homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Hair Cut...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hair Cut...
[..Eternal-Lullaby..]
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8957

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted June 17, 2007 16:18      Profile for [..Eternal-Lullaby..]   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been debating for a while whether to get my hair cut or not, and this morning I bit the bullet so to speak and went to Supercuts and got it done.

It's nice, but I lost well over 10 inches off of my original length. Put it this way, earlier today my hair was long and straight to about my waist, now it stops at the bottom of my neck above my shoulders.

My mum nearly cried when she saw me get up out of the chair in the hairdressers. Austin ( boyfriend ) seems completely indifferent at the moment. Craig ( Ex and best friend ) hasn't really seen it yet, he's coming over in around an hours time. I'm very worried as he loved my hair. Rikki ( Friend ) seems to love it and wouldn't stop going on about it and says he prefers it short, which threw me a bit. My best girl friend hasn't seen it yet, so I'm waiting for her opinion.

With all these mixed responses about it I'm now feeling a little unsure as to whether I made the right descision or not.

Shall I ask you? Or am i just being silly?

Most probably the latter. [Big Grin]

Also I went to a bike show at Cheshire Oaks today and well...it wasn't exactly much to write home about so that's why this sentence is ending....here.

Posts: 18 | From: Ellesmere Port | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 16:34      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hair, it will grow back.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 17:00      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can't say much since i'm a guy and just get my hair cut for the purpose of making my mornings easier.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 17:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are young and beautiful, so you will be young and beautiful whatever do with your hair. I am old and and bald and I can't seem to change that either.

It's a bugger isn't it? [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 17:56      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent from 9 to 33 with varying lengths of hair -- short to medium. Right now I'm growing my hair because I want to wear a bun or braid (depending on the formality of the event) through my forties to death.

But yeah, having short hair was always great for getting up and going.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 18:55      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my hair from one inch long to past my cheeky-bits. I prefer it to be about shoulder length because it's nice to tie it back and ignore it on a bad hair day. Short is too much work- everyone can tell if you haven't had a trim.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 17, 2007 20:35      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I'm free to get my hair long I find it uncomfortable, I always like chic cuts, always changing, I love surprises.
A good cut is a good cut no matter how long it is, both Annie Lennox and Demi Moore look great even with their heads shaved.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 20:35      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an interesting topic, no I'm serious. I've been thinking about cutting mine as well, though I'm not sure if I have the face for it. Right now my hair sits near the upper part of the middle of my back when it's steightened, other wise when it is its normal crazy wavy/curly mess it's right below my shoulders. I'm think about cutting it right below my ears...wadda you guys think?

Ideas?

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 23:50      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try it short, LemonSmuggler- I suspect you can pull it off. It's up to you, though. I don't know your hair as well as you do. If it's shorter, will it be curlier?

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
[..Eternal-Lullaby..]
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 07:21      Profile for [..Eternal-Lullaby..]   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay well, I've put an updated " current " picture of me on my profile if anyone wants to share an opinion...

And Lemonsmuggler, as I thought, would it be curlier and harder to handle if it was short...but then again, it would be soooo easy to straighten...or wax...I have an obsession with waxing mine already [Big Grin] .

I ask waaay too many questions and think about things too much. [crazy]

dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 07:25      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonSmuggler:
What an interesting topic, no I'm serious. I've been thinking about cutting mine as well, though I'm not sure if I have the face for it. Right now my hair sits near the upper part of the middle of my back when it's steightened, other wise when it is its normal crazy wavy/curly mess it's right below my shoulders. I'm think about cutting it right below my ears...wadda you guys think?

Ideas?

YMMV but I have really curly hair. I have been growing it out for almost 15 years. It only stopped being a royal PITA after it hit waist length when straightened out. I had it short as a teenager (My mom's choice, not mine, she thought her hair was easier to control short, but hers isn't as curly as mine. Also, she had as a teenager resolved herself to spending 45min to an hour on her hair a day, and I just don't care that much) It was a disaster. I couldn't control it, I couldn't put it in a pony tail, and as soon as the humidity went above 20% I was a giant frizzball. When it was behaving, it was mushroom shaped. I had to put about 3 pounds of gel in it a day to make it behave, so it was crunchy, and then I had to wash it every day to get the crunchy gel out, so it got dry, which made the frizziness worse. Now it hangs about waist length when it is dry, I only put hair goo in it for special occasions and most of the time it is in a braid and out of my way. I can only brush it when my hair is wet with conditioner, but it's heavy enough that unless it's really humid, it behaves reasonably well, even if it is frizzy. I wash it every other day, so it doesn't dry out as much and I will *NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER* have my hair short again. The growing out the bangs/layering stage was awful. It does behave pretty well in 3 and a half foot increments however.

It all depends how much time you are willing to put into your hair, and if it is as curly as mine!

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 07:26      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got layers put in my waist length (well it was...) hair about six months ago and I regret it. It was easier to handle when it was all the same length.

As for cutting it? I don't see me doing that. I hate me in short hair.

Some people look great in it. And then there are those of us who look like crap.

Yours is just fine [Smile]

--------------------
Great friendships can only exist between equals

Posts: 68 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 08:19      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been growing my hair out for the last year or so (since leaving the soul-crushing 3-letter corporation). I have to say it is much easier to take care of when long. Right now it is just below my shoulders, but I am trying to let the front catch up, so it is all one length. The only problem is the heat. I am in the desert southwest, and it is hitting 105-110 now, and will be for the next 3-4 months [devil wand]

Eternal, I looked at your pic, I think your hair looks really nice. Try not to obsess about it too much, and really try not to worry too much about what others think of it. Good Luck.

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 10:25      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the above - it looks good that way. Probably going to be a lot faster to deal with, too.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 18, 2007 10:45      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems you're so fortunate for looking great with any hairstyle. Good for ya!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 15:17      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by [..Eternal-Lullaby..]:
Okay well, I've put an updated " current " picture of me on my profile if anyone wants to share an opinion...

Looks good from the front - now turn round please and let's see your neck! I expect that's what your friend Rikki is so keen on - very under-rated erogenous zone, the neck. I love my wife's bobbed hair for many reasons, but that's one of them!

As the others have said - with hair you should just try it* - it'll grow back before you know it.

*Apart from bleaching it / using strong chemicals - it might not grow back then.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 15:36      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually just got my ears lowered on saturday. They took about five inches off, which leaves me with just enough to tie back and a fresh start as far as conditioning goes; my hair was beginning to get painfully dry and frizzy. I also bought some leave in conditioner, in order that I may keep my hair healthy.

I don't know how long I'll keep my hair this long, but for right now it works. It grows pretty fast, though it is very curly so it's hard to notice until it gets straight and long.

Either way, I'm just glad that I don't keep pulling my own hair when I toss and turn at night [Smile]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

[..Eternal-Lullaby..]
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 04:25      Profile for [..Eternal-Lullaby..]   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mistersaxon:
quote:
Originally posted by [..Eternal-Lullaby..]:

Looks good from the front - now turn round please and let's see your neck! I expect that's what your friend Rikki is so keen on - very under-rated erogenous zone, the neck. I love my wife's bobbed hair for many reasons, but that's one of them!

As the others have said - with hair you should just try it* - it'll grow back before you know it.

*Apart from bleaching it / using strong chemicals - it might not grow back then.

He he, not under rated in my opinion. Kiss my neck any time and I'm yours until you dare to stop. [hearts]

Thank you all [Smile]

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 10:03      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could be a dangerous thing to admit around here, EL. Next thing you know you'll have certain, shall we say, less savory members of the forums hitting you up for "scientific evidence." [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 19, 2007 11:49      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
That could be a dangerous thing to admit around here, EL. Next thing you know you'll have certain, shall we say, less savory members of the forums hitting you up for "scientific evidence." [Wink]

I happen to be both savory and tasty!

EL: Your new haircut is fabulous! Between the pose and the hair I'm thinking, "If she were a pixie, I would follow her into harm's way, yes."

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 13:08      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I also bought some leave in conditioner, in order that I may keep my hair healthy.

Pantene makes a good spray on leave-in.
Just sayin' because from what I can tell we have the same-ish hair.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture