homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I ordered new glasses off of the Internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I ordered new glasses off of the Internet
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 17, 2007 10:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading this...
http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/2006/11/from-3mew-eyeglasses-stores-are-for.html

I decided what the heck and try it...
So I ordered two pairs of glasses, one pair are prescription sunglasses, the other for the computer. Two pairs plus shipping for less than 82 bucks. I went with Zenni Optical.

I'll let you know how they turn out. [Cool]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2007 10:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you. [Smile]

New lenses for my glasses cost more than that!!!
(OTOH, I will point out that I'm quite happy with my optician, and I'm a loyal customer of /many/ years.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2007 10:43      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, same here. My lenses are about $150, so I buy really nice frames. Seems lame to have cheap frames on an expensive perscription.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2007 11:38      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a place around here that sells two pair for $99. That's where I got my last couple of pairs. But then they try to jack up the price by asking you if you want the edges polished, non-scratch coating, and 3-year extended warranty. I really need a new pair, but I've been short on money. My eye exam would be covered by insurance, so the only obstacle is the money for the glasses. I might check out getting them over the intraweb. Even if the lenses are "substandard" as the optician in the article says they might be, they can't be any worse than what I'm looking through right now. [Razz]

Snaggy-"So I ordered two pairs of glasses, one pair are prescription sunglasses, the other for the computer."

Why does your computer need glasses? [Big Grin]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2007 17:21      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does your computer need glasses?

ha ha
... to go with its tennis shoes. [Big Grin]

dctechielobbyist
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2624

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted May 18, 2007 10:03      Profile for dctechielobbyist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The '2 for $69/99' place is America's Best, I just ordered two pairs from them last Friday and they are ready today, not bad for discount work. I will however be going the 'net route for some prescription sunglasses, as their prices on those are exorbitant (sp?).

Their website is: America's Best Homepage www.twopair.com[/URL]

Cheers,
Gabe

LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2007 14:33      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh that sounds great! [Smile]
I'm getting rather sick of mine. They keep slipping down my nose the buggers! [cry baby]

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 25, 2007 08:48      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an update on this optical saga, I received this yesterday...

This is an email notifying you that your order has shipped. This package has been shipped with the USPS.

So they shipped within a week.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 19, 2007 09:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an update on this... I thought the glasses rocked. For the price, they were excellent. It is really cool having prescription sunglasses too, for such a low cost.

One word of caution... the frames were a little funky looks-wise, one had blue ear-pieces, so make sure you look at the pictures of the frames carefully.

The rimless pair I bought were great, except the engineering of the frames (attached via a drilled hole through the lens) made them fragile. I broke one pair windsurfing, the other was broken by a certain Benevolent Dictator putting her elbow down on the table, where my glasses were hiding under a pile of mail. [Razz]

I have to order some more, this time I'll be trying http://www.optical4less.com/ , where they have some hingeless rimless ones for 51 bucks. (A "real" pair from the eyeglass store was quoted at over $600 bucks, and that's Canadian dollars, so that's like, $1000 US. [Razz] )

Here's the original blog I read about online glasses...
http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/2006/11/from-3mew-eyeglasses-stores-are-for.html

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture