homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Harry Potter free zone. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Harry Potter free zone.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 14:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J.K. Rowling has said now that she's finished the Potter books, she's going to rest a spell before starting any new projects.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 16:40      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does everyone always compare HP to LOTR? With the exception of being in the fantasy genre and written by Brits, they are completely different. (Okay, okay, and they both employ the "good vs. evil" plot device.)

- Both brits.

- Both "good" vrs "evil" with the main charater having the source of all evil talking in their head.

- Neither shy away from killing or death.

- Neither is Allegorical.

-Good is the underdog.

-Both have Evil defeated and making a come back, and follows the hero on a quest of risking life, and limb to overcome.

-Both place great emphasis on friendship, loyalty, courage and valour.

- Both are episodic in their adventures, where you can drop pieces and the main plot is unaffected.

I finished the last book on Sunday. I didn't like it (or the 6th book, actually) as much as I liked the earlier ones. I think the first three or four were the best in the series. I don't think J.K. Rowling writes older teens as well as she does younger characters.

A lot of people didn't like the stuff after Cedric dies, because it's a lot darker and Harry and friends don't really change that much through the
process of their adventures. The later books were also written with the movies in mind, and she made concessions to the actors and actresses and just the feasibility of the scenes. That said, I really like HP:OotP, HP:HBP and HP:DH

And for all the complaining adults: They're kid's books. Get over it.
The first books and the main story line were written without an audience in mind. It wasn't meant to be either a children's book or adult fiction. The later books also cater to the fact that the younger audiences found favour on the story.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 17:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can think of another similarity or two, but I won't list then becasue they would be spoilers.

However, you dig around enough and you'll find yourself being able to compare any given epic to any other epic. For one thing, many epics have this in common: The Hero's Journey. The whole pattern repeats in all sorts of classic, epic tales, all the way back to the ancients, as anyone who's done enough reading will notice (hell, I think you even see it crop up a few times in the Bible). Given that writers are also readers, I'm sure Tolkien and Rowling were more than aware of the pattern. They may not have pasted the nice little "Hero's Journey" label on the pattern, but I'm absolutely positive they knew what it was.

As to why people like to draw comparisons between LOTR and HP in particular, and not LOTR and some other epic and HP and some other epic, well, HP and LOTR both got popular simultaneously (well, in the case of LOTR, more like re-popular but you know what I mean), so of course people started connecting the obvious dots. You could do similar with HP and Star Wars, and LOTR and Star Wars (and, in fact, that also happened).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 17:58      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the fact that people spend so much time end energy trying to over analyze a set of children's books.

They weren't meant for people to write their doctoral thesis on. They were meant to entertain fifth graders.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2007 13:12      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
I love the fact that people spend so much time end energy trying to over analyze a set of children's books.

They weren't meant for people to write their doctoral thesis on. They were meant to entertain fifth graders.

I have a suspicion most authors don't write their books, even those that have become classics, with intentions to be something analyzed. Most books are meant to be enjoyed, plain and simple. But they are all written by humans. I guess what amazes me about literature is the fact that there are so many common themes. Writing is itself an art and pulls out of the human collective conscious. So why sure, they may not be meant to be overanalyzed.But that certainly doesn't exclude them from it.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
NervousWreck
Newbie Larva
Member # 9666

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 10:06      Profile for NervousWreck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first three books were the best. The only really good part of the seventh was the Epilogue which was probably the best single chapter in the whole series.

Let's face it. Rowling is not a very good writer. But even so, she managed to hit on these awesome characters and a truly great setting, which you have to love even though the writing ain't that hot

--------------------
To err is human, to forgive, divine.
(someone-or-other)

Posts: 5 | From: elsewhere | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 11:00      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:

I have a suspicion most authors don't write their books, even those that have become classics, with intentions to be something analyzed. Most books are meant to be enjoyed, plain and simple. But they are all written by humans. I guess what amazes me about literature is the fact that there are so many common themes. Writing is itself an art and pulls out of the human collective conscious. So why sure, they may not be meant to be overanalyzed.But that certainly doesn't exclude them from it.
I agree. There are a lot of things people create that they never intended to have analyzed, but that doesn't make those works unworthy of it.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 01:22      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NervousWreck:
Let's face it. Rowling is not a very good writer. But even so, she managed to hit on these awesome characters and a truly great setting, which you have to love even though the writing ain't that hot

I think you need to differentiate between not being a "good writer" and not being a writer of great literary or artistic merit. Her books are obviously entertainment. Her writing is clear and easy to read and doesn't detract or distract from the story she's trying to tell. I don't think she ever set out to be classed with Shakespeare or Hemingway. Her writing is fine. It serves its purpose: to tell a story.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 08:28      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno about Potter, never read any, watched the first film on a plane.

Tolkein on the other hand is dull. Boring dull childish rubbish. And the films were crap too.

But then again, maybe he's a great writer and I'm a crap reader. I also thought that ulysses was awful. (One of the few books I've not finished - along with the hobbit).

And I don't like star wars either. And the matrix was drivel of the worst kind (invoking perpetual motion as a reason to keep humans alive - ridiculous). But hey, if you like that sort of thing, go ahead.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 08:36      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a much better Series of books by a much Better Writer, if that's what you want...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2007 01:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

No comment.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2007 15:44      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that from a few years back. My wife became a harry potter fan. Now she has seen this photo and is wanting togo see the new fillum

-

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture