homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Iced Tea Making

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Iced Tea Making
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 17:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear and I received this really cool iced tea maker for our wedding, but I'm having some issues with it. Well, actually, just one issue:

When do you add the sugar? The directions that came with the machine make it sound like you put it in the brew basket with the filter* and the tea. However, that clogs up the works sometimes. And even when it doesn't, a thick residue of sugar is usually left in the basket. If I add it to the pitcher on top of the ice cubes before I start brewing, it just settles to the bottom. Must I start making sugar syrup like they do in the south to stir in after I've finished brewing the tea?

*If I use tea bags, must I still use a filter?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 23:22      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that adding the sugar is always done after the tea is finnished. also, if you use tea in bags the bags should be enough of a filter. I make iced tea by letting tea bags sit in a pitcher of water in the sun for a few hours. I never add suger into any tea. (which is why I always have to make my own iced tea becuase store bought tea is always sweetened.)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 03:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom has a good sun tea recipe, too. The cool thing about our present is that we have iced tea within 10 minutes... even on days when there's no sun. [Smile]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 05:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha...mere mortals and the iced tea...
/me looks in the general direction of Boston, where a certain member's 'tea' can make you pucker up and keep you awake for awhile. [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 06:33      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who, me? [Wink]
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 09:15      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's like mine (a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea maker), don't put the sugar in the brewing basket. Put it in the pitcher after you've measured the water out. Mine says to put the sugar in the brewing basket with the tea bags, too, but that's crazy talk. Just stir the freshly-brewed tea while it's still hot and easy to dissolve the sugar, then add the remaining ice and water.
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 10:58      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad uilleann's not here.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 11:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
Who, me? [Wink]

Yes'm. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 11:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:

Why? He's more into soda, afaik.

If we were talking about something loosely related, that'd be another story, but that's a pretty warped extension of things.

--------------------

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 11:54      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by boo:

Why? He's more into soda, afaik.
Yeah, no, that's not it. [Smile]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 19, 2007 16:41      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
If it's like mine (a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea maker), don't put the sugar in the brewing basket. Put it in the pitcher after you've measured the water out. Mine says to put the sugar in the brewing basket with the tea bags, too, but that's crazy talk. Just stir the freshly-brewed tea while it's still hot and easy to dissolve the sugar, then add the remaining ice and water.

Hmmm... that's a thought. I usually forget about the water and fill the pitcher with ice. [crazy] So I should just totally forget about the ice instead of the water. :lightbulb: Thanks, supaboy!

BTW, do you live anywhere near Greenville? I have in-laws there. Visited once last year for the first time. 'Twas very fun.

--------------------

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 18:52      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Hmmm... that's a thought. I usually forget about the water and fill the pitcher with ice. [crazy] So I should just totally forget about the ice instead of the water. :lightbulb: Thanks, supaboy!

BTW, do you live anywhere near Greenville? I have in-laws there. Visited once last year for the first time. 'Twas very fun.

Yeah, you're gonna put the pitcher in the fridge at some point anyway, so the ice is not critical IMO.

Greenville is about 90 miles away. I've been there a couple times, most recently for the Greenville Cycling Classic, where I got George Hincapie's autograph, and got to see a kid I used to teach karate to when he was in grade school race with professionals. [Applause]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 20:43      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my beautiful home state of North Carolina, you heat up the water, take it off the burner, seep in the tea bags and then dump in the sugar--and I mean dump it in. Typical sweet tea calls for about a cup of sugar for every gallon of tea. Some people can't stand it but I grew up drinking sweet tea so I love it. The important thing is to put the sugar into the pitcher while the tea is still hot but not boiling.

--------------------
Y los sueńos, sueńos son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2007 05:26      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Supergoo in regard to making sweet tea--6 tea bags in a four cup measuring cup, fill with boiling water and steep. When its very dark, pour it in a one gallon pitcher, add one cup of sugar, and fill to the one gallon line with cold water.

An ice tea maker would never work for us because we go through at least 2 gallons of sweet tea a week at home.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2007 07:32      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
I never add suger into any tea. (which is why I always have to make my own iced tea becuase store bought tea is always sweetened.)

Not always. Tejava is an excellent unsweetened tea, and Trader Joe's has started offering a couple of other varieties under their own label. Of course, I imagine the nearest store is still a tad far away, but I can gloat, can't I? [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture