homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I'm old enough to remember ... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: I'm old enough to remember ...
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 12:05      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when 5 1/4" floppy disks were considered "small", because the previous format was 7". I don't recall using any of the 7" disks, however.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 12:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
I remember when 5 1/4" floppy disks were considered "small", because the previous format was 7". I don't recall using any of the 7" disks, however.

8" actually, but what's an extra inch between friends?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 13:33      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember being grumpy when Apple cost-reduced the auto-inject floppy drive out of their computers. What do you mean I have to shove it all the way in myself?

Erm. You can interpret that last comment any way you want, I guess.

(Edited to fix retarded spelling error.)

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 13:45      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:

Ah, you're correct. I guess I'm not quite old enough to remember that accurately [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 09, 2007 13:57      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to remember a Sony expo of Future Technologies... lame.
I didn't know any other OS than Windows 95 and Linux was that penguin thing.
Our president at the time was involved in a drug scandal uncovered by the next president who in fact worsen every aspect in Colombia.
Remember Barbie Girl, and played over and over again the Backstreet Boys [blush] .

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 16:51      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember playing with my Speak 'n' Spell and Speak 'n' Math.

And I feel like I grew up in the earlier computer revolution, because our first computer was an 8088 "IBM Clone" rather than something running Windows. [Razz]

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 19:47      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember being dragged out of bed in the middle of the night to watch the Moon landing. We looked at a blurry grey trapezoid on a black background for a few minutes, then everyone cheered and I was sent back to bed.

It took me almost exactly thirty years to clue-in to why I didn't remember seeing a guy in a space suit [blush] What we watched was the actual landing as seen through the LM window; when Armstrong stepped off the next day we were on the highway somewhere between Toronto and Halifax.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 20:14      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also remember when my highschool got a 32kB Commodore PET to go alongside the 8kB machines; we all wondered why on Earth anyone would ever need 32 kilobytes of RAM...

The computer lab still had a couple of card presses in the corner with decks of Fortran code in them.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 20:31      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Sometimes it's everything. [blush]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 22:59      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe, dirty [Wink]

Oh, I'm old enough to still remember the original Transformers. I still love em. Still have all my old toys too. First one I ever got was Motor Mouth in Changi Airport, Singapore when I was a wee little tacker. Must've been about 20 years ago now. [Happytears]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Powderhound
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4519

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 11:41      Profile for Powderhound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
first of all. thank you everyone for making me feel older than dirt, because not only do i remember all off the above, but i remember armstrong & co landing on the moon (sorry, i know this is sort of a twofer) as well as all the feeds from mission control during apollo 13 showing the engineers working away furiuosly on their slide rules (that's right folks, no calulators for those boys) trying to figure out how to bring the astonauts back.
Posts: 13 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2007 11:48      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just old enough to remember Luke's parentage being a spoiler in The Empire Strikes Back.
Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 00:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to remember flares, and platform shoes.

But I'm told that with enough therapy, I'll be able to forget.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 01:57      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to remember three figure member #s.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 07:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to remember ... umm ... hmm ...

I'm old enough to forget :-/

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 07:48      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to remember Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and the Rat Fink.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 15:25      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember learning the words to "Little Arrows" (~1968?) off my grandma's kitchen radio... I Googled/Limewired it a few weeks ago, what an annoying song. Never revisit your past!
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 12, 2007 01:55      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too remember the moon landing - I watched it on the BBC news and I was all of 5 at the time.

I also remember using a mechanical calculator at school which had a lever on the side to make it work. And I still have both my slide rules (pocket one for quick calculations and a BIG one for more precision. I don't USE them now of course.

*Sigh* Happy days . . .

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 11:46      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright I can think of several things but I'll boil it down to these.

I'm old enough to remember when the only audio in the car was an AM radio. And then 8-tracks (remember the Panasonic portable player?).

Captain Kangaroo. That's another one.

Oh, and getting soda out of the machine where you pulled out the glass bottles.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 11:54      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when you opened a can of fizzy pop, and the ring pull came off in your hand!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 10:50      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when it was legal to wrap Fish & Chips in old newspapers - Blech! [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 17:50      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been here five years, almost, and I'm still young.

Actually, it's kind of a refreshing feeling. I talk to kids these days who don't know what Ghostwriter was.

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 13, 2007 18:44      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Ghostwriter was the R0X0R!!!!1!!one11!
The Spanish dubbing was relatively *new*, just when Discovery Kids started as a 6+ channel, not the awkward, kiddie, brain-washer type it has become these days...

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Contest. Group. Success.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 13, 2007 18:49      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found out that I'm old enough to remember when Cable TV was still a privilege.

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 05:54      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can remember:

Rotary dial telephones
4 major network channels and a few UHF ones
Remote controls with 20 foot long cords
No cells phones anywhere whatsoever
No internet - only one user at a time BBS dialup

And I'm really not THAT old, dangit! [Eek!]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture