homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Outdoor Wood-Fired Pizza Ovens!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outdoor Wood-Fired Pizza Ovens!
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 20:08      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in love.

I have to build an outdoor, wood-fired, brick pizza oven.

It's like salmon to spawning ground. Moths to a fire. Righties to a big fat lie.

Well, OK, Cinnamon says I need one, and Sweet Chastity thinks it would be fun, too. Who am I to argue?

Anyway, the idea seems really cool. I'm in uber-geek mode finding every thing about them. I want to build it myself, too.

Here on the southeast shore of Lake Michigan there is plenty of apple wood for stoking a fire, too.

Anybody know anything about this?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 20:23      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds really cool

Don't have a clue on how to build one but fresh pizza from a wood fired brick pizza oven sounds delicious.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 20:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vaguely remember there being some tricks to mixing the mortar, the usual mix doesn't cope well with frequent exposure to fire. Don't have any details, sorry.

Of course, the first rule of pizza making is... there is no such thing as too much garlic.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 14, 2007 23:37      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, I love pizza made the ol' style; it's more tasty.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 07:16      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Wikipedia
quote:
Wood-fired ovens are most commonly made of cob, brick brick or refractory cement. Regardless of material they all have an oven chamber consisting of a floor, a dome and an entry.

For some foods, wood-fired ovens are far superior to conventional gas or electric ovens. Food is cooked evenly since heat is conducted from the floor below and at the same time radiated from the dome above. A wood oven can cook a pizza in 90 seconds and reach as high as 500°C/900°F, the temperature that is mandated for authentic VPN, or Naples-style, pizza.

Another wikipedia link

And... http://woodfiredpizza.org/ a site that is "dedicated to amateur bakers who want to build woodfired ovens for pizza, bread, and other foods."

Oh... it's making my mouth water just thinking of it!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 07:44      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP,
I built an outdoor pizza oven about 4 years ago in my backyard. I basically used the Sunset magazine adobe oven as a guide, and modified it as I felt like it. Instead of building it directly on the foundation, as they have, I build a 3x4x4 cinderblock platform for it to rest on. I do remember mixing fire-clay in with the mortar to set the firebrick floor. The best trick I learned from that article was using a cardboard barrel cut in half to form the dome. One thing, the opening that the article suggests was something like 12 or 13' wide, which was nowhere near wide enough for my pizza peel. I adjusted the opening by using the width of my peel, adding a couple of inches on either side, and then using a formula to come up with how high the oven should be. I have since forgotten the formula, but it should be somewhere in the excellent page MacMan pointed out.
It was a long, labor intensive project, especially since I had never built anything with cinderblocks, bricks or adobe before, but it was fun also, and well worth it. I wish I had made my adobe walls and dome thicker. I wish I had built in an ash drop. Other than that, it went fairly smoothly, and we enjoyed our pizzas cooked in about a minute. Give it a try.
Sunset Adobe Oven

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 10:25      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Of course, the first rule of pizza making is... there is no such thing as too much garlic.

Tell that to Dracula.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
whoson1st
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 13:13      Profile for whoson1st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Agreed...if you run out of garlic, you run out of food. I'm in the habit of keeping fresh garlic, garlic powder, and garlic salt in my cabinets...woe betide the individual coming to dinner who has no taste for garlic.

--------------------
Honesty is the best policy...but insanity is a far better defense.

Posts: 10 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 13:28      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just no crushed garlic... why ruin such a beautiful thing?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 15:17      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember, long years ago, in my youth, some buddies and I drove up to Flathead lake with my dad's boat and just got hammered over 4th-O-July weekend. Anyways, we were hungry, so we drove into a wee town called Lakeside and stopped at a pizza place. We ordered a nice big pizza, and five minutes later the guy hands it to us and says, 'here ya be.' Apparently, they didn't cook them- they just made them, kind of a papa-murphy's type deal.

So we took our pizza back to our camp, built up a huge fire, and let it settle to coals. Then, we put the grae down low (I should mention that this was a standard Forest Service fire pit) and put the pizza on it. Then we took a mylar space blanket and covered the entire thing and waited for 45 minutes; oila, delicious pizza!

Of course, the wood we used was pine, so it tasted a little- odd. But not bad. Just thought I'd share my wood-baked pizza story.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 18:53      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is sooooo cool.

Thanks everybody for your encouragement on this project.

Special thanks to MacManKrisK and NoRealReason for the great links!

NoReal, I hope the 10' restrictions mentioned in Sunset will allow for a variance here in Glacier Melt. I have gone to a small footprint lifestyle and don't have much room in the back yard. I hope firewalls can help me on this subject -- much like they do when they allow a fireplace in a home.

Kris, I've seen those links before, but I'm reassured to know somebody else has confidence in them. NoReal, I may need those dome curve calculations you came up with, since I have a small space and need to make the most of it. I have seen pizza ovens built on patios in Tokyo, so something has to give!

This project started as some side research for a writing project on ovens and the history of cooking -- think "Modern Marvels" type of stuff. And in the middle of the research I came across the bread ovens of the Medeterranian. (Rhonnie, will you proof the spelling on this for me? Thanks, doll.) Cool enough, but one night during the research, I caught a hint of an apple wood fire and knew exactly what was going on -- kinky sex and wood-fired pizza. How dare they out-Colonel the Colonel! Bambi was pissed, so was Sin-amon and Sweet Chastitty!

Here in Glacier Melt, apple wood is quite common. Just ask KrisK, cause he's from about 10 miles south of here. So this is now a must have!

The weather has been cool and dry and just perfect for firing up a wood oven and having friends over for pizza.

I have been looking for a long time for the perfect thin crust pizza dough recipe and found this: http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php

The recipe will give you the Shakey's pizza crust made even more famous on "South Park". I will testify after cloning righty-banned embryos that this is authentic. I'm not busting your balls here, either [Wink] !

Basil, Roma Tomatoes and Garlic come straight from the garden. In fact the patio is set in the middle of it all. The Romas are perfect for sauce (I reduce about 36 quarts a year). Plus the fresh ones go right on the pizza.

I bake it in a steam-assisted convection oven with a pizza stone and it is OK, but I want something better. Something with a special cache, something a little bit freaky -- a little bit geeky. And this is it.

Cool nights in Glacier Melt on the Sunny banks of Lake Michigan.

Kris, if you and your dead heads want to stop by, that would be fine.

Bring Mr. Mo-Man with you, too!

No righties allowed, unless they want to pretend they are a pizza!

MMMMMMMMM. Pizza.

Thanks all!

Colonel Panic

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 19:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey now! I'm probably what you'd call a "right-winger," but you also called me "doll." Hmmm... do I see a bit of a soft side peaking through that crusty exterior, CP? [Wink]

But since you asked: Mediterranean [Applause]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 19:47      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonnie,

As long as poor-spelling, overpaid writers like me need proofreaders, righties like you will always be a considered a "doll" -- minimum.

Don't you have that in your current contract?

As for crusty -- 600-degress F will do just fine, sweetie.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture