homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » lunchtime! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: lunchtime!
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 06:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty wrote:
But delusions are fat-free too, rean't they?

Yes, but they always leave you feeling empty. Souls are much more filling.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 06:34      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
BooBooKitty wrote:
But delusions are fat-free too, rean't they?

Yes, but they always leave you feeling empty. Souls are much more filling.

Good point. So where can I find some souls?
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 06:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might try this place. They'll even give you a quote on how much your soul is worth.

*edit*
(or they would, if the site wasn't broken)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 12:54      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
every thing you eat, when organic or not, is completly 100%, made of chemicals.

You have me there, but I would prefer to avoid eating things like Sodium Tripolyphosphate. However, yes, I recognize most of those. How about this: I'd prefer to eat things I recognize as edible raw components. For example: citric acid instead of sodium benzoate. I know where citric acid comes from and it's usable as food. Sodium benzoate is an unstable salt which breaks down into a poison.

Plus, I am a staunch believer that taste has a stable metric: the Calorie.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 14:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:

Plus, I am a staunch believer that taste has a stable metric: the Calorie. [/QB]

Don't you mean the kilojoule? I had to mention that since you used the word metric. At least don't call it a calorie, it is a kilocalorie.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 14:50      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Don't you mean the kilojoule? I had to mention that since you used the word metric. At least don't call it a calorie, it is a kilocalorie.

[Big Grin] [/QB]

Calorie with at capital C is the kilocalorie .

People who try to split hairs in order to look smart annoy the crap out of me.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 15:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earth to Ashitaka: the unit of energy used by biochemists the world over is calorie. I don't know why we do it this way, but that's the way it is. Maybe because biochemical reactions are, by their nature, aqueous, and so it makes sense to just standardize everything against the amount of energy it takes to heat one gram of water one degree Celsius (oh look, it's metric units!). Because humans use so much energy, the amount of energy produced by a serving of food is best expressed as kilocalories, but since no one likes to read their food packages and realize that they're consuming hundreds of thousands of calories (no shame in that, your basal metabolic rate is about 1.3 MILLION calories), the nutritionists (aka biochemists who obsess about food) introduced the dietary calorie, which is the Calorie. One Calorie is, as WS pointed out, one kcal.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 21:07      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
metric, noun, defined as:

A system of related measures that facilitates the quantification of some particular characteristic [syn: system of measurement].

That is what I said and what I meant.

However, the kilojoule and the calorie are both considered to be synonymous in the realm of food energy calculation. It's just that the United States decided not to change a perfectly good metric . . . erm, sorry . . . SYSTEM OF MEASUREMENT:

"Kilojoules and calories measure the energy value of food. The amount of energy depends on the amount of carbohydrates, proteins and fat the food contains.

Fats and alcohol are the most energy-dense foods. Australia now uses kilojoules, but calories are still used as a measurement in the US. One calorie is equivalent to 4.186 kilojoules (rounded off to 4.2 kilojoules)."

-- source, http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,19767877-5006012,00.html

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 00:25      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Calorie with at capital C is the kilocalorie .

People who try to split hairs in order to look smart annoy the crap out of me. [/QB]

I seem to unintentionally dig myself into holes in this here forum alot.

I had no idea capitol C was a kcal. Thanks for the info. I was just mentioning that, as stated before, I really don't like how the US measures things, it is ok if you do, I don't, and I like to mention that. If I mention that too often and is anoys you, well thats life, sorry.

Speaking af measuring energy, even here electricity, natural gas, and food mesurements of energy all have different units. Energy is energy. I wish people would pick one unit and stick with it.

Sorry for stepping on all your toes, I am a bad dancer.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 06:18      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's cool [Smile] We all have our days.

I suspect half of the people on this site would only buy me a drink in order to throw it in my face [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture