homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Care Packages and such

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Care Packages and such
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 09:50      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,

As you know, one of our own here from GCF is out there doing his duty (you know who you are!). :-) So regardless of my views on the situation the fact remains that these soldiers are out there doing what they need to do. It's a long way from home. So I did what I could and sent a care package.

Then I got to thinking that I'd like to do the same for a Canadian soldier out in Afghanistan. However, it's not as easy as it seems. After some googling, I just cannot seem to find any helpful website that could possibly set me up with a name! There were plenty for US Soldiers, but not for Canadians.

I did write to one person I knew of and asked him. This was his reply:
quote:
You are correct. Care packages for soldiers must be addressed to specific individuals. Contrary to public opinion - it has nothing to do with operational security. It has to do with cargo plains being overloaded. There are no "mail runs" from Canada post out there so it goes out on military flights. So space is at a premium given other supplies.

Your best bet is to go to a armouries for reservist unit in your area and see if you can coax the OR into giving you the name of one of the deployed members there. You might get lucky or you might run into a very anal clerk. But it's worth a try.

Thanks for your support and on behalf of soldiers
deployed past and presetn thank you for your well
wishes.

So, any Canucks out there think they can give me a hand in this small endeavour?

Thanks!

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 14:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty ___________________________ GOOD ON YA!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 19:32      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother is currently on the workup to go over, his unit deploys for Afghanistan in January 08. He should be able to get a couple names/more info for you if you like. I'll PM you with info if I can get it.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 04:04      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toobe, that's great! It's much appreciated! If he knows of anyone currently deployed there now that's even better! Thanks a lot!

Looking forward to hearing from you with more info!

//bbk

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 07:34      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get soldiers' names from this organization. They are very reliable and you can send a variety of things. We've been sending boots and foods, snack items and personal hygiene items for years. It seems our government is not making many such things available to our troops. Talk to anyone who's been there...

PS - I recommend using the USPS (for those in the States)Priority Mail Flat Rate Shipping Box. It is only available for shipments to continental US, but since the military POs you'll be using are all stateside, it will work. The box is free at your Post Office or online and the cost to ship (up to 70 pounds) is only $8.95. The military handles the distribution in the combat areas.

Please read the items not to include, since putting in such things as candy bars(which melt) and perfumed items (which leak) can easily ruin the other contents of your shipment.

gg

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 09:50      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BBK is Canadian, and was lamenting the lack of organized care package set-ups for the Canadian Militia. This link explains acceptable donations at this point. In summary: Send cash. Yeah, well, not all of us are bazillionaires, and we do what we can . . . mostly baking.

HOWEVER, communicating with U.S. groups as to how to start an organization (you could call your group CARE:Canadian Army Relief Effort) will give you an idea of how to help.

Contact Canadian celebrities (like Lynn Johnston, who writes the syndicated comic For Better or For Worse, or maybe our very own Nitrozac and Snaggy can get on board and publicize it once it's established) to see if you can get them on board and your cause visible and public. See if local rotary and veterans' organizations can help, too, because they might be able to get lists of soldiers, or they might even be able to get a care package organization set up with you.

I understand why it's best not to to a general post situation: If an organization oversees the packaging of items and sends them, the chances of getting an incendiary device are next-to-nil.

Good luck, and I hope that your call to action works!

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 05:29      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the support and suggestions, Just_Jess! They're much appreciated! However, I suspect that such listings are not available for Canadian soldiers because it would just be a huge load on the delivery system. From what information I've found, space is a valuable commodity on the transport vehicles in their delivery system. This is probably why either stuff is sent in bulk, or if care packages are sent that they be addressed to individuals (i.e., someone you know).

The idea of trying to organize something seems noble enough, but I doubt I would not be the first to do so. If such a thing were successful I think I would have hit upon something while Googling. So, as an individual, if I can just get a couple of names of Canadian soldiers who can use a care package, that would be great! Then I would have done my part to boost their morale. :-)

So, Toobe and anyone else, if you've got a few names, please PM me with them. :-)

P.S.
It seems that baked goods are discouraged from care package to Canadian troops as it might be weeks before they receieve them. I found a whole list of what can or cannot be sent on one of the Canadian Dept of Defense sites.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture