homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » April 4th, 2:00PM EDT *cancelled* *sigh* (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: April 4th, 2:00PM EDT *cancelled* *sigh*
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 22:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking of you Steen...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 02:23      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And me, Steen... good luck and best wishes in absolutely every respect... we miss you too much already round here!
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 02:32      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope everything goes okay.

*concern*

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 06:56      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get well soon!
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 09:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Steen's scheduled surgery is quite imminent (being only a little more than an hour from now) this is probably a good time for us to begin remembering his need for strength, calm and comfort, whether by silent thoughts, wishes, prayers -whatever your personal belief or practice.

Now is the time.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 11:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*groggy from the first anastesia in pre-op*

turns out i still hae some sign of infection, so the surgery is delayed. dunno until when, but they'll tell me and I'll post here *sigh*

I'm going to give in and sleep now

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 11:32      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hug*

We'll be here for round 2, too.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 11:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there. It seems the medical staff knows their stuff, and prefers the safe side. So take it easy, take the time you need, and get better.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 12:08      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me gives you a hug and wills you better....

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 13:29      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*huggles* Best of luck and feel better soon! [Smile]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 17:14      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hugs* yes, get lots of rest! it must have been dreadfully stressful :-p
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 18:23      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear that. It is hard to gear up emotionally for surgery. You just want it over. Hugs!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 17:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen __________________________ Any clue as to when a second attempt may be tried?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 00:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To All:

The infections are under control and gradually going away, but it'll still be a week or so before surgery.

Because all they'll really be doing for that week is administering vancomycin(sp?), I'm actually going to be discharged tomorrow so I can go home, sleep in my own bed! and get the IV antibiotic administered by home health care.

So... the good news is I'm no longer in serious danger from the previous antibiotic toxicisity and safe to be home for a bit. The down side is that surgery is delayed for a bit more than I expected, so I'm still just waiting.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 03:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen ________________________ Damn that sucks. One more week to worry about you. We need you in good health.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 06:30      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know you are in my thoughts. If you wouldn't mind, I will light a candle at church for your speedy recovery and safe surgery.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 16:52      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Safe surgery and successful recovery Steen! (Brings the powers of healing from the Elves in Lord of the Rings) [Smile]

I think I will light a candle too, and ask my Mom to light one in church.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 16:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no words in the English language to sufficiently describe how much better my own bed feels than the hospital bed.

Infections and delayed surgery be damned, I feel happy for the moment. G'night all.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 06, 2007 17:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hospitals are no place to get well.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 17:06      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen I remember my hospital stay, which was two weeks, and I still vividly remember that I could not lie in any shape or form except face up, due to the IVs. I like to sleep on my stomach.

I wanna see that infection gone, and then a speedy surgery and recovery. Good luck this coming week. [Smile]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2007 13:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... I saw the doctor today and I guess it's time for an update.

I still have some signs of infection and the surgery would vastly increase the chances of a difficult to treat septic infection that would stand a good chance of killing me, so it is cancelled. For the foreseeable future, I will have to spend a few days in the hospital every two or three months in order to have fluid drained from my peritoneal cavity. Fun is. [Roll Eyes]

If I stay healthy for quite a while, it's possible that the surgery may be reconsidered, but there is no guarantee of that ever happening.

Aside from that, I'm feeling quite a bit stronger now and more capable of doing things. I still have quite a way to go in order to regain my stamina and recover fully, but for the most part I'm capable of resuming my life now.

I'm going to receive one more dose of IV antibiotic and then the central line will come out. A day or two after that, I should be able to return to work.

So... that's it then. I'm not dying today or, I hope, anytime soon. I just have one more bit of medical annoyance to put up with. Not the worst outcome by far.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2007 13:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll raise my cup of [freshly-brewed] coffee to that!

Best of luck to you, and I hope your health improves in leaps and bounds. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2007 13:40      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen - sorry to hear that the surgery is cancelled, but still - the crisis, thankfully, has passed and you are getting your life back. That is good to hear. [Smile]

I suspect that I am not the only one here who is impressed by your calm and philosophical attitude to your medical circumstances. With your brave and sensible approach, you could even be British! [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2007 13:52      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, glad you're doing ok, but that sounds like quite the exciting procedure to look forward to. Is it painful and tedious, or just painful?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 16, 2007 13:52      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you're continuing to improve, Steen, though I'm sorry to hear they won't be able to fix the problem in the foreseeable future.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture