homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Goodbye, Old Friend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Goodbye, Old Friend
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted January 25, 2007 02:53      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you already know about it. For those of you who just do not understand, perhaps one day. This is what I posted on the petdiabetes mailing list:

Hi everyone,

I usually just lurk on the mailing list.

Background:
Finster, a male domestic short-hair cat, was diagnosed with diabetes
when he was 8 years old. Since then, he's been treated and was
stabilized on 5 units of Caninsulin twice a day.

Recently, I've noticed that he was losing some weight and his appetite
wasn't what it used to be. In late October, he weighed in at 12 pounds
(he was as heavy as 16 pounds at one point). In early December he was
down to about 9.6 pounds, was constipated and had a heart murmur. He
was given 2 enemas, some antibiotics and a few days worth of
painkillers. He also had some dental issues, but with the heart
murmur (it was high on the scale) he would have been at risk for any
dental procedure due to be put under anesthesia.

Fast forward to this week. Over the weekend, I noticed his waning
appetite again. I took him to the vet Monday night. Finster lost
another 2 pounds. He was about 7.6lbs. The vet did a urinalysis. It
seems that his kidneys were failing. He was constipated again. It
was time to think about what to do next. According to the vet, and I
agreed with him, anything we try to do for him now would just be a
patch. The patch would only last so long and then he would be back to
where he is now or worse. I said I would think about what to do next.

Last night, I tried to feed Finster some canned food as a treat. He
wouldn't touch it. At that point I knew what had to be done. As most
of you probably know, making this type of decision is very difficult.
I can already see how tired he was. He struggles to stay attentive
and be alert if I am around. I can see that he just wants to sleep.
He seems to strain a bit just to vocalize a little meow at me. I
think the worse is when he just sits there and looks at me. It's
almost as if he's trying to tell me something. Perhaps he's hoping
that I help him feel better.

So, I made the decision last night to take him to the vet this
morning. After deciding that, I had a terrible time trying to sleep.
Who wouldn't? So this morning, I brought Finster to the vet one last
time. I signed off on some papers and left Finster there after I
talked to the vet. I could not bear to watch him actually go. It was
already painful enough to have to bring him there.

Finster is now in a better place. He was 15 years old.

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 07:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty_________________We had to make the same type of choice on our old Siberian, she had bad cataracts (almost blind) Arthritis and dietary problems. After the second slip and fall down the stairs, I took her to the vet. yes she probaly had more time I was afraid she would get hurt on the stairs, I had already put carpet on the steps. Our Vet. offered a cremation service that we availed our selves of and have cast a marker in concrete for where the ashes are buried.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 10:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I have to commend you on doing the right thing.

While it might hurt and suck, you ended your cat's pain. Far too many people keep their animal alive longer than they reasonably should for their own selfish needs.

Take solace in the fact that your pet got to spend all those years with an owner who obviously cared about it, and treated it fairly, and celebrate his life for what it was.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 10:51      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just offering my condolences. I do not choose to live with fur-bearing animals right now because I'm an apartment-dweller, but I lived with my best friend for a while and I find that I miss her cat about as much as I miss her. Ending an animal companion's life is difficult. I have had to put down a few fish and it's been very hard (they do, too, have personalities).

I understand that fifteen years is a respectable life-span for a cat. It implies to me, without ever having met your cat, that he did indeed live in a healty and loving home. You should be proud that you were able to keep him so long with diabetes (not that pride can mitigate your sense of loss). Though I do not know you, please accept my warm hippy cyber-hug. (Not the stinky kind, I belong to the subset of hippies that doesn't smell funny.)

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted January 25, 2007 11:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooK, I'm really sorry about your loss. [Frown]

It's something I've had to do several times, it is a heartbreaking decision to have to make.

/me forms an honour guard for Finster...

To fifteen fine feline years! [Happytears]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 11:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but you did the right thing. Kidney failure is a very slow and very painful way to go. [Frown]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 12:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty

It is obvious how much you thought of Finster - those decisions are never easy, but you made the right choice.

When he was too tired to carry on, you ended his fight with his failing body. It was a kindness.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 12:13      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for you, BBK. Mrs. Club's childhood cat is diabetic and in about the same boat right now. He had been living with my sis-in-law for about ten years or so, but we took him last spring due to my nephew's cat allergies. Late summer he appeared to be losing weight, and decided the back half of the basement made a better litter box than the actual box. I've never seen a cat crap so much. I think more comes out than goes in somehow. He also became fond of whizzing on anything made of cotton that we forgot to pick up from the laundry room or bathroom floor. And if we remembered to pick everything up (keep in mind there are two kids dropping dirty clothes wherever the please) he peed on the basement floor.

Last week Mrs. Club's grandmother took him off our hands because she said she doesn't care if he poops all over her basement floor, which is dirt anyway. He seems to be happy as a clam, but he can't feel all that great.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 18:16      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww **hugs**

I can't imagine my kitty dying. She lives with my mom right now and I don't get to see her much. She's also 15.

Here's my most recent pic of my kittie, Amokie:

-

Do you have any photos of your cat?

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 18:22      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my Flickr set of the cats.

I took a few more of Finster on Monday but have not uploaded them yet...

dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted January 25, 2007 18:47      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terribly sorry for your loss [Frown] Your Finster looks just like my Toby, right down to the habit of lying on his back with his belly in the air. My two are only 5 and 3 now, (Toby is the older one) I already can't imagine not having them around, even when Toby does make me crazy by scratching on things at 4:00 AM (playtime), and Bruiser steps on us in the middle of the night. [Frown]
Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 18:59      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll add my condolences. I think it was Heinlein who said, 'When the need arises and it does you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse.'

At least you didn't have to pull the trigger. It's tough losing pets; I've held many a cavie while they took their last breaths. It's even tougher having to make the decision yourself, but in the end take solace in knowing you did the right thing.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 01:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My condolences.

I know how you feel, a few months ago I had to take Patch, the beloved Druid-hound, to the vet for his 'final appointment'. I lifted him onto the examination table, held him as the vet administered the injection, and patted him until he was gone.

It was heartbreaking, but it had to be done.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 06:20      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry for your loss BBK. We just had a kitty die recently too, though we're not sure why. Dee was one of our barn cats, and we brought her in the house for her last few weeks. Perhaps she and Finster are sleeping in a warm spot together now.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 07:41      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad happenings, BBK. I'm sorry for your loss. Now go out and find a kitten or cat to adopt. Your friend Finster will certainly understand and commend your actions. [thumbsup]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 08:08      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG: I've still 2 furballs that I've inherited from my ex. The blue-point Siamese (aka Blue Sh*t) seems to be very clingy and in need of extra affection. He knows that something is amiss and missing...
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 08:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 16:46      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
Here's my Flickr set of the cats.

I took a few more of Finster on Monday but have not uploaded them yet...

Neat-looking cats!
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 19:13      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
Some of you already know about it. For those of you who just do not understand, perhaps one day.

I do understand, and you have my deepest sympathies. I've had to make that decision with numerous pets (dogs, guinea pigs, even turtles) and though it is never easy, there is consolation in knowing that you found the courage for one final expression of love -- to release him from his pain by letting him go. I have every reason to believe that, where he is now, he understands and he thanks you.

May your grief be eased by the memories of 15 well-lived, and loved, years together.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 15:27      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add my sympathies. It's always hard to lose a friend, even a non-human one. I remember the day we had to put our dog Bess to sleep. She had always been so healthy, and then old age finally caught up with her and she got sicker and sicker. As a rambunctious outdoor dog we couldn't bear to see her get so weak and sick she could barely stand and there wasn't anything we could do for her other than to end her suffering quickly and humanely. I still miss her and it makes me sad to remember that day, but I also remember all the laughter, fun & happiness she brought me. It's a very hard choice but for us, too, it was the right one.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture