homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I'm old enough to remember ... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: I'm old enough to remember ...
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 15:50      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand this is the age of speed dating, this is more an act of carbon dating.

Only one memory per post, and geeky things count double ...

This is not my oldest memory but appropriate for geeks.

I'm old enough to remember when my best friend's oil delivery business handled its billing with an Apple II computer.

Don't be shy.

You're old enough to remember what?

Whippersnappers

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 16:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic _________________ I was growing up in Decatur Mi and when we got a phone we had a four digit number thats right folks there were not ten thousand people in that little crossroads.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 16:14      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 70's down here in the heart of Cajun country, we still had drive in movies and my grandmother had a party line.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 16:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a kid, people didn't ask your phone number, they asked if you had a phone number.

My family got a phone when I was 10.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 17:33      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember actually having to DIAL a number. Not push buttons. You would turn a dial. And then it would fairly slowly roll back and you would turn it again for the next number. And all phones where connected to the wall. And you put a really long cord on it so you could move about the room you where in.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 18:01      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember at school (and I was 16 by then) we had a "steam terminal" to the local college computer... it had a "real" audio coupling modem (where you dialled and then put the handset into a foam filled box and flicked a little switch on the outside) and if you typed in a program in BASIC, you could save it for later reinstallation by getting a little "ticker tape" punched paper ribbon that could be run back through a reader...

One of my friends spent weeks programming a "huge" game he called Magic Caverns into it and we all took turns playing it (text based RPG it would be known as now.... L/R/F/B? L - you hit the wall, L/R/F/B? F - You meet a Wibble Monster - R/F/MS.... etc.) Seems totally crude and rubbish? It was totally heaven and an unbelievably magic experience. We played it every chance we got until the "steam terminal" got taken away... We were leaving school then anyway.

I didn't really have any real involvement with computers for another 10 years bar a bit of tinkering with ZX81s and a few Amstrads until I was introduced to the Macintosh IICX in about 1990 - the rest, as they say, is history....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 18:14      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father had an LED watch. It was a power hog when on, so you pressed a push button to turn on display and it would shut off after you let it go.

I think I get my geekiness from my father. He signed up for a course that taught him to repair televisions. Part of the course required him to build one from parts. I was three years old watching him solder circuits together and plug in tubes. He installed a huge antenna that must have been at least 60 foot high so that we could catch both New Orleans and Baton Rouge clearly.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 18:21      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to remember the world before the internet. [Happytears]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 18:40      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to remember writing programs on coding sheets and then taking the sheets to the keypunch to "enter" the program onto a stack of cards and then sending the stack of cards off to the "machine room" to have your stack of cards read and then hover around the "output bins" waiting for your paper output just to find out that you didn't space over to column 7 on one line and the whole thing didn't run because of it.
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 19:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to remember buying DRAM chips to stick in the empty memory expansion sockets on the Apple ][ memory card. 256k cost a -lot- back then.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 07, 2007 20:06      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm young enough to have played The Greatest Console Ever [Razz]
...remember when Compaq started selling the "multimedia" PC, Apple was almost broke, Geo Cities was the greatest thing in the Internet and Google didn't exist... scary.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 21:08      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to remember when computer word sizes were not all multiples of 8. (I've used 10, 18 and 36 bit machines)
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 21:41      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when AOL was mac-only.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 21:41      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm - let's see... 1 per post, eh?

I'm old enough that I learned C before it was standardized.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 21:44      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - I'm cheating by adding a second post [Big Grin]

I remember when INN and GEnie and Prodigy had all the good games, and Shadows of Yserbius was the best MMORPG ever.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 22:42      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember playing Pong in the Lobby of a Ramada Inn back in the 70s. And when this was THE game to have (it was released 4 years before Simon).
 - * Source
handheldmuseum.com

Oh and I remember my Grandparents having a party line in a small town in Michigan (Marion).

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 22:59      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:

I'm old enough to cheat, too. [Big Grin] And I want a piece of that amazing Treasure Chest cake. (I want a piece with some treasure, please)

And that Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal .. that was freakin' amazing!! [Eek!] Martha Stewart, eat your heart out.

/endhijack

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 06:37      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember having a Pong game console...that's all it played...and we thought it was great. Such an innovation!
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 06:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a lab I was once in buying a 200 mb drive -- I thought "we'll never fill that up".

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 07:13      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to have used eWorld. (My first Internet Community! [Happytears] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 07:24      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember having to make 4 partions on a 160Mb HD because dos 3.1 could only handle 40Mb drives.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 07:33      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:

I'm old enough to cheat, too. [Big Grin] And I want a piece of that amazing Treasure Chest cake. (I want a piece with some treasure, please)

And that Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal .. that was freakin' amazing!! [Eek!] Martha Stewart, eat your heart out.

/endhijack

Jess makes amazing cakes, and thanks - I love photography.

Here's another one:
I have a 50 MB miniscribe MFM hard-disk that's bigger and heavier than a Shuttle PC.

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 08:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm old enough to remember when the first man (allegedly) walked on the moon. Although I often wonder if I manufactured the memory (because I would have only been 3 years old) but I can recall being at my grandparents and watching it on a big ol' console black and white TV.

Years later (when I was arounf 10) I remember being totally stoked when my dad announced we were going to buy a colour TV which seemed completely amazing even though we only got two channels.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 09:19      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 09:25      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember us kids getting the Atari 2600 game console for Christmas. [Smile]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture