homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » [email protected]!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: [email protected]!!
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 13:27      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a rant, I can't even guarantee that it will be coherent.

So I made the mistake of majoring in Computer Science at an engineering school. Not only does my advisor not know what the FUCK she's talking about, she downtalks to me as well. I have two classes with her this semester: Discrete Structures (basically a class in fancy wording for concepts that anybody with an IQ of 100 or better knows from birth), and Database Programming.

I decided to challenge database programming because it seemed so simple.

The course objectives were as follows:

- What's a database?
- Entity-Relationship Model
- SQL

When my retarded bitch of a prof explained these the first couple days of class, I was like 'wow, I've done this before.' I've done database work before, and it was never too terribly complicated; whenever I encountered a problem, I would google the solution.

She also de-emphasized the importance of SQL in the class; learn the 'general idea', blah blah blah.

So I go to take the challenge test today (after having only a day to study for it), and I failed. Miserably. Wanna know why? Because I couldn't remember SQL.

I find it funny how, for all her attempts at de-emphasizing sql, it still made up like 90% of the test. I also find it interesting that they don't let me carry in my O'Reilley SQL pocket reference, since if I was writing code in the 'real world', as she puts it, I'd just google it or go the sqlzoo to find the solution. Afterwards, I told her that I failed and we sat down to talk about it, and the only message that came out of her mouth was, 'well, even if you know the general idea, we want you to seem like you have an education.'

Woman, I've been recruited for jobs by people who knew I'm only a freshman in college, how much do you think that matters to them?

I know some of you guys might be thinking, 'wow, he can't remember sql syntax. what an r-tard.' I know general syntax, but the problem with sql is that it's so english-y that it always seems there are multiple ways to phrase a given problem.

Not to mention it seems like she never knows what she's talking about. In discrete structures, one of our problems involved mapping one set onto another. Somehow, through the poor wording of the problem, I thought the question was 'how many different results can a function have when mapping set {1, 2} onto a set {a, b}'. One, I said, because a set is a set regardless of order- for those of you fortunate enough not to have a computer science degree, it's like this: {a, b} is exactly equal to {b, a}- order is irrelevent. Well, apparently they were asking for the number of ways one could be mapped onto the other. The answer, of course, is two, because there are two ways to achieve the same set. However, due to a combination of an improperly worded question and an incompetent teacher, I said there was only one way- a set is a set, there's only one result you can get using the criteria stated in the problem.

Well, it turns out that the result was not supposed to be a set, but a list, in which order DOES matter. Not that the problem stated it; we were just supposed to magically pull this information out of our collective assholes. Not only that, the prof starts patronizing me. 'Well, you obviously don't know what a function is.'

You cocksucker, I know what the fuck a function is- I'm in Calc III as a frosh, that's pretty rare at this school. You think I don't know what a function is? Admitted, the properties I knew of a function on the real number set were messing up my perception of functions on a discrete set, but still I KNOW WHAT THE FUCK A FUNCTION IS.

I don't even know why I'm going to school for this bullshit, it's all just vocabulary for shit I already know. I'm transferring to another university next semester (Montana State), and I'm gonna piss on Comp Sci and switch over to physics- something which I both understand AND have an interest in- and pray to god that I can make a living on this.

Swear to god, if I wasn't narcoleptic I'd do like my mom did and just drop out and join the Navy. At least they'd give me a practical education- none of this nimbly-pimbly theoretical horse shit.

The thing about compt sci is, I've been there, done that. Sure, I'm no guru, but I'm pretty competent as a programmer and in software design (I like the math behind it), but the concepts in CS are repetitive; you really don't learn anything mind-shatteringly new after your first year or two.

God I want to destroy something right now; I think braincells sound like a good idea since I'm apparently never going to use them for the rest of my life.

Bottle o' Absolut, here I come.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 14:50      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... given my experience in the IT world thus far (BS in Comp Sci and I've been working in IT-ish jobs since 1999 when I graduated), a CS degree has relatively little to do with your success in the working world. As long as you are a reasonably competent developer who can get stuff done under a deadline you could get a job. So if your CS advisor/department are crap, go for Physics. I don't think it will hurt you career-wise if you wanted an IT job (if you want a physics job, you're on your own-- I have no clue there) [Wink]

I enjoyed my CS program sometimes & some classes were utter crap. For instance the way they tried to "teach" me C++ was to show me an example program in Pascal and then the equivalent in C++. Did I actually get a C++ reference book? No! We just got a textbook on how object orientation works. So how the bleep was I supposed to learn C++ then, eh? That was 2nd semester freshman year-- I never really got a good grasp of C-ish languages until junior year when I was overseas for a semester, in a Unix environment, and learned about man pages. On the other hand some classes were really fun; not useful career wise to learn Assembly, but it was intellectually fun and the prof was good.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 14:55      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah this is why i might be doing a double mayor when i go to university just so that i can get both fields of the spectrum.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 01:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your diploma is just to get your foot in the door. It has no use beyond that. Really. depressed?

In other words do what you need to get a diploma that will get you a decent job and then spend the rest of the time in Uni learning about stuff that interests you.

Are you interested in latin? Don't major in it, major in something profitable, get the required courses and then spend all your extra credit hours in latin classes. (I know with many degrees there is no such thing as extra credit hours.)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 04:08      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
She also de-emphasized the importance of SQL in the class; learn the 'general idea', blah blah blah.

You're doing compsci, not programming. Computer Science is about the concepts, not about how to write an SQL database.

quote:
So I go to take the challenge test today (after having only a day to study for it), and I failed. Miserably. Wanna know why? Because I couldn't remember SQL.

I find it funny how, for all her attempts at de-emphasizing sql, it still made up like 90% of the test. I also find it interesting that they don't let me carry in my O'Reilley SQL pocket reference, since if I was writing code in the 'real world', as she puts it, I'd just google it or go the sqlzoo to find the solution. Afterwards, I told her that I failed and we sat down to talk about it, and the only message that came out of her mouth was, 'well, even if you know the general idea, we want you to seem like you have an education.'

The programming language isn't what matters for a course, it is just used to illustrate the principles covered. I did a course on functional programming, for which we used ML . I mean, what use is ML in the real world? And if I ever did need to use it, I'd like you said have manuals and gooooooogle and whatnot to look problems up in. Yet we had to learn the bits of ML we'd need for the exams. Like I said, compsci isn't the real world, it's about the ideas behind programming.

quote:
Woman, I've been recruited for jobs by people who knew I'm only a freshman in college, how much do you think that matters to them?
Jack shit. You may be a good programmer, but she's a waaaaaaay better compsci than you.

quote:
... Rant about functions and how dumb your lecturer is ...
Again, compsci != Real World.

quote:
I'm gonna piss on Comp Sci and switch over to physics- something which I both understand AND have an interest in- and pray to god that I can make a living on this.
Good luck with that [Smile] Doing something you enjoy is always easier - though may I recommend switching further to geology... [Wink]

quote:
you really don't learn anything mind-shatteringly new after your first year or two
Welcome to any university degree [Razz] After two years of physics, you won't really know anything new. Stick in there, it's the third year when the fun starts.
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 05:32      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
...I also find it interesting that they don't let me carry in my O'Reilley SQL pocket reference, since if I was writing code in the 'real world', as she puts it, I'd just google it or go the sqlzoo to find the solution...

A friend of mine, interviewing for a coding job, was asked about which algorithm he'd use to sort some data. He said it depended on what kind of data he expected to see, but he was going to have to hit reference books before he did anything. The interviewer said, "You know, that's what I'd do, too."

He got the job.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture