homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Squirrel Nut Zippers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Squirrel Nut Zippers
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 21:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw them tonight at a local theater with The Old Ceremony as their opening band.

A few observations:

Six feet in front of the trumpet player is a very loud place to sit.

I wouldn't have thought I'd like a song featuring a xylophone solo, but I do.

Sitting next to a hyperactive swing dancer who chugs back two red bulls prior to the show is actually more dangerous than being in a mosh pit. I have the bruises for proof.

Not to be topped by The Old Ceremony, the Squirrel Nut Zippers added in both a tuba solo and a tuba/bass guitar duet on one song.

Tubas may not be as high pitched as a trumpet, but they are no less loud.

So... I'm half deaf, bruised and tired. Obviously I enjoyed it. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 00:06      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw them a few years back in Myrtle Beach at the House of Blues. Good Show.
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 02:24      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they still around? I was just wondering if I could scrounge up one of their CDs the other day.

Nice.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 25, 2007 09:40      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I have a few of their CDs. Cool that they're still kicking about!
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 10:11      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! I'm listening to them right now!

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted June 25, 2007 18:27      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do people now just play the "close my eyes and put my finger on a random word in the dictionary" to build new band names? I had a LOGO program which did stuff like this . . .

I'll give a listen, but I'm not going to get my indie groove on saying that I knew the "Squirrel Nut Zippers" before they broke up and the lead guitarist created "Squirrel Nutsack" and the bassist started "My Nuts in Your Zipper".

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 18:30      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Squirrel Nut Zippers was named after a candy bar. [Smile]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 18:35      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
Squirrel Nut Zippers was named after a candy bar. [Smile]

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

I thought you were messing with my head! Now I have to find them!

Hooray! Now I have a quest: to request "Squirrel Nut Zippers" at every candy store I go to just to see their faces! And when I clarify it, saying, "Oh, well, they're also known as 'Squirrel Nut Chews'."

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 19:15      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also ask if they got any Bawls

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 19:21      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, not a candy bar but small piece of penny candy. Do they even have penny candy anymore? The original factory is about a mile from here. [Smile]
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 13:09      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
Actually, not a candy bar but small piece of penny candy. Do they even have penny candy anymore? The original factory is about a mile from here. [Smile]

You can buy penny candies at novelty candy stores, but they're about $20 per pound these days.

--------------------

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 14:46      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, I've seen those places - yum! I was wondering if you could actually buy a piece of penny candy for a penny now, or even if they still have 1 gumball machines?
*tries to remember to look when next at a grocery store*

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 15:43      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freaky small world moment today . . . my father works with a performance artist named MD Baer (aka Mr. Baer) in the Monterey/Big Sur area who is friends with Tom Maxwell, who was a Squirrel Nut Zipper from 1994 to 1999.

My father did editing for a video of Tom Maxwell being interviewed.

I've never heard of the band until yesterday and in two unrelated situations the Squirrel Nut Zippers have been in my life.

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 06:03      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
Oh yes, I've seen those places - yum! I was wondering if you could actually buy a piece of penny candy for a penny now, or even if they still have 1 gumball machines?
*tries to remember to look when next at a grocery store*

around here the gumball machines are a quarter.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture