedded system based on VxWorks that's used for monitoring the condition of industrial machinery.

Some of the first of these units currently have uptimes nearing 8 years.

The servers they communicate with are based on Windows. They have redundant, hot-swappable power supplies, RAID and UPS backup. In some critical installations, there is also a fallback server to take over if the original server does somehow manage to die. If both servers are unavailable, the monitoring units buffer their data in internal memory and wait until they get a server back and will send everything without missing a beat.

Apple's crap may not be as bad as the consumer level Windows crap that's sold in the general retail market, but it's still crap compared to what can be done.

It's not all Apple's fault, however... the sad fact is that most people will pay a huge overhead for cheap, stylish crap that won't last. They won't play a lot for quality that will last and doesn't have the newest/shiniest/buggiest features available. Apple, just like Microsoft and virtually every other successful tech company, will go where the highest profit margins are.

</soapbox>

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 22:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooooh...I could have so much fun with Point #3...and I'm typing this on my MacBook. [Big Grin]

Apple support for real IT depts is *horrible.* If my network ran entirely on Apple computers, I'd quit. I'd probably be a lot happier with a Dell or IBM network of Debian boxen, but that's not happening any time soon, so I'll get by with Dell & XP, thank-you-very-much. M$ bugs pay the bills. :-/

That said, you can pry this 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo out of my cold dead hands. [Wink]
It's a fantastic computer...for my needs. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 01:56      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen: VxWorks is kind of neat. My satellite modem used that, so I did some reading when I was writing a script to reboot it remotely rather than power-cycle it by unplugging. (Satellite internet sucks and you have to power-cycle the modem a lot.)

Dman: Old Compaq servers were pretty nice and they had pretty good support, don't know how it is now that they're HP. I think maswan may have some fairly recently installed racks of Compaq/HP though. (Though he has a fondness for IBM.)

As far as in-flight entertainment, I bring my own. Usually in the form of a book and laptop. I could use a good set of noise canceling headphones to go with my mp3 player though, then I'd probably use that too.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture