homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Artist's Way Workbook

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Artist's Way Workbook
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted May 26, 2007 13:33      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the Artist's Way Workbook yesterday and started "the Morning Pages" this morning. Pretty cool stuff in there! Apparently the Artist's Way is a big thing with groups and stuff across the continent. Anybody here into it?
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted May 27, 2007 10:20      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, nobody, I guess is into "The Artist's Way". It's a 12 week program to boost your creativity. You get little tasks and stuff each week. The first order of business in the Artist's Way is to start writing the "Morning Pages" every day first thing in the morning. You're to write 3 pages stream of consciousness first thing to clean your mind out of mind garbage (my term), and help focus your thoughts and energies on creativity. This morning was my second day and it seems to have succeeded in highly irritating Snaggy. Pretty creative, eh? [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted May 27, 2007 10:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes] [crazy] [cry baby] [shake head] [Razz]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2007 11:34      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm familiar with it, actually. I've not yet done the workbook, but I've spent a lot of time looking through it - one of my clients was a colleague of Julia's and had a book with a similar idea, so I had to familiarize myself with the book and program. Since then, I've been thinking I should go through the book properly, but never gotten around to it. I'd be interested to hear how it's working for you along the way.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2007 11:49      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have friends who have tried it, and loved it. However, as a co-worker said, "oh please... no one ever finishes that thing."
I did buy a copy, hoping it would do me some good since I am the least creative person I know... but it has sat on my shelf for about 7 years now and hasn't helped a bit! [Mad] [Wink]
Anyway, Nitro, keep us posted on how it goes!!! Good luck!

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2007 13:17      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs Grummash tried "the Artist's way"....it lasted about a week. Although, in fairness, this says more about Mrs Grummash's attention span than it does about the book. [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2007 17:28      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done it a couple of times before, but you do have to stick with it. I suppose it would work better if you did it with a group that would provide support. I got tired of doing the morning pages pretty soon into it. I guess I did get some good out of it, but in the long run, you have to stick with it and develop new habits. It depends on whether you're willing to do that.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2007 17:31      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does one get into it, exactly (or did I miss this portion of the program)?

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 00:23      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being an artist myself, the concept intriuged me...however, "The Morning Pages" mostly just upset me, as I am an insomniac and quite nocturnal (sans the oversized eyes, though I'm sure they'd be quite adorable) I genereally hit my intellectual/productivity peak in the early morning hours...leaving writing anything first thing in the morning quite the daunting task, as I am mostly zombieish and in search of coffee...

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 02:09      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys should start a GC Artist's Waybook group and help motivate each other to finish =)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted May 29, 2007 09:12      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a 12-step program? You're giving up art?!?!?
NOOOOoooooooo/vader
oh wait. 12 week.

(never mind)

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 12:53      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
How does one get into it, exactly (or did I miss this portion of the program)?

Buy the book and/or workbook.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2007 21:40      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I've never heard of it. I'm quite intrigued by the idea. I'm actually very creative, probably excessively so. I kind of drive myself crazy, lol.

But the one thing I have no real talent for is painting. So Nitro, if you have any suggestions for how someone who desperately wants to paint (it would have to be abstract, I have no talent for realism) could get started, I'd appreciate any advice. [thumbsup] And please do keep us updated on how you like Artists way. I just got two more books today which are going in my pile of about two dozen waiting to be read, so I can't bear the thought of yet another... I know, I'll put it on my wish list. [Big Grin]

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 10:01      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is getting fun! Looks like a lot of people are interested! Here is the book on Amazon;
http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Way-Workbook-Julia-Cameron/dp/1585425338/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-3847683-6329643?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180716638&sr=8-3

I didn't get the other book, because I think the workbook will be more effective, because with creativity, you need to do, not read about doing. IMHO. I think I will get the book now tho, I'm intrigued about the theory behind it;

Update: The Morning Pages, I did 6 out of 7 days this week (week one), and it's resulted in Snaggy going from irritated to enraged. [Razz] The writing is a little labourious, but I noticed that if I use it to refute irrational ideas and thoughts, it's really fun. Mostly the writing becomes a day organizing session tho, which is good too.

Tommorrow is end of week one, I'll update more tomorrow.
Anyone game for going through the program? We can support each other in this thread, which would be fun. [Geek] [Applause]

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 11:28      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Snaggy.
Though I do think it would be amusing to see him enraged. [thumbsup]

(Sorry, Snag.)

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture