homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » would YOU take this job?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: would YOU take this job?
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 2 posted June 22, 2007 16:13      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

for the position of Network Administrator. We offer highly competitive salaries and unlimited growth potential.
The Network Administrator will be responsible for designing, ordering, implementing and supporting Small Business Data and Voice networks for clients throughout the state of Florida. Road travel is required.

Responsibilities:
• Responsible for managing all technical support for Small to medium size business clients
• Responsible for supporting field engineers and technicians
• Providing our clients with the highest level of technical support and incident management
• Conducting network needs assessments for qualified opportunities
• Technical Sales / Solutions Development
• Managed Care Conversions
• Quality Control / Client Touches
• Disaster Recovery / Business Continuity / High Availability Planning
• Ensures Highest Level of Technical Functionaility of Client Networks
• Process creation and documentation

Required Skills, background experience and Certifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Excellent Customer Service Skills
• Exceptional Communication and Collaboration Skills and Experience Interacting with Clients and Management
• Strong Organizational and Time Management Skills
• Ability to Provide Leadership and Mentoring to your team
• Ability to Thrive in a Dynamic and Fast Paced Environment
• Team Player
• Ability to learn very quickly
• Ability to research problems and provide solutions in a short time frame
• Previous Experience with Managing Network Functionality, Supervising Technical Staff and Vendors
• Minimum 3 years experience - Active Directory Support
• Minimum 3 years experience - Microsoft Windows 2000/XP and Windows Server NT/2000/2003 Support
• Working Knowledge of Non Cisco Firewall Technologies - Sonicwall, Linksys, Netgear, Watchguard
• Minimum 3 years experience - Microsoft Exchange 2000/2003 Support
• Minimum 3 years experience - Mobile Messaging Technologies (Blackberry Enterprise and/or Goodlink) Support
• Minimum 3 years experience - Server Hardware Technologies (CPU/RAID/SCSI) Support
• Minimum 3 years experience - Data Backup and Recovery Support
• Minimum 3 years experience - Corporate Antivirus Support
• Minimum 3 years experience - VPN Connectivity Support
• Working Knowledge of traditional TDM Voice networks
• Working Knowledge of VoIP networks and requirements
• Working Knowledge of Microsoft SQL 2000/2005
• Working Knowledge of Wireless Technologies
• MCSA/MSCE
• Network+
• A+

Traveling is required in the Tri-county area and occasionally statewide.

oookayyyyy

location of office is ~16 miles away
clients are at least 12 and some to 100 miles away - going north

offer letter for a grand total pay per year of

wait for it

waaaaaaaaaiiiiit

are you ready?
you'd think that with that description, the pay would be pretty good, huh?

quote:

The starting pay is $37,450.00 per year paid on a weekly basis.

... *snort**guffaw*
BAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 8 posted June 22, 2007 16:15      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i...

i don't even know what to respond to that email

"wow! gosh thanks! i'll start monday 9am!!"

or

"are you fucking serious? that's pretty much a fucking insult. you understand that if i take this, i'm going to still be looking for work and will drop you and all clients in a fucking heartbeat, right?"

Are you sure there's no typo in that offer letter? Maybe you meant 57450? But, it's kinda hard to miss a 5 and type 3. If i had any idea that you would be paying only 37k, I wouldn't have bothered with the interview. Frankly, that 37450 is a fucking insult - especially after seeing you drive in an SL550 to meet me for the interview. When you get to the point where you need an actual Network Administrator and not some helldesk flunky, give me a call and we'll start negotiations at 65k/yr plus a company car and gas card.
Until then, goooooooood luck finding someone else as qualified as I am.

well, that's what i /want/ to reply with anyway....

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 16:56      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a craptacular salary for a network admin, but it's still quite a bit more than an average postdoc makes after he spends five years in hell (AKA PhD program.)
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 17:29      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends of what part of the country it's in. $45K in Little Rock is a completely different beast than $45K in Los Angeles.

However, for the demands? Yeah.

WS called up a company, because he had to ask if the salary was correct. He wasn't sure if it was $50 per hour (high hourly for a non-contract) or $15 (unreasonable for a McDonald's manager). This was for an SAP Basis Administration position.

They wanted to hire a person with 5 years of experience and a Bachelor's Degree at $15 per hour. WS laughed a very long time about it. A very long time.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 18:12      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow - yeah that is pretty low pay.

Either there has to be a lot of benefits (i.e. free luxury apartment with nice sports car) or they mis-typed a number.

Since you obviously don't want a job like that at that pay. I would just send them an email telling them what your worth per year and you won't go any lower then that - it will be nice to see what they say to that.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 18:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My response would depend on the size of the company in question and source of the offer.

If the source of that salary figure is an extremely cheap management (very likely if it's a small company), there's little point in stating what would be acceptable and leaving room to negotiate. Cheap management usually translates to understaffed IT departments and overworked employees. I can't imagine anyone wanting to work in an environment like that, even if they did up the offer to a more reasonable amount.

If it came from an HR department, it may have been put together by an idiot who neither understood the position nor the salary that would be appropriate. In that case, putting an acceptable salary figure on the table and offering to negotiate might be worth exploring.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 19:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
That's a craptacular salary for a network admin, but it's still quite a bit more than an average postdoc makes after he spends five years in hell (AKA PhD program.)

That depends. Word on the street is the NIH minimum for a postdoc is $35K. Which is still utterly ridiculous given the level of training a postdoc has (hint: the starting salary for a tech with a BS is also $35K). I'm not sure what happens if you're not NIH-funded, but it's probably going to be as low as your PI dares to/is allowed to go. Of course, if you win an independent fellowship, you can do better. Or you can do worse. The real advantage to an independent fellowship is 1) it's YOUR funding and 2)it looks really sexy on your CV.

If it looks like I've thought about this, well, it is my future. Maybe, by the time I'm 30, I'll start making real money.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 21:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd _politely_ point out that their offer is substantially below market, and tell them that if they're willing to offer something more reasonable, I'm still interested.

It may be that the employer is a penny-pinching [email protected]@rd, or it may just be that s/he genuinely has no idea what people with those skills are worth in the marketplace. This can happen, especially in a small company where the person who's been doing the job until now may be a lowly office-droid who 'knows a bit about computers'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 01:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what the IT job market in fL looks like, but maybe this is due to the fact that it is an emlyers market right now and there are too many very qualified people loking for a job and this company wants to take advantage of this.

It is a sad principal of economics that if there are enough qualified people looking for a job, comannies not not need to even offer a wage one can live on.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 06:22      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good morning mr. xxxx

i rec'ed the offer letter last night and just now had a chance to review it. it seems to me that there's a typo in the salary number. i'm fairly sure you meant $57,450. please call me as soon as you get the chance so we can confirm.

thanks,
(me)

--------------------

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 06:33      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, -ct-!

I wouldn't sell myself short either! [Smile]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 07:19      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like the job is a consulting gig.

Man you got to get away from those things. Either they pay mad money and are gone in a flash. Or they drag on forever with shite pay.

I see more jobs like that one around here every time I go on a hunt.

Definitely don't sell yourself short. But sadly enough the magic of IT has gone away. Someone will take that job. If nothing else to pay rent for a couple of months until a better one rolls along.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 09:42      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just the economy. I'm a graphic designer and I've been laid off twice in the past 9 years. I've had to take what I can find. After 911 companies have been paying less and give off the attitude that you should just be happy to have a job. Places that used to pay $18 - $20 per hour are now paying $10 - $14 per hour. I'm having to work 2 jobs (61 hours per week) just to keep up with the increasing cost of living and crazy gas prices. I would not be surprised if the guys in the IT dept. where I work are making less than $35K per year.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 02:52      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, you are out of a job?

Even if they don't come back with a better offer (assuming you don't have unemployment insurance or savings with which to pay the rent and utilities), take the job while you continue looking. If there is travel and using your own car is required, make sure you get a decent per mile reimbursement.

It's easier to find a job when you have one. You don't reek of desperation.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 24, 2007 10:27      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The starting pay is $37,450.00 per year paid on a weekly basis.

It depends of what part of the country it's in. $45K in Little Rock is a completely different beast than $45K in Los Angeles.

It's just the economy.

I don't think that's a typo. There really are *cough* *dirt-bag* *cough* companies like that.     [shake head]

Quite a long time ago, a friend of mine was in his third year of a Computer Science degree and took such a job (his reputation acted as the "3 years experience" in all the categories).

For one year he worked under the promise "this is a probationary period; we'll raise your salary to a common industry level (based on performance)."

They gave him a trivial raise at one year. He told them he expected "much more" over the next three months, and they gave him a run-around.

Finally, he went to several nearby companies and said "how much will you pay me?" The offers were three times the pay he was receiving. He put in his two week notice, and the place he worked at said "we'll pay you 10% over the highest offer." My friend left for his new job with a 200% pay increase and gave his old employers (vulgar) suggestions as to what they could do to themselves.

Bottom line: A company offering miserably low pay for a demanding job doesn't care about the employee. Expect lies and coercion as the workplace standard. They won't change no matter how long you work with them.

The following job is posted for a "small town" in a southern state:
quote:
Job Title: Help Desk Technician
Salary: $32,700.00 Yearly
Education Required: Associate Degree
Experience Required: 1 Year
Job Description: Will assist in answering and logging help desk calls; install and maintain all employee desktop personal computers, laptops, peripherals and software. Requires college degree in computer science, related field or comparable experience and experience with pc hardware and troubleshooting. Must understand basic networks.

FWIW: I enlisted in the US Army as a Satellite Communications Operator/Maintainer after not finding any jobs that would pay me what I considered to be acceptable.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 11:50      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
considering that i have nothing else going for me right now, i pretty much have to take it

but i won't stop looking and taking calls for phone interviews, or even making appointments for in-person interviews and i WILL just walk out when something better comes along

oh sure, he says there will be reviews after 90 days and again 90 after that, but i seriously doubt it'll go over 40k

he knows i was looking for at /least/ 50k, so it won't be a surprise when i simply don't show up one day

--------------------

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 04:36      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They obviously didn't do a "Job Design" analysis, no look at the prevailing wage in the market. I make $12 an hour in NYC with 5 years of work experience, so it isn't really far fetched.
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 11 posted June 28, 2007 12:01      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maggs:
They obviously didn't do a "Job Design" analysis, no look at the prevailing wage in the market. I make $12 an hour in NYC with 5 years of work experience, so it isn't really far fetched.

$12 an hour in NYC? How in the world can you even survive on that?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 17:36      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a friend that once said - "first you find a job, then you find a good job"

When I got laid off a few years back a headhunter hit me up for a contract gig. It was a fraction of what I had been making, but it was better than unemployment. The contract was supposedly for 2 weeks. 5.5 months later (and after being converted to full-time employee) I gave my 2 week notice. Asked why - I honestly told them I was getting 2x the money. When I converted to an employee they hadn't believed me when I told them what an embedded engineer should make - too bad for them.

Of course - that HR person happened to be the dimwit daughter of the founder/CEO. They had a big attitude problem there about employees being replaceable. Which in some ways they are right, but they didn't place any value on keeping anyone there, preferring to pay for replacements which in my experience is far more expensive.

So take the job (negotiate some) and keep on interviewing as hard as ever. It took me an extra 6 months, but worked for me.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 21:06      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
So take the job (negotiate some) and keep on interviewing as hard as ever. It took me an extra 6 months, but worked for me.

already took it [ohwell]

shit pay, shit job, and putting an assload of miles on my car

fortunately, when i am driving, i can maybe sneak in some time to go to interviews, such as the one i have on tues.

--------------------

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 06:45      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still wouldnt take that for under 70k probably. Hell Im working at Cisco right now, and makeing more than they offer. And Im just a lab rat with no experience, no certs (almost CCNA) and base skills in about a quarter of what they want.

Lol I also like how they have "non-Cisco Firewalls" including Linksys, considering we own them (and I dont think Linksys has a FW division).

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 08:28      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shit if I was looking and needing work I would've taken it too.

I have worked worse, I worked better. Still beats the pants off of being broke and hungry. Maybe pride is for people that don't have to worry about rent.

Congrats on finding a gig -ct- and good luck getting something better, too.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 15:57      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luke Skywalker:
I still wouldnt take that for under 70k probably. Hell Im working at Cisco right now, and makeing more than they offer. And Im just a lab rat with no experience, no certs (almost CCNA) and base skills in about a quarter of what they want.

Lol I also like how they have "non-Cisco Firewalls" including Linksys, considering we own them (and I dont think Linksys has a FW division).

need help? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 13:57      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
quote:

need help? [Big Grin]
If you are serious, PM me and Ill hook you up with who to contact. Mind you, you probably ought to be in college, and expect to work for them when you graduate...

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 15:38      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
quote:

need help? [Big Grin]
If you are serious, PM me and Ill hook you up with who to contact. Mind you, you probably ought to be in college, and expect to work for them when you graduate...
http://miami.craigslist.org/res/349435323.html

if you could fwd something through the email link there, it would help [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture