homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I has a talent (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I has a talent
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 01:18      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you know that I can put stuff on my head and dance around?

-

This is a picture of me at my college talent show type thing, dancing with this stack of stuff on my head to one of the songs from the Amelie soundtrack. I started with the Anatomy guide on the bottom and then danced around the stage putting more books on my head. After I got all of the books on there my friend got on stage and stacked all of the Domino's cups on top. The talent show is during a "come to our school!" weekend; we try to put on a good show for the prospective students.

I've been doing this since I was a little geek but I didn't do it at school growing up because people would try to scare me or knock things off my head. It's not even a talent, really, because women in some countries do this on a regular basis--I've just taken the time to learn how to find my center of mass.

Does anybody else have any strange talents that they'd like to share?

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 01:39      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who are you sticking your tongue out at? [Razz]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 01:44      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be a concentration thing. I know I stick out my tongue when focusing in just about any context.

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 02:05      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I don't recall sticking my tongue out at anything in particular, it just happened to be the best shot out of the group of photographs taken.

--------------------

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 05:37      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goofy talent? Why yes, I do have one! [Razz]

I can write with my feet.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 24, 2007 05:48      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my talents are goofy. [crazy]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 06:11      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this considered a talent?

-

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 06:38      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think so, because most of the college students I know can do that... although, it depends on the amazing-ness of the talent...

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 08:40      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Mommy says I'm really good at being pedantic. She also tells me all those positive things mothers are supposed to say, so it balances out. If you're pedantic enough, can that be a tallent?

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 24, 2007 08:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GOOOOOO!

awesome talent! although I suspect those Domino's cups are filled with helium and glued to the books. The old floating stack of books trick. [Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 14:35      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
My Mommy says I'm really good at being pedantic. She also tells me all those positive things mothers are supposed to say, so it balances out. If you're pedantic enough, can that be a tallent?

Yes, it can be a talent [Smile]

(It's a joke... the post is about pedantry)

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 15:08      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:

maybe

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 6 posted March 24, 2007 18:15      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a Reality Distortion Field [evil]
Behold, my friends because there comes the Steve Jobs sucessor!

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2007 11:27      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
Did you know that I can put stuff on my head and dance around?

That's awesome! [Applause]

I have no impressive talents like that - but I guess I have a pretty good ear for drums. That's something [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2007 12:55      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-ct- has another talent, but not one he like to discuss too openly [Big Grin]

Sorry -ct- no offence meant, I had a bit of a talent like that for a while

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 00:38      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, I can too! Haha, I love it, walking up and down stairs with my school books on top of my head. [Smile]

I can also wiggle nose Samantha Stevens style. [Applause]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 08:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask your Mom about my talents. She knows them all too well.

.. sorry.. I went there.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 10:30      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Ask your Mom about my talents. She knows them all too well.

.. sorry.. I went there.

She said you where horrible and that it took forever to find it. Apparently it didn't want to come out to play.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 16:20      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yer talent's fine goo.

But how did you manage to find the center of yer mass, lass? Did ye have a helper?

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 08:49      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine you have lots of good trial and error stories about how you developed your talent. Please share. And post some more balancing pics for our ocular exhaltation.

As for me, I can make noises that annoy anyone within a 40 foot diameter.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2007 23:27      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Yer talent's fine goo.

But how did you manage to find the center of yer mass, lass? Did ye have a helper?

No, not really. I just sort of walked around the house with stuff on my head. I did dance for a number of years but I don't think it helped, as I wasn't much of a serious dancer.

Oh, but here's another picture/story:

-

I did this to the DotA song (you know, this thing). This time I started off with a Physics book and then asked audience members to contribute more to my growing stack of objects. Someone finally added the whole stack of cups, so I danced around and walked up and down stairs and wowed the audience. It was quite the act.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2007 07:33      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
I did this to the DotA song (you know, this thing).

That song reminded me of Rosa Helikopter.

And, as I have a grandson only a few years younger than you, goo, I hope it is alright for me to say that you sure are a cutie. I've only been around the forums for a couple of years, but it has been fun watching you, (and a few others), as you grow up and move on...
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2007 08:23      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
as I have a grandson only a few years younger than you, goo, I hope it is alright for me to say that you sure are a cutie

You're not trying to set the two of them up, are you?! [hearts]

[Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2007 08:46      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
You're not trying to set the two of them up, are you?! [hearts] [Wink] [Razz]

Not just now. He's not yet 15 and lives in England. (A bit like you in that latter regard, eh, Stibbons?) But you're certainly of an age...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 03:10      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shnorf! I have some pictures exceedingly similar! My talent is balancing things on my head whilst under the influence.

I had a competition with a friend over t'internet to see who could a) drink most whilst b) balancing the best thing on their head.

As you can see, I won. [Razz]

As proof I have

Exhibit A (ceramic cat)

Exhibit B (salad bowl and sellotape)]

And Exhibit C (A chicken korma ready meal, some pot pourri and a christmas bauble)

*bows*

I thank you.

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture