homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Are you happy? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Are you happy?
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 26, 2007 08:16      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARe you happy? Why? or, why not?
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 08:20      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, because I do not spend time asking myself "am I happy?"

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 08:24      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - though obviously there are small ups and downs [Big Grin]

Overall - I'm happier on the whole now than I ever have been.

(Oh, and as for why? My youngest kid survived cancer, and is doing well in school. My wife is preparing to finally launch her career as an author. I get paid enough that I no longer worry much about money. I have enough time on my hands to follow GC. I get lots of great sex. I am able to live in an area with beautiful weather. Life is good.)

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 08:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I have the love of my life, our awesome little man, our troublesome but cute puppy, my own house, a job that pays the bills, some fun hobbies, and lots to look forward to.

And we have our health.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 08:51      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That depends on what your definition of happy is.
I'm happy that I'm been very productive creatively lately, but unhappy that it is as it has always been in the past, I haven't been getting recognition for it, least of all, money. I'm planning to change that situation, and I hope it works.
I'm very unhappy about my financial situation.
I'm happy that I have family, but worry about the fact that it can't last forever and what will I do when they're gone.
I'm happy that I don't need drugs or alcohol anymore, and have pretty much lost any craving for them. But I realize that monster is still there and I need to watch myself carefully.
I could be unhappy about the world situation, but recognize the fact that it is mostly out of my control and I don't run the world.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 08:56      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In an overall, metaphysical sort of sense, I'm happy. There are things that could improve like pay regularity, or an easier class load or more time with my son, that would increase my happiness.

I'm excited to reach a point where I have the resources to start dating again. That'll take a lot of the edge off.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 09:23      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm unhappy because i'm sick of getting kicked in the nuts from life. Damn you! [Mad]

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

Posts: 55 | From: aveiro, portugual | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 09:28      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good portion of happiness is a choice. I choose to focus on the good, so I generally consider myself to be happy.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 09:41      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Sxeptomaniac says. There are some annoyances I would like to get rid of, some pluses I'd like to add to my life, but overall, I find myself in a "count my blessings" situation. So yes, I'm happy.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 10:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the most part, yeah. I'm nervous about the future, so I enjoy the now for what it is. My pay sucks, but that will change. I hate the experiments I'm doing right now. I hate them so much that sometimes I even get hit with waves of revulsion and despair when I just touch the glassware I use to perform them. But they will end some day, and then I can do something else. I just hope the data is relevant/worthwhile. I'd hate to think I suffered through all this crap for nothing.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 10:05      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
For the most part, yeah. I'm nervous about the future, so I enjoy the now for what it is. My pay sucks, but that will change. I hate the experiments I'm doing right now. I hate them so much that sometimes I even get hit with waves of revulsion and despair when I just touch the glassware I use to perform them. But they will end some day, and then I can do something else. I just hope the data is relevant/worthwhile. I'd hate to think I suffered through all this crap for nothing.

What kind of experiments would inspire such loathing?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 10 posted March 26, 2007 10:32      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm happy, overall.

I mean, I'm not running around in circles laughing maniacally screaming the praises of being happy-go-lucky all of the time: that's just stupid. I think I'm happy because when I reach a calm state, I tend to smile more than frown. I used to frown instead of smile.

Life's not easy, but I have a partner to walk through it with me. Even when it's really bad, it's really not that bad. I have my basic needs met, and many of my wants are met as well. All in all, as a life goes? I am quite fortunate and have reached that point in my life where I can be thankful to have experienced the bad I endured then to appreciate the good I celebrate now.

So, yes. As happy lives go, I may be nasty and cynical or frustrated and bitter, but I am content.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 11:16      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides all the things that stress me out (class!), I'm happier than I've been in a long time, and I'm slowly finding out who I am, which so far, I really like!
Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 11:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:

The kind that take two or three days to perform and five seconds to utterly ruin. The kind that has to be run about five times to get one good data point, and I need 26 - in triplicate. The kind that produces results I need about a week in front of Excel to analyze, and then another week because I spent the previous week with my head up my ass and did the analysis wrong. That kind.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 17:26      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness comes in flashes for moments. You probably cannot acheive it by actively seeking it, and you cannot hold on to it. I know that the world is a beautiful place, life is precious, and that I am lucky, and have a wonderful loving family, and plenty to interest and challenge me, and there is nothing concrete in my life that causes me distress, so I am very definitely not complaining. But I do not expect or pursue happiness, or dwell much on it, but when I stumble on it for a moment or two it is a bonus. As Blake said

He who binds to himself a joy
doth the winged life destroy
he who kisses it as it flies
lives in eternity's sunrise

Perhaps a little divine discontent isn't such a bad thing, happiness can quite easily turn into a preening smugness. One may be allowed occasionally to feel pleased, but hopefully never satisfied, because then the journey is over. There are more important things in life than personal happiness, and though one hopes that a degree of happiness may be granted, if one lives a good life, I suspect that it may also be something that is either hardwired into your character or not.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 17:35      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is an inbox full of bills that run out before the money does.

Happiness is coming home from a day at work to warm arms and a deep kiss.

Happiness is a child snuggled up asleep next to you with that little smile.

Happiness is the freedom to laugh and joke with friends, read, listen to music, or just do nothing.

Happiness is the feeling of being needed, of being wanted, and of being useful.

--------------------

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 19:16      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Happiness is an inbox full of bills that run out before the money does.

out, no job

quote:

Happiness is coming home from a day at work to warm arms and a deep kiss.

out, no job and no s/o

quote:

Happiness is a child snuggled up asleep next to you with that little smile.

out, no s/o and no kids

quote:

Happiness is the freedom to laugh and joke with friends, read, listen to music, or just do nothing.

out, got plenty of nothing to do - and nowhere to go and nothing to do if i went, which i can't afford to go anyway

quote:

Happiness is the feeling of being needed, of being wanted, and of being useful.

out, see #1 and #2

yeah....... so that'd be a NO

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 21:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least you haven't wrecked a car in the last few days........or have you?
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 21:18      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me gives -ct- a hug

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 22:13      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see...what am I happy about?

I'm happy to be rowing again, that so far I have all A's and only two B's in my classes, that I've grown a 1/2 inch, that I can run farther now then I could a month ago, that I have some really great friends, that my family is wonderful, that my dog such a sweetie boy...

I'm not happy that my brother is dropping out of high-school and getting his GED and plans on joining that Army, that my hands are blistered from getting used to the oars at crew again, that I keep getting water splashed on my glasses, that it's muddy due to all the rain we're getting were I live right now, that I might be moving, that I have 10 extra pounds that could go...

Sorry that was more of a rant wasn't it? I do feel better though. So thank you for asking. That makes me happy. [crazy]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 01:11      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

quote:

The kind that take two or three days to perform and five seconds to utterly ruin. The kind that has to be run about five times to get one good data point, and I need 26 - in triplicate. The kind that produces results I need about a week in front of Excel to analyze, and then another week because I spent the previous week with my head up my ass and did the analysis wrong. That kind.

Are there any other types of experiment?
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 03:25      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think on average I'm happy. The money situation sucks, but then I'm a UK student so it's supposed to (one of those rites of passage, apparently). And I have a job lined up for summer, so if I can keep my head above water until then I'll cope.

Work is all right - I'm not too stressed yet, but exams are rapidly approaching and I'm getting the feeling that I really should have done more reading over the year. Never mind, these things always turn out fine.

I have an awesome gf, who although she drives me mad sometimes I love to bits. My friends are cool and the hobbies I get time to do are fun. I wish I had more time to do other stuff though.

So yeah, I think I'm happy.

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 04:39      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:

quote:

I'm inclined to say no, though the benefit of being a Computer Science researcher is that we can rerun our old experiments instantly (for whatever that's worth).

Am I happy? I have to worry about being shot every day, I have no friends in the area since I just moved here and make friends slowly, I'm severely overworked, I only have the time to eat one meal per day at most, I'm still not even doing research in the area I signed up to do research in, I'm running a B in my class for the first time in a very long time because my professor makes it a policy to give out only one A, and I just received another rejection letter from Princeton despite all of my accomplishments.

No, I am not happy. After all I've done, I deserve better than this.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 07:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to grad school. Have a nice stay.

I found that changing my definition of "meal" helped. And it does get better when you're done with coursework.

quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
quote:

quote:

Not really, but there are definitely some that are more fun to do.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 08:38      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness comes and goes along with misery. Being level headed and on an even keel, ready to accept the vast array that life offers, is a better goal. Too much happiness, like too much ice cream, is definitely a bad thing. But that good old neutral feeling of knowing where you stand, not getting caught up in emotional extremes, and encouraging others not to do so, that more or less rules. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture