homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Harry Potter free zone. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Harry Potter free zone.
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 18, 2007 07:23      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that is me, never read one of the books, never saw any of the films, so do I really care about the last book, nope!

To think some people compare it to 'Lord of the Rings', sheesh [devil wand] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 07:39      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Swiss haven't seen you around for awhile.

I have the excuse of that it was the first real novel I actually read so I have to finish the series.

Well it is better then Lord of the Rings. The writing style might be crap but the plot line and development of the characters is excelent in the hp books. I myself liked the first Lord of the Rings book and was half way through the second when I had to stop reading it for a month - when I finally had time to finish the book it didn't appeal to me at all and I just gave up on the book and let it die.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 07:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stevenback7, are you the sort of person who cries "fire" in a crowded theater? Just asking...

I've read LOTR and all the HP books to date. Each has its strengths, I love them both, but for some reason I have this odd feeling that twenty years from now I'll still be re-reading LOTR while HP is collecting dust on my shelf (or getting abused by my kids, assuming that ever happens).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 08:21      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S7,
I had the same issue with LOTR, found them *very* hard to get through the first time. I have a thing where if I can't imagine the pronunciation of the character/place/thing easily in my head, I stumble over it every time, and can't keep going. As an aside, I have tried clockwork orange a half dozen times, and can't get past the second chapter. Stupid glossary.
Anyhoo, I think one of the reasons I couldn't get through LOTR is my age, or maturity level. I am not saying that you are not enough of either, but revisiting them in 5 years may produce an entirely different opinion. It did for me, and I have read them a dozen times since then.
In any case, I also thoroughly enjoy HP, and quite look forward to the last book, but I ain't waiting in any stinkin line.

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 09:05      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could give a rat's ass about Harry Potter. I tend to gravitate AWAY from things that become pop culture icons. Call me a rebel.

I read LOTR in high school. Granted, it wasn't easy, but I finally did make it through them. The movies were beautifully done, though so much was missing. I was impressed with them.

I did see one HP movie - the first. It was cute. But for someone who's as deep a fantasy freak as I am, it left a lot to be desired. It's target audience is kids. Maybe that's why I'm not a fan.

--------------------
Great friendships can only exist between equals

Posts: 68 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 09:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swiss: Me too!</aol>

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 18, 2007 09:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the whole magic and wizards thing doesn't interest me. Never has... it's just not scientific.

Now if Harry Potter received super powers from a gamma ray machine accident, or was bitten by a radioactive spider, that would be a whole different story! [Big Grin] [Geek]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 09:52      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been watching the movies, but I've never read any of the books. I'll probably rent HP:OotP when it comes out on DVD, but I'm not rushing to the theater to see it.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 10:01      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only funny, if you're old like me.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 10:28      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry Potter is fun, but it certainly (in my opinion) does not even belong in the same classification as LOTR.

I'm greatly anticipating HP7, but just because I want some closure (and from what I've heard, there might be very little of that.)

I take issues with both series; things that should have been more thought out. Here they are:

For Harry Potter:
- Harry is pansy. He's fighting Voldemort, and yet he sucks at magic. He could at least try, for Gods' sakes.
- What is magic? Where does it come from? I want to know.
- Who decides what verbal incantations mean what? Is it like setting your $PATH variable? Do chinese magicians use pseudo-latin as well?

For Lord of the Rings:
- Why didn't they just have the eagle fly them to Mount Doom to destroy the ring?

These things have bothered me for a while. My friends all say that I'm over-analyzing, but hey, that's what I do with books. One of the reasons Roger Zelazny is my favourite author is because when there's magic involved, it's always explained somehow- either it's actually very advanced technology, or there's a source of energy that can be manipulated to do stuff.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

NervousWreck
Newbie Larva
Member # 9666

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 10:38      Profile for NervousWreck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all Zelazny was insane. A very good author but still nuts.

Second HP is mediocre fantasy and moreso than ever since the 6th, but i still ordered the latest boook b/c I like it. Even the truly great fantasy series like LOTR or the Legend of Drizzt are not worth the commotion you see.

--------------------
To err is human, to forgive, divine.
(someone-or-other)

Posts: 5 | From: elsewhere | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 12:46      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently reading book seven from that dodgy internet leak. Of course, I'll also be buying the book the day it comes out. And yes, of course I prefer LotR.

Anyway, omg spam!

http://listgames.net/harrypotter
http://listgames.net/gryffindorstudents
http://listgames.net/harrypotterprofessors
http://listgames.net/harrypotterincantations

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 13:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
I'm currently reading book seven from that dodgy internet leak.

Is that the one where Harry, Hermione, and Dumbledore have a threesome?
I dunno how to break this to you Max, but there are doubts about its authenticity.

btw - An oft-repeated claim is that J.K. Rowling insisted on using all british actors in the movies.
If any of these 'journalists' had taken even a moment to check their facts, (or had bothered to watch the films) they'd know it's not true

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 13:31      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
For Lord of the Rings:
- Why didn't they just have the eagle fly them to Mount Doom to destroy the ring?

Because it would have been so much more evident that Sauron would have reacted immediately? Because the Nazguls would still have been around to stop them? Because the eagle might not have been able to resist the ring and could have ditched the ringbearer to keep it? Or maybe, because the story wouldn't have been as good? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 13:43      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried reading one once, but, to quote Dorothy Parker: "I couldn't put it down -- I had to throw it across the room."

Yes, fair play to the lady for capturing the imaginations of the young and all that, but give me lust / death / mass murder / shape-shifting alien-sex-mutants any day.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 14:01      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine ____ No i'm the person who plots how to annoy to hell out of people in theatres but never feels like following through.

NoRealReason ____ yeah now when I read the first Lord of the rings book I think i was in grade 7 or 8 - now I'm in grade 12 but still not going to make an effort to pick the book up again. I think its just not my kind of writing style and development.

TSG _____ Well i was one of the people who didn't start reading Harry Potter because it was what everyone else was doing. I think I read the first book right before the whole frenzy got started. The books have become darker and such but it again it is no where near certain authors.

But I will buy the last book on the first day it comes out - I will enjoy reading it but i will also enjoy finally closing the book. The series will reside on my book shelf and when I have kids (whenever that is) it will be something I can share with them that I enjoyed as a child.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 18, 2007 14:19      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've watched all the films to date and read the chamber of secrets, IMO the story was well done and I was capable of reading it wuthout falling asleep.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2007 19:50      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to read the first couple of books for work. Given the change in writing style from the first to second books, I suspect they got a ghost writer in.

Terry Pratchett is *way* better (also just started reading Martin Millar's books which are also way better).

As far as Tolkien is concerned, he hit his peak with The Hobbit and after that it was just over long remixes.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 05:56      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug* I like 'em.
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 09:07      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm methinks I might have fed a troll or two [evil]
[Wink] [Razz]

I suppose that the hype got to me and so I am doing my bit in resisting it.

Hope Harry dies, that way we are sure there will be no follow-ups, unless J.K. does a Conan-Doyle.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 10:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried reading the first Harry Potter book, but I'm afraid it was all greek to me.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 14:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I tried reading the first Harry Potter book, but I'm afraid it was all greek to me.

I knew this thread would turn into a punfest wand day.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 14:23      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, leave it to Steen to conjure up the first pun.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 13:52      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does everyone always compare HP to LOTR? With the exception of being in the fantasy genre and written by Brits, they are completely different. (Okay, okay, and they both employ the "good vs. evil" plot device.)

I finished the last book on Sunday. I didn't like it (or the 6th book, actually) as much as I liked the earlier ones. I think the first three or four were the best in the series. I don't think J.K. Rowling writes older teens as well as she does younger characters. In some ways it seems like aging the characters is forced. It also seemed to me that she was rushing the book, just to get through it and get everything tied up. Overall though, it's a good series and she has a whimsical imagination and a clear writing style.

And for all the complaining adults: They're kid's books. Get over it.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 14:24      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

Actually, I think that's worth adding to my wish list.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture