homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Heh heh -- like it! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Heh heh -- like it!
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 06:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting piece of news.{BBC.co.uk}

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 06:57      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting tactic!

But then again, if some still insist on being stupid then let Darwinism take its course! ;-)

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 07:13      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm. Don't know how effective that will be. I think it would just give women something to giggle about as men whiz by on the highway.

"there goes another needle dick, tee hee!"

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 07:24      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they do say that some guys compensate by driving fast, fancy cars! ;-)
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 07:38      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. But not as bad as the guys with the big huge lift kits on their trucks [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 07:41      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean the bigger and badder the vehicle the smaller and tinier *it* is???
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 07:59      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. I shrink by 4 inches whenever I get into my Vette [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 08:03      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
Yup. I shrink by 4 inches whenever I get into my Vette [Big Grin]

Which is why I drive it. Of course, it makes me want to go hoochie-momma blonde, get a bad perm and a leathery tan, and chain-smoke Marlboros while wearing ginormous rhinestone-studded sunnies and 6-inch heels while cruising for 16 year old boys, but it's just one of those things.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 26, 2007 08:06      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
But then again, if some still insist on being stupid then let Darwinism take its course! ;-)

(Side note: the problem is that they don't only kill themselves, but often take innocents with them... [Frown] )

Other than that, I am curious to know the results of that experiment. [Big Grin]

Now, how are they going to convice young drivers that nobody wants to hear their music full blast past midnight - or at anytime at all. (Right, it doesn't kill, but it's another case of "Look at me! I'm not manly enough to get women's attention otherwise!")

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 08:33      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, even if I am impressed with the car, I may not necessarily be impressed with the person behind the wheel.

[Razz]

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 08:53      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It won't work. Driving fast as a teenage boy isn't about impressing girls; it's about impressing other teenage boys. I know we all like to sound like master psychologists when we say 'Hurr hurr, nice car = small penis', but in reality it's just yet another way of competing with each other.

It's the same with sound systems. Since serious iron and gas are too expensive anymore, dropping a couple hundred dollars into a sound system can give you something "impressive" that you can brag about to other guys. "Hey, I have an 800-watt amp running a 2-ohm DVC 10-inch sub", says one kid. Then his buddy talks about his 1000-watt, 15-inch sub. And of course, to prove their system is better, they can always have a battle of the bass.

Besides, they've let the cat out of the bag; now the drivers know what the campaign is meant to do, it's pointless, just like anti-smoking and anti-drinking campaigns here.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 09:00      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might as well use a campaign where the slogan is something like: "Now that you've killed yourself speeding, whom are you going to impress?"
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 09:57      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I know we all like to sound like master psychologists when we say 'Hurr hurr, nice car = small penis', but in reality it's just yet another way of competing with each other.

Well, if you like pseudo-psychology, you just got the right subject. What's the point of competing between males if not to become the alpha-male and then... get the girls? Group behaviour haven't evolved much; young males try to impress, young girls go for the strongest (even if faked)...

Ah! I long for the day the teens won't let their animal instincts control their mating process! (But I won't hold my breath.)

Oh, and I disagree that having the scheme out will kill it - you forgot group influence. Boys may not be impressed at first, but girls will pick on the habit of showing the little finger to speeders, and then do laugh-and-point at school. ("Girls, listen to this! You know, the basketball team captain? I was shopping yesterday - found an adorable short at the mall, by the way - and just as I was heading home to catch up on my preferred chat room, I saw him speeding past me. Guess what I did?"* [shows little finger among her giggling friends]) And what could be worse for a boy than having a group of girls laughing at him, ridiculing his manhood?

*Translate to random local teen-speak if you wish so.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 09:59      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem is that people aren't dumb enough to go for advertising like that. It's just not the way it works. You have to be much more subtle.

--------------------

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 10:26      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
It's the same with sound systems. Since serious iron and gas are too expensive anymore, dropping a couple hundred dollars into a sound system can give you something "impressive" that you can brag about to other guys. "Hey, I have an 800-watt amp running a 2-ohm DVC 10-inch sub", says one kid. Then his buddy talks about his 1000-watt, 15-inch sub. And of course, to prove their system is better, they can always have a battle of the bass.

early to mid 90's i was in car audio competition

'93 ford ranger, std cab - won 1st or 2nd in *every* SQL (sound quality) competition i entered

i managed to get "only" 138dB, but loud wasn't my goal

$13k truck, ~$17k sound system

was with a group though, pirate radio in vernon, ct, who had mid 80-s rabbit with stupidly large amounts of amps and batteries and *8* 15" cerwin-vega woofers
from what i remember, they set a world record of somewhere around 166dB at the time, short-lived though

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 10:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You have to be much more subtle.

Dude -- this is Australia we're talking about -- I'm not sure they're familiar with that concept. [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 11:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
You have to be much more subtle.

Dude -- this is Australia we're talking about -- I'm not sure they're familiar with that concept. [Wink] [Razz]
And Americans would get it?

Winter: Personally, I was puzzled by that remark of yours as well. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 11:10      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Puzzled lol

I am obviously wrong... I keep forgetting how easily culture is controlled by advertising. After all, I buy Coke because I know Santa prefers it, smoke Marlboros because it makes me a Cowboy, and I bought Gillette razors because it's a close as a man can get, and therefore it's the best.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 13:01      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am obviously wrong... I keep forgetting how easily culture is controlled by advertising. After all, I buy Coke because I know Santa prefers it, smoke Marlboros because it makes me a Cowboy, and I bought Gillette razors because it's a close as a man can get, and therefore it's the best.

[Roll Eyes]

"When I'm watchin' my TV
And that man comes on to tell me
How white my shirts can be
But he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarrettes as me
I can't get no, oh no no no
Hey hey hey, that's what I say

"I can't get no satisfaction."

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 13:33      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - the scary part is when I read that I thought of Devo first [Big Grin]

I can't believe I now have that crappy rendition stuck in my head.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 14:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now all we need is an ad that shows women who tailgate in their Rangerovers while talking on their mobile phone and drinking coffee have saggy tits and bad breath.

Not that I'm bitter or anything, but it's lucky for her I don't carry a gun in the glovebox.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 14:57      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok - the scary part is when I read that I thought of Devo first [Big Grin]

I can't believe I now have that crappy rendition stuck in my head.

That, my friend, is a classic. And you clearly need these.

Now whip it! Whip it good!
Edit: Hmm - the link doesn't work for me here in the UK - anyone able to see the video?

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 06:16      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo Action Figures... now that's funny [Big Grin]

--------------------

NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 06:45      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, if not for the impressionable kids in my home, I would love to have the t-shirt i saw that says:

<Picture of Hummer here>
I see you have a small penis

I would love to wear that out whenever possible, but the questions from the kids would make the wife unhappy [Big Grin]

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 09:44      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When women ask why I drive such a small car (a Mini Cooper) I grin and say "I have to compensate" [Big Grin]
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture