homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Employment for mathematics major/restaurant/sports guy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Employment for mathematics major/restaurant/sports guy?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 14:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,
My husband is looking for a new job. He has a B.S. in mathematics and is working on getting his Master's in education. He's been working in the restaurant industry in a variety of cooking/food-handling positions. For various odd reasons, he's been terminated from his current position.

He's nuts about sports, has a mind like a steel trap for remembering statistics and figures, has a fairly good sense of logic, is diligent, punctual, consistent, and willing to work hard for the right person(s).

Do any of you know of jobs that pay a decent wage that would hire a guy who can work with his hands and his brain?

In the meantime, would y'all pray for this situation to work itself out? He might have a meeting tomorrow to discuss getting his job back, but we aren't getting our hopes up.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 14:35      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about that. I hope it shapes up well!!

There's always room in IT for smart people, especially if he has a knack for computers.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 18:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He went to Thompson Institute for computer programming, but he's really not good with computers.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 18:43      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that Rhonwyyn but from my experience (FWIW) sometimes these things happen for incomprehensible reasons and yet despite the short term problems they bring actually move you to a better place in the longer run.

Hope that this is the case for Bear as it was for me...

Call it fate, sychronicity or the hand of God but for me the short term pain was rewarded with a long term gain I would never have thought possible.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 19:51      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like he has all of the skills he'd need to be a successful programmer. What isn't he good at involving computers?

Anyway, it sounds like the financial sector might be a good place for him. Lots of stat. work and thinking on your feet going on there.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture