homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My hard drive died. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My hard drive died.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted May 06, 2007 16:34      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[cry baby] [cry baby] [cry baby] crap! Yesterday I was in the middle of doing a SuperDuper backup when my PowerBook died. Hard drive error, screen goes black, it's dead Jim.

I've spent most of last night and all of today trying to repair the drive or save my data... no such luck. Currently restoring from said SuperDuper backup, so we'll see how that goes. I'm assuming it will be incomplete, since it didn't get to finish it's run yesterday.

My backup's backup is about 3 weeks old. [Frown]
So learn from my misery.... backup your backups asap!!!!

If there's no comic update today, you know why. [ohwell] [Geek]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2007 16:47      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of backups do you do?

Have you tried using mirrored drives, if you have a tower? Rsync is also your friend.

Just wondering. My backups are a weekly full to an external, and daily "documents" folder syncs to a web server. But backup solutions for macs are kinda lame.

Sorry to hear about your disk [Frown]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 06, 2007 17:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've been each SuperDupering our PowerBooks to external drives, (every couple of days or so) with backups of backups taken to an offsite location every couple of weeks.

Yeah, a daily sinc would be a better idea... twice daily to one of our towers would probably be even better. Hmmm, I agree about the lameness of most Mac backup software.

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2007 17:07      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious - have you checked to see if there's a decent tech place local that can do HD stuff for you?

Jess had a MAJOR disk crash in her 12inch that turned out bad, but that doesn't mean it's impossible that it might turn out well for you [Smile]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2007 17:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy wrote:
Yeah, a daily sinc would be a better idea... twice daily to one of our towers would probably be even better. Hmmm, I agree about the lameness of most Mac backup software.

You might look at NTI Shadow. It has a mode that makes backup copies of files in real time to an external drive as you save changes, so the backup is always current.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2007 17:51      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how many times do i need to post that i do data recovery before someone remembers?

send me the drive, i'll take care of it

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2007 19:02      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your hard drive going bad. Maybe -ct- can do something for you. EDIT: -ct- I should have been on the forum last year. I had a major multiple drive problem with my old Windows computer.

I do daily backups using SuperDuper. As far as a backup backup goes I haven't thought about it. I wonder how many backups I should have? Reminds me of the Get Smart gag about the Agent's Agent's Agent. ("Well what if the Agent's Agent's Agent gets killed?" "Then we use the Agent's Agent's Agent's Agent." "Well what if the Agent's Agent's Agent's Agent gets killed?" "Then we use the..." etc.) [crazy]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2007 19:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
how many times do i need to post that i do data recovery before someone remembers?

send me the drive, i'll take care of it

But -ct-! You might take it with you in the car.
Then WHAT???!!!!??? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2007 04:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathan and I sent his G4 PowerBook to www.techrestore.com when his screen went kaput. They replaced it and sent it back within 24 hours. Shannon's guys also do hard drive restoration, and they're particularly for Macs. Give 'em a look if you're not getting anywhere.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 07, 2007 10:06      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've got my life back, so to speak. I had to restore the three week old file on an old tower, then hand pick the stuff I could get from the defective backup.

Meanwhile after erasing and re-installing OS X on the laptop, it's drive is showing no errors and is running fine. [Mad] Hmmm could this have been a B tree error only?

I've lost my confidence in SuperDuper. [ohwell]

Thanks for that NTI Shadow link Steen, I will try that out!

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 07, 2007 10:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, and the Applecare expired 23/04/07.

lol, in my tears.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2007 10:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
oh, and the Applecare expired 23/04/07.

lol, in my tears.

Write to Steve...nudge-nudge-wink-wink. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2007 10:57      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh that's awful! I'm so sorry. [Frown]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2007 11:20      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man.

That's awful that Applecare didn't cover it. The guy at the Mac Genius Bar went through person after person finding ways to deny claims. When he got to us, he checked my computer and dismissed WS, saying it wasn't covered.

We went somewhere else and it was covered.

Not sure if WS mentioned it, but I was in tears because I thought I had lost the most recent edit of the Dome Trilogy at the time. It turned out I had put it on a thumb drive, and I was in tears again -- of relief.

That sucks, to lose art, data, personal stuff. And I need to back up everything on DVD soon . . .GAH!

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
brainisfried
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3067

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2007 06:37      Profile for brainisfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used SpinRite to repair damaged HDs long enough to backup my data. You'll need a PC to boot the SpinRite CD or floppy but it's supposed to fix Mac HDs as well as Windows and Linux. Extremely useful program. The guy that wrote it does the Security Now! podcast with Leo on twit.tv.
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2007 13:14      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy

Call 1800-263-3394,
Select Opt 1 for english
Select opt 4, ask for customer relations...

seeing that it's not that far out of warranty... if you push hard enough... you may get a CS Code to let me fix it for you... however, this means you have to act fast. and see if we can line it up with a trip to Vic..

This applies to Canadian Service Operations

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2007 13:51      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brainisfried:
I've used SpinRite to repair damaged HDs long enough to backup my data. You'll need a PC to boot the SpinRite CD or floppy but it's supposed to fix Mac HDs as well as Windows and Linux. Extremely useful program. The guy that wrote it does the Security Now! podcast with Leo on twit.tv.

it's a P.O.S. software, the guy who writes that is an uppity jackass who couldn't code his way out of a paper bag

he's been shot down several times in the past, and most if not all of the software he writes is full of holes

i stopped listening/reading his stuff years ago

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2007 14:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *ahem* agree with -ct- on the above. [Smile] [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2007 15:51      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I *ahem* agree with -ct- on the above. [Smile] [Razz]

/me has a Kernel Panic!

[Eek!]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2007 18:42      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,

I have Colonel Panics every day, or at least my girlfriends do.

I want to salute the restraint of everyone here, particularly Steen, for getting this far into a thread entitled "My Hard Drive Died" without using a single Viagara reference.

Peter Gabriel Beards and Magnificent Valor all around.

(Um, except for me, who just made the aformentioned reference.)

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 11, 2007 07:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just an update...

with some helpful advice from macmcseboy, my trusty T8 Torx screwdriver (bought when I replaced the Pismo's drive) and a great install guide from http://www.ifixit.com, (this one, to be exact). I put in a new hard drive yesterday and so far, everything seems to be A-OK.
[Big Grin]

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 08:16      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 12, 2007 06:01      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy for you Snaggy, I had the misfortune to have two successive defective drives on my HP dx2200, I was able to recover only 2GB out of 20 of my data... hopefully most were warez and music.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 06:05      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Snaggy - just clarify here for me - was the old drive hosed or just now considered highly suspect?

Remember my iBook nightmare? Here

Well that iBook has had ne'er a hiccup since - also I have often found primary HDDs that get "tired" and play up will serve very reliably as storage or non critical back up

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 12, 2007 08:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak: After I erased and reformatted it, the old drive worked fine for several days, and both Disk Utility and Drive Genius say it's in perfect shape. Although I was tempted a little to just leave it, I couldn't trust it with my life again.

In the words of the mighty macmcseboy... "Any drive over 3 years old is a time bomb." [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

However, it is now planted in a sleek Momobay portable firewire drive enclosure, where it makes a nice don't-trust-it-but-it's-good to have-to-have triple backup drive.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture