homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Personal review time!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Personal review time!
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 15:34      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my yearly review at work this past week. I finally read the entire review today and, for no particular reason, decided to post my manager's comments here. I've removed the company name, of course, and replaced my real name with Steen. Acronyms are explained at the end.

Steen is excellent with customers and finding ways to improve on that is a tough one. Steen’s real strength is his technical expertise and he finds himself sought for help and assistance more than he really has time for. He prioritizes the needs and works most urgent/critical to less urgent/critical. Steen always can provide an excellent customer write up or review of recent history when needed for DSMs, LBPs, and management.

Steen is very good in the role of mentor or teacher. He is patient and he develops good materials, taking the person step by step what they need to learn/accomplish. He reviews PSA cases and makes additional case notes to assist the case owner. Steen misses many Technology/Core meetings due to customer calls or PSA needs. In this new year I would like to see him attend those more often than not, to represent Product Support and to bring customer issues and technical problems up, even if not yet needing escalation. His input during these meetings will give him more visibility and he often has knowledge about the subjects being discussed and his input is valuable. Steen also was instrumental in the training of 2 new PSEs in Knoxville for Manila, and also a new Knoxville based PSA this year.

Steen is known world wide for being an excellent, technical expert Sr. PSA for all [companyname] products but especially the [online system]. [companyname] people call Steen at all hours, even evenings and weekends seeking his help and assistance. Steen develops and reviews newly developed training materials before they are published and used for Class (OSE Class, Transient, 5.0 class). Steen also works closely with his Manager to decide how we move forward with new processes and procedures. He has good input understanding how PSAs think, and how they might interpret or react to changes within the department. Most all the PSAs confide in Steen and talk to him about department or other work issues. He is a good [companyname] / management representative.

So... basically I'm great but I blow off meetings more often than she would like [Big Grin]

PSA - Product Support Analyst
PSE - Product Support Engineer*
DSM - District Sales Manager
LBP - Local Business Partner
OSE - Online Systems Engineer*

*My company abuses the term 'engineer' badly. My apologies to those who are real engineers. I have no say-so in the matter.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 15:45      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice review steen - but now newbs here will be asking you questions 24/7. [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 22:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for good reviews!!! They can definitely be motivators, and help out with the dosh.

Personally, I was very happy with:
When the foo on the bar became corrupted dude to an unplanned power outage, dragon was able to solve the issue where Vendor Foo technical support was stumped.

-and-

dragon is ready for a senior level in the department.

Stuff like this slightly alters my views on a matter some GC folks know I'm pondering...thanks for a nice reminder, Steen. [Smile]

(And yes, the review may be a few months old, but I still have it in my briefcase. What /isn't/ in that thing, anyway? [Wink] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 22:42      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal fav

"WinterSolstice is astoundingly technical, but needs to develop his management skills"

lol - I love that [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 00:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me guess, that glowing review resulted in a 1.1% annual raise?

One of the good things about being a contractor is that the 'annual review' ritual doesn't apply.

I did have the team leader from hell hand me a performance review form once, about a year and a half ago, I thanked him politely, folded it neatly, and placed it ostentatiously in the waste paper bin.

He never tried that bu11sh1t again.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 07:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it was 3%... it's always 3%.

To get less, you really have to screw up badly and management has the mindset that anyone who deserves more will get it by being promoted. Being happy in your position and not aspiring to promotion is an alien concept to them.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 08:22      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, seriously. I've been told I'm dangerously limiting my career and all sorts of doom and gloom because I don't want to manage people.

WTF? I hate people. I hate managers. I have no interestest in managing people.

It looks like I may get a chance to turn down a promotion.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 11, 2007 08:53      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[companyname] people call Steen at all hours, even evenings and weekends seeking his help and assistance.
wow. what an honour. [Mad] [Razz]

Nice review! [Smile] [Geek]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 09:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
[companyname] people call Steen at all hours, even evenings and weekends seeking his help and assistance.
wow. what an honour. [Mad] [Razz]

IIRC, he gets a metric assload of cash for that honorable task, though. ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 10:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I get compensated very well for being on call. I don't have any complaint about that at all. [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 15:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I get jack for being sort of on call...but I got 5% last year and 6% this year. [Smile]

(Keeping in mind that x% of $0 is still $0. [Wink] )

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 15:51      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahaha - I get precisely nada for it as well. It's theoretically part of my base salary [Big Grin]

My workload goes like this - 60% of problems 9-5. 30% of problems 5-9, 10% of problems on weekends around 3 in the morning.
Hopefully that's not the case for most of you!
[Big Grin]

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 16:27      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now it's 8:27 on a Sunday night and the midnight shift is
about to come on at the plant. I'm thinking, "Did I get that last
patch installed?" The time change won't have any serious effect
on those OS9 machines were still using. It never has before.
Everything is going to be ok, right?"

Sigh, many a midnight call and it is considered to be built into
my current salary.

/me sits down shivering, staring at the phone....

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 16:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a good reason for why I get the bonus money for being on-call...

My official job responsibilities basically amount to second level product support and I am so overqualified for the position that it's not even funny. To relieve the boredom, I invent work for myself (and others get dragged in too, but I handle the bulk of it) and some of these things have become permanent and recurring duties that the company depends on, even though they're not officially in my job description and I don't get paid for them.

Sounds great for the company and bad for me, doesn't it?

The catch is... nobody else can do all the things that I do and they can't put them as requirements for the job if I ever left (HR would never allow it because it would up the pay grade considerably). My direct manager recognizes this and isn't exactly happy with it, but can't do anything about it either except try to keep me happy. She fought for the bonus money as a way of giving me a big honkin' raise (15% or so) without HR actually knowing what was going on.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 09:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine are usually something like:

"dnm's technical ability and skill is unparalleled, but sometimes he needs to take his coworker's feelings into account."

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 09:56      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Let me guess, that glowing review resulted in a 1.1% annual raise?

Here's one for you. When we do annual performance reviews, all we get is the "time of reflection to help objectively assess strengths and weakness, and enhance individual and corporate effectiveness." No raises on the table whatsoever. You can see why I jump right on taking care of those. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 12:26      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
nice review steen - but now newbs here will be asking you questions 24/7. [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

As a sort of newb I promise I won't ask Steen loads of questions, only a few that are incomprehensible.

As for your review Steen....wonderful! Well done!
[Applause]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture