homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » mind numbing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mind numbing
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 10:52      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... I'm sitting here at work stamping and addressing postcards (with self stick stamps and labels, no less, so I don't even get to enjoy the taste of glue...)

mind numbing? absolutely.

this is my stupid life.

BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:07      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you get paid for it! [Smile]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:10      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't feel bad that your job is mind-numbing because it drove you back into our geeky arms. Nice to have you back around.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:15      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know... the "navajo jewelry" two cent stamps really are quite tasteful...
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:26      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what the heck are you doing with 2-cent stamps??? :-o
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:31      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the us postage went up AGAIN by two cents. so I stamp all the postcards with the old .24 stamps, then stamp them all again with the .02, then address them all.

ho hum.... I've only already done 90 in an hour.

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:32      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you guys should do what we did and have non-priced stamps.. so if it goes up a cent, your stamps are still good [Big Grin]

ok.. we are officially mind-numbed if we're talking about stamps here...

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:35      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have those now.... about time.

yep. mind numbed.

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:43      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I will go to Ikea tonight and be dazzled by all their knick-knacks. Yes, it will be potentially dangerous...

Meanwhile.. I will mind-numb myself in other ways here at work for next couple of hours....

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:53      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooh I've finished with all the postage.

NOW I get to retrieve the postcards that got returned to sender, then do some google detective work to figure out WHY it got returned (wrong address, company closed, etc.) then update the database with my findings (correct address, mark company as dead, etc.)

oh joy and rapture.

I'm making chicken curry for dinner tonight though. with rice and kimchee. and thats exciting..

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:53      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am installing drivers on a laptop and doing a spyware scan on a desktop.

Trying to find something in the news I actually care to learn about and keep me occupied.

Another 5 hrs of this and then night gig to keep me thoroughly bored for another hour or so.

I also need to make an oddly shaped box for some stuff I am mailing out.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:58      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I hate to say this, but your stuff makes debugging java seem like fun [Razz]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 12:02      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.. how much longer before my dentist appt?
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 12:10      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
the us postage went up AGAIN by two cents. so I stamp all the postcards with the old .24 stamps, then stamp them all again with the .02, then address them all.

Like in Fargo. [Smile]
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 12:17      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:

Like in Fargo. [Smile]
Oh, yahhhh. (Hautman's blue-winged teal got the 29-cent... )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 12:36      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now I'm done with postcards entirely!

I'm going through SEC filings to find out companies' revenues and research and development budgets for the 2006 fiscal year!

yesss. only an hour and a half of this left...

toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 13:23      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm "trapped" in my apartment for a week because I just had knee surgery and I'm not allowed to go up or down stairs... and I live in a third floor walk up.

So.fscking.bored.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted June 13, 2007 13:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
toobe! hope your knee is better... get well soon!
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 02:08      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel stupid. I didn't even know that the rates had gone up. It's not like the post office made a big announcement because they didn't. Now I don't know if the bill I sent out last week is going to reach its destination. How come they didn't advertise the change in the mail? [Confused]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 05:53      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. I heard about it because of the flyers they put up in the main mail hall of my apartment complex.

The cool thing is some of the stamps don't have "49cents" on them, they have "forever" on them.
No matter how much the post goes up, they'll still be good.

Which makes me happy, because I had 19 unused stamps out of a set of 20 that I had bought for mothers day cards, and then the day after mothers day the post went up and I had to buy new stamps. In the future, it won't be a problem.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 08:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tominfla:
I feel stupid. I didn't even know that the rates had gone up. It's not like the post office made a big announcement because they didn't. Now I don't know if the bill I sent out last week is going to reach its destination. How come they didn't advertise the change in the mail? [Confused]

For the first couple of days the post office usually lets it slide. One of the postal carriers I talked to said that they were taking a bunch of two cent stamps on their rounds to put them on letters that were short. I guess you could call the company you sent the payment to in order to be sure.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 21:29      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the USPS website, this is the text of the press release:

"WASHINGTON, D.C. - New postage prices and fees go into effect on Monday, May 14, including an increase in the price of a First-Class Mail stamp to 41 cents. But not all prices are going up.

"Starting May 14, the price to mail a two-ounce First-Class Mail letter (wedding invitations sometimes weigh two ounces) will drop from the current 63 cents to 58 cents. Under a new pricing strategy, as mailpieces become heavier, the prices do not increase as much.

"The charts below list some of the more common new prices and fees.

Selected Prices Effective May 14
First-Class Letter (1 oz.) 41¢
First-Class Letter (2 oz.) 58¢ (down from 63¢)
Postcard 26¢
Priority Mail (1 lb.) $4.60
Priority Mail Flat-Rate Box $8.95
Express Mail (1/2 lb) $16.25
NEW Express Mail (1 lb) $19.50
Express Mail (2 lb) $21.40
Breast Cancer Research semipostal stamp 55¢

Extra Services and Fees Effective May 14
Certified Mail $2.65
Delivery Confirmation (Priority) 65¢
Delivery Confirmation (First-Class Mail parcels) 75¢
Return Receipt (Original Signature) $2.15
Return Receipt (Electronic) 85¢
Money Orders (up to $500) $1.05

"Individual and business mailers can save money beginning May 14 by taking advantage of shaped-based pricing; a new pricing system that recognizes the different costs for handling letters, large envelopes and packages. Mailers will have the opportunity to obtain lower prices if they find ways to configure the mail into shapes that reduce handling costs for the Postal Service. For example, if the contents of a First Class Mail large envelope are folded and placed in a letter-sized envelope, customers can reduce postage by as much as 39 cents per piece. If the contents of a First-Class Mail package are reconfigured to fit into a large envelope, customers can save 33 cents per piece.

"Customers also have the opportunity to save money on future mailings by buying Forever Stamps at the new 41-cent First-Class Mail letter price. The value on these stamps will always be the one-ounce letter price and can be used for any future one-ounce letter mailing without extra postage.

"The Forever Stamp, other 41-cent stamps, and one- and two-cent stamps are available at post offices nationwide, online at www.usps.com, and available by telephone at 1-800-STAMP-24. The 41-cent stamps will also be available at Automated Postal Centers and ATMs nationwide beginning May 14.

"In addition to the new domestic rates, changes will take effect May 14 for customers sending international mail. USPS has simplified its eight main international products into four: Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International, Priority Mail International and First-Class Mail International. New packaging will allow mailers to use the same Priority Mail and Express Mail packaging for shipping within the United States and to other countries.

"Additional information on the new prices is available at www.usps.com/prices."

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 23:02      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. I checked the USPS site last night after business_attire mentioned the rate increase. I think I would like to buy some Forever stamps since I do so little mailing.

Now back to the topic at hand...mind-numbing...hmmm, can't think of anything like that except that installing World of Warcraft on my Windows computer wasn't the most exciting thing in the world. You could have a pizza party, it takes so long. Installing the game, that doesn't take long. It's the patches.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture