homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Ramen Noodle Fanatic (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ramen Noodle Fanatic
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 13:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love ramen noodles. I bought this package in an oriental store and ate them tonight. I bought the package because of the awesome picture on it. I had no idea of the flavor. It was really spicy, really fishy, and just a bit sweet. I don't even know what country it came from because I don't recognize the text. I pealled the nutritional information sticker off of it so I could get a better look at the picture to identify the flavor. It didn't list ingredients.

-

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 15:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of it myself. But the language is Thai.

And I looked up the flavor, Here is a wikipedia article that briefly touched on it.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 17:02      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom Yum is one of my favorite varieties of Thai. The Ramen I've had doesn't do it justice - ya really gotta go try it [Big Grin]

If you like that, Phở might also appeal to you. It's a Vietnamese soup very similar in a lot of respects.

*edit*
Apparently, Snaggy doesn't have Unicode support on here: the soup is called Pho (if you remove the language specific character)

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 00:24      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Tom Yum rocks, I'll agree. Note that Tom Yum is the general flavour of the thing (i think it means hot-sour, or similar in Thai), and the next bit is the type, eg Goong for seafood, or Gai, for chicken. Note that Tom Klong as appears on your packaging is apparently a slight variant on Tom Yum.

I'll second the recommendation on Pho. It's still one of my favourite noodle soup variants if not the favourite (although I adore the Japanese udon noodles)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 00:27      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmm udon....

Yeah, that stuff is the bomb, seriously. I don't know what it is, but a good bowl of that for lunch makes me happy all day.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 02:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For once, I'll let Snaggy off ... I don't imagine he's responsible for the shortcomings of UBB. And I've come to learn just how shitty phpBB is for administrators ... Ugh. Don't ever use phpBB -- it has the lightweight reliability of Firefox, but you hack up the code to add features, line by line, and redo it all again if an upgrade overwrites your hacking. Apparently no-one in the phpBB camp ever heard of modularity...

This forum runs in ISO Latin-1, so no, no Unicode. A very smart and knowledgeable friend was revulsed by Unicode from seeing Microsoft's use of it -- the binary unsafe UTF-16 -- without realising that UTF-8 is very clean and simple. For an English forum, you're not even going to need to care about collation because you don't sort by text (but posts by date, users by ID). You may care about accents during search, but unlikely.

To make UBB support Unicode, you should only need to do two things: convert all the database tables to Unicode, and change the HTTP and HTML headers to indicate that Unicode is spoken here. (There may be a few security issues, I am not sure, I'd have to ask her). But that's it. UTF-8 is an ASCII superset, and is widely supported by browsers. UBB would neither know, not care. UTF-16 involves NULLs and is pretty painful to deal with.

That said, some browsers, Internet Explorer and Firefox included, have a compensation mechanism. If you input Unicode into a text box, the characters are converted into entities for transmission. UBB tolerates entities and thus Unicode is supported indirectly:

กจอนพฤฐฬธคษ

I can only assume that whatever you're running, didn't send an HTML entity and thus broke the text?

IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 08:53      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a Thai restaurant in Orlando by Universal Orlando that we used to go to. But now it's gone; it's a time-share office now.... [Confused] [weep]

That is a cool package. I'd have bought it too. [Big Grin]

Now I don't know about authentic Ramen noodles but the generic brand you get in stores for like 7 for $1 got me through college! [Razz]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 09:27      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:

That said, some browsers, Internet Explorer and Firefox included, have a compensation mechanism. If you input Unicode into a text box, the characters are converted into entities for transmission. UBB tolerates entities and thus Unicode is supported indirectly

Thanks for that - checked it and found that Safari doesn't use the workaround that FireFox uses. So I went back and edited it with FF. Now it's nice [Smile]

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 14:15            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone using Safari needs their head examined (before it gets eaten by a lion) ;)
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 17:28      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Safari because I value a) my eyes and b) my time.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted February 12, 2007 18:09      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Opera because a) Is faster and b) Does more
I've never eaten Thai food, it's time to give it a try soon [Smile]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 04:39            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep trying Opera at periodic intervals over the years, from 5 up to 9. I've yet to find a version that isn't buggy or broken, and the design of 9 is a complete mess backed up by worthless documentation. I still keep it around for the odd bit of testing (does site X work in Opera?) but I won't ever use it.

So far, the best of the lot seems to be Firefox. Safari's reputation for poor stability puts me off the most (Firefox is unbelievably stable no matter how hard I tax it) and Safari takes the piss when it comes to features. Firefox is simple enough already, but Safari doesn't even let me configure the amount of history to keep? Or have a history viewer? Or anything, really.

Safari is like IE -- does nothing of any interest, except load really fast and then crash if you confuse it. Good if you're short on RAM and can't keep the likes of iCab or Firefox sitting in RAM all the time. But I do exactly that -- load the browser at boot and never close it.

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 05:36      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Safari doesn't even let me configure the amount of history to keep? Or have a history viewer? Or anything, really.

Set Safari's history length

Viewing history is as easy as clicking the "History" drop-down.

As for "piss for features", well to each their own. I like the fact there is a "bookmark" icon for the toolbar. I like the fact that I can set a pref with a check box to always open a set of bookmarks at once. I like the way it handles RSS. I like the fact that it works smoothly and consistently.

Yes, I use FF2 as well - it has some really awesome plugins. If I'm developing a site, I frequently use FF to help me debug.

On the RAM usage, it's really a huge difference. HUGE difference. I use a laptop as my only computer, and it has 2GB of RAM. That's all it will ever have. On this machine I am frequently coding, running SAP GUI, OO.o, Photoshop, and a browser. So therefore "Real Memory" usage is very important.

To contrast, both broswers are currently up right now, both open only to this page in geek culture. There are no other tabs. This is from a fresh browser restart.
Activity Monitor reports that Safari is consuming 33.34 MB of RAM and 1.9% of CPU.
Firefox, OTOH is using 197.25MB of RAM and 18.7% of CPU.
At idle.

Now seriously, do I really need my browser using 10% of my RAM and 20% of my CPU when it isn't doing anything? Wouldn't I rather have that RAM available for work?

Anyhow - I found this cool recipe if you are interested.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 08:21            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um ... I have PII 333 PC - Firefox 2 is using 8-12% CPU, 100 MB RAM. That's with a ton of extensions running and 19 tabs open. Since your Mac is sure to be substantially more powerful than mine, you have got some really serious problems that don't reflect Firefox as a whole. So serious, that I cannot begin to contemplate what you've done to it.

I have the option of adding a toolbar button for bookmarking a site, but whether that's a default button or one that's been added via an extension, I have no idea. I always use the menu bar for that in any browser -- I run with the smallest sane number of toolbar buttons and the most compact toolbar layout I can, including putting a toolbar into the menu bar. (Not sure why, as my address bar is way too long now)

If you seriously believe that the History drop-down is adequate, you can't use the Web much ... I have Firefox's history set to 60 days, which is not a lot, but it's low enough to not choke it entirely to death. I'd settle on infinity if I could, and I have the drive space for it. I want to know everywhere I've been, and feel confident in finding it again at any time. iCab is the only browser that comes close by default, here, but the Extended History Manager extension for Firefox is the best history viewer on earth (the best parts of iCab and Firefox combined). Firefox's in-built one sucks, but at least I have a day-by-day breakdown and instant search for any part of a URL or page title.

Now, if anyone had address bar access to all your history, by address and by page title, that would own. iCab has address bar access to history by address, and all bookmarks by address and page title (which if you are a bookmark freak, and I'm not, that alone is invaluable).

Safari is a cheap toy like IE ;)

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 10:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

All this talk of ramen made me hungry and I went to the only noodle bar in town for lunch. They have the best noodles but they charge approx 20-30 USD for a bowl of noodles in broth. I had Udon. <homer>mmmmmmmm Udonnnn</homer>

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 10:40      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
 -

All this talk of ramen made me hungry and I went to the only noodle bar in town for lunch. They have the best noodles but they charge approx 20-30 USD for a bowl of noodles in broth. I had Udon. <homer>mmmmmmmm Udonnnn</homer>

Mmmmm - sounds tasty - I might have to score some for lunch [Big Grin]

--------------------

Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 10 posted February 13, 2007 11:27      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I'm in the mood for Pho! Or Viet-style spring rolls . . . the ones with the shrimp are sooooooo good at this local(ish) place we have. Sadly, can't go, but they're really good!

One of Wintersolstice's co-workers gave our older son, the family ramen fanatic, a package of Tom Yum. He absolutely hated it. I guess all things have their taste. The picture of the surprised woman with what looks like a roasted kipper or large anchovy on the noodles is pretty amusing.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 12:10      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want better Safari history, you're gonna need a plugin. I had one; I can't remember what it was called, but it let you cache the text of all your pages (or just the title / URL) and then search for them in Spotlight. It was fantastic, and I loved it, but unfortunately I don't have that much hard disk space so I deleted it.

Overall, though, my favourite Safari plugin is the beautiful, fantastic Inquisitor X. It's sooo cool if you have a reasonably fast internet connection.

But overall, I prefer Safari because of its text rendering and image scaling (though FF on the Mac does a good job of image scaling). If you use the web a lot, it makes a big difference.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 13:51            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Text rendering ... ?

You've lost me. I use Windows 2000 and Mac OS 9 and cope perfectly. Average text in Windows 2000 isn't even anti-aliased, unlike Mac OS 9. Generally, I prefer type in Windows 2000 -- very good hinting, correct tracking even for serif face (unlike Mac OS 9, in which serif face is very poorly tracked), and doesn't come out huge and fuzzy.

I spend a lot of time on the Web and live without Photoshop-quality type. No need for it -- complete waste of CPU power and all it does is reduce legibility.

I even tried smooth anti-aliasing in 9 (using Greg Landweber's extension), but the drop in performance was actually shocking.

All that matters in day to day use is that I can read text. Nothing more. Artwork is a different matter.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 14:07      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an article about the kinds of things I mean. But I guess it's down to individual preference. I couldn't live without anti-aliasing any more.
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 14:46            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodness, you are such a wuss.

Hell, I have a great system of anti-aliasing: it's called running a monitor too high a res. Text is fuzzy enough that it anti-aliases itself ... Not quite, but I started out with an 8-bit micro on a black and white TV, where 80 column text mode wasn't even readable -- you needed a monitor to get 640 px across a single line. Even on a monitor it's fuzzy.

The examples on that page were nowhere near bad. Hell, to give me a really retro look I have anti-aliasing off in Mac OS 9 (I have it skinned as System 7) and italic text is really spindly like that, and it looked bad enough to start with.

Worse, the Safari examples still showed bad tracking. What good is all this fancy arse anti-aliasing if all the letters aren't tracked correctly? Various letters were off to one side of where they should be, for no reason at all (there was plenty of space to draw them correctly after all). That's even more annoying than bad anti-aliasing, but boy I can live without it. I won't die if I can't have anti-aliased text. There is no way I'd run a crap browser just so a few pixels are slightly better drawn (especially one that still has no idea what good tracking is).

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 05:22      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
Now I'm in the mood for Pho! Or Viet-style spring rolls . . . the ones with the shrimp are sooooooo good at this local(ish) place we have. Sadly, can't go, but they're really good!

Yes, Viet-style spring rolls are the bomb. The ones with rice paper wrappers, and that you dip in a sort of chilli sauce mixture? Very very yummy... haven't had them since I stopped working in the centre of the city...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2007 18:45      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am poor...and in college...(two things that seem to be synonymous)I've enjoyed this higher-class take on Ramen a few times, but for now, I stick to the economical "dollar-a-dozen" approach...

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2007 20:59      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to love them, but the thought of eating them now makes me gag. [Frown]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2007 21:23      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, aye...me too, me too...but they're food (or something a lot like it) [ohwell]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture