homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I have some unfinished business... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I have some unfinished business...
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 18:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A whole great big mountain of unfinished business.

Four years ago, I tried to climb Denali, aka McKinley. My lungs gave me the finger at 16500' and I had to quit. It sucked because I'd been higher than that before and I've been higher than that since, so I'm blaming the cold...cold air has always fscked with my breathing (it was cold when we set out that day, and got colder as a storm blew in). Damn thing's been haunting me ever since. This year, I'm going back. I plan to make it this time. I'm leaving tomorrow, I'll fly onto the mountain itself on Sunday, and after that I will be completely out of touch with everything and everyone for the next three weeks or so (if the weather behaves, I'll be back sooner).

Wish me luck and I'll see you all later.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 24, 2007 19:46      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck!!

Can't wait to hear the tales when you get back [Smile]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 20:00      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Xanth! I'll be expecting pictures on par with the ones from Africa. Oh, wait, I still haven't seen those. Never mind [Wink]

My lungs get dodgy in the cold, too. Just one of many reason I hate the fscking NY winters. Good thing I don't live in Canada, eh?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 14 posted May 24, 2007 20:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck and don't fall off! [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 24, 2007 20:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Xan! Say hi to the mountain gods for me! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 20:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh. Can I live vicariously through you?

Take care and come back in one piece.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 22:02      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds so fun! Have a great time and make sure to tell us all about it! [Wink]
Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 22:07      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck Xanthine [Smile]

Enjoy the adventure and stay safe.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 23:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...I remember that all too well...I hope you show Denali who's the boss this time!

Have fun, stay safe, and please don't kill another of your 9 lines.

-dragon

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 03:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Xan, and please stay safe - well safeish anyway!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 07:25      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, Xanth! Fly! Be Free!

But please remember that, even at those altitudes, the Law of Gravity remains in full effect. It is immutable and absolute no matter how 'high' you get.

Enjoy the experience. [thumbsup]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 08:46      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best of luck, Xanth! Take care of those few lives you have left! [Wink]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 09:29      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have fun and good luck, Xanthine.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 09:54      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Good luck.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 17:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gah!

Trapped in Talkeetna. It's been storming hard at Base Camp for the last couple of days. Hopefully it'll lift and we can fly tomorrow.

This is...annoying. But waiting does beat crashing in a storm, and waiting out weather in town is far more comfy than waiting out weather in a camp.

If you don't hear from me again, I'm on the mountain (at last!).

Thanks for the well-wishes guys!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 17:18      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Xanth. Stick your head outside and give us a wave. I'm going to use Google Earth for Talkeetna. [thumbsup]
Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 28, 2007 20:29      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! Go for it!
I wish you're doing well!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 20:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You probably won't read this until you get back...but if you get waylaid any longer, allow me to razz you about having seen Pirates 3 last night. [Wink] [Razz]

[Actually, it was a real mindfsck...but still... =P]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 17:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm off the mountain and in Talkeetna. I flew out the morning after my irritated post.

I summited on Tuesday evening. It was far warmer up top than anyone expected, warmer even than the top of Rainier last time I was up there (right around now last year)! For comparison, Rainier is ~6000' shorter and a few thousand miles more southerly. We just lucked out I guess, but I'm not complaining. We spent most of Wednesday morning sleeping and the we marched out of our high camp at 17000', spent a few more hours goofing off and eating at the 14000' camp, and then when the sun "set" behind a ridge we started our downward march, and we spent the "night" doing the Denali death march into base camp at 7200', where we spent the better part of the morning waiting for a plane to come and get us. So I've been up for 24+ hours now. My feet are a mess - I had rather limited oppurtunities to dress my hotspots and/or change my socks after leaving 14000'. Except for the uppermost stretches, where the mountain is just too steep, we had our gear divvied between packs and sleds (on the uppermost stretches, we went with packs only, and believe me, humping a 60+ pound pack up a rocky, exposed ridge above 16000' sucks). The sled attaches to the bottom of the pack. It has a tendency to skate away out of control, especially going downhill. Rope teammates can help control sleds, but only to a certain point, and then it's back to Mr. Galileo and Mr. Newton. My back and shoulders are aching because my dancing, prancing sled threw my pack adjustment off, I thought my harness was going to cut me in half a few times because I was putting so much tension on the teammate ahead of me so his sled didn't prance away on him, my quads have some very choice things to say to me, and my posture is a bit off, probably from hunching over under a heavy pack with a heavier sled attached. I also have a sunburn (surprise surprise), and a touch of frostbite on one of my fingers (that story is for later, but it is mild and I'll be keeping the finger). But all of that shall pass.

The magnitude of the whole thing is still sinking in.

I'm glad I made it this time, because I never, ever want to do that again.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 18:38      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you conquered the peak this time [thumbsup] [Applause] Looking forward to hearing more details!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 19:07      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy to learn that you're safely down. Something else you'll be able to remember for the rest of your life. Yay you! [thumbsup] [Applause]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 19:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds fantastic (in a you-couldn't-pay-me-enough-to-do-that kind of way)
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 14, 2007 21:53      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnificent, Ultra-ificent, Supercalados-cient Valour!

[Applause] [Happytears] [Applause]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 22:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, and welcome back! [Smile]

I'm rather glad to hear that you made it to the top /and/ made it back in one piece, if not mildly shaken, stirred, or dinged. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 23:50      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Xanthine. [Smile] [Applause]

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture