homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Are you a web celebrity? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Are you a web celebrity?
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 10:37      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
There are only two people on the Web with my name, and quite possibly we're the only two in the world. All results that have anything to do with school sports belong to the other kid. The rest are all me.

Replace "school sports" with "movies" and you've described my situation as well [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 10:38      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My real name without quotes gets more pages of results than I cared to sift through. I had a few hits on the first few pages, including the top three (woohoo!). I even got a tip published in MacinTouch, apparently, and it actually helped someone out. Yay!

With quotes I get a page with six results, all me. My name is likely unique, at least for now.

A search on "ugh mightyclub" (no uotes) yields only three pages, almost all Geek Culture related, and mostly apparently people scraping the GC TidBits list into their blog.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 10:38      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just googled my GC nick. Apparantly I'm some guy in England's girlfriend. [Eek!]

http://www.talklfc.com/forums/index.php?s=e5a3d8fd9765c067f46af263641c136d&showtopic=3670&st=15&p=620771&#entry620771

Edit:

And it looks like my picture here was used as an example of geek girls.

http://www.kirupa.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-196566.html (toward the bottom in a post by eurosickwitit)

It is really hard to read their writing, so I'm not sure if that one is complimentary or not. :/

After looking through a few more pages, it seems like my GC picture is being used all over the place as an example of a fat, ugly, nerd girl. [weep] [Frown]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 10:59      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I web searched my first name and surname in the mid-90's, I was the predominant return on the first 2 pages, including a couple of very primative web sites I had at the time.

In 2007 a Google Search of first and last name will return nearly half a million listings and I have not yet found myself among them. If you add my middle initial and use quotes, the number of returns drops to a more manageable 563 and I'm on the first several pages. Some of my writings were published in the 1970's and 1980's (while I was in my 20's and 30's) but none of those are indexed.

A man in the Seattle area who shares my same name is a current and active author and illustrator of children's books and is evidently quite popular and successful.

I have a very common surname and a somewhat common first name.

A search on my GC nick returns comments here at GC Forums.

[ohwell]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 12:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I googled my real name. First page is all me, mostly my publications, but also some stuff from my undergrad days. I didn't look past that first page though. My real first name isn't super common, but it's not super rare either - it's just one of those names that people have been using for centuries and never really disappears. My last name is a bit rare, in the US at least.

My nick results in lots of science sites (considering I named myself after a molecule...), but, on the second page, I discovered there's some chick on Vampire Freaks who also calls herself Xanthine. And here I thought I was so original. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 12:49      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooh, fabulous...

I am apparently:

- A Photographer
- A real estate agent (this guy even has my middle initial)
- A cross country team member for the river city rebels
- An applications engineer (I wish)
- An AIDS activist in San Francisco

I am a blip on the internet, and I think I'm ok with that.

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 12:59      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I just googled my GC nick. Apparantly I'm some guy in England's girlfriend. [Eek!]

http://www.talklfc.com/forums/index.php?s=e5a3d8fd9765c067f46af263641c136d&showtopic=3670&st=15&p=620771&#entry620771

Edit:

http://www.kirupa.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-196566.html (toward the bottom in a post by eurosickwitit)

It is really hard to read their writing, so I'm not sure if that one is complimentary or not. :/

After looking through a few more pages, it seems like my GC picture is being used all over the place as an example of a fat, ugly, nerd girl. [weep] [Frown]

(((hugs))) I don't think any of us feel that way, Peebs. That one guy is really stupid...doesn't get the binary shirt... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 16, 2007 13:07      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs, those jerks could never in a million years even hope to get a woman as beautiful, intelligent, and loving as you.

You rock, and you're hot. [thumbsup]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 16, 2007 13:39      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, apart from every GC members, I am sure there are at least two persons who will beg to differ on that opinion, and they are the people the most important to you. Because some never grew out of high school mentality doesn't mean the whole world is stupid. [Wink] So who's opinion will you trust? To he** with those jocks, and continue to be our very own TMBWITW,PB! [thumbsup]

(Oh, and I'm a nobody on the Web. Googling my full name with quotes still gives me a last on second page ranking. Sharing my name with an important MD in France doesn't help. As for my nickname, I only get sales pitches!)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 13:54      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PB, I think it's cause you come up near the top of a Google image search for "geek girl". Which, IMO, is pretty cool.

EDIT: slightly NSFW. Sorry BW. [blush]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 14:01      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
PB, I think it's cause you come up near the top of a Google image search for "geek girl". Which, IMO, is pretty cool.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] Whoops! Moderate safe search off at work is dangerous!
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 14 posted January 16, 2007 14:26      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody!
Wow! This topic has become a very popular one, considering I'm a newbie, so I would like to thank you all.
I also want to share my fictional persona:
1. I'm a singer from Cali, Colombia
2. I'm a composer from Bogota, Colombia
3. I helped in the creation of the colombian constitution of 1991
4. I study in the University of Medellin.
My real person starts on the second page

And PB, don't be upset, I know you're a prominent figure in GC and shouldn't care about those silly comments people who don't know you make [Wink]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 14:35      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:

Really? OMG, that is cool!

I know not to take it personally when people make rude comments online, but for some reason this time it really hit me. After translating a couple of the foreign forums that were using it (crazy, it was on sites in French, German, and some Nordic? language I didn't recognize) there were more people who thought that the joke on my shirt was funny.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 14:43      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anybody else notice Mel down on the second row?
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 17:33      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Edit:

You're neither fat nor ugly, and I assume you take nerd as a compliment [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 18:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Peebs is hot too!

-

I hope these flowers cheer you up Peebs. The Daisy is the geek of the flower world IMNSHO.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 18:48      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww. You're too sweet, Cap'n Vic. [hearts]

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 18:56      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh great, now I live in England.

[Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 3 posted January 16, 2007 18:57      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again!
I also searched with my generic nickname (juanchito2006) and there are IRC archives of Ubuntu and formums from Opera, Google Answers, and Mathlinks, all from me.
You can see how many problems I had with Ubuntu. [Razz]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2007 19:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs, it seems to me that the closest those guys get to getting laid is changing up their hands once in a while. You have a husband and kid who adore you, and you're not fat and ugly. So ignore their moronic asses and keep on geekin'.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 00:38      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This would be where I come in and say that to me, you've always been the most physically attractive girl on GC. Bar none. [blush]

Hmm, maybe that should have been in the Confession Booth...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 06:07      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you Google my username here, there are lots of people who're not me, but I show up in the first couple pages.

If you Google my Slashdot ID (Single GNU Theory), you get four pages of me. That was fun, because I didn't remember getting two articles onto Slashdot's front page, and I made a list of someone's favorite Slashdot signatures. w00t! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 08:13      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Peebs, it seems to me that the closest those guys get to getting laid is changing up their hands once in a while. You have a husband and kid who adore you, and you're not fat and ugly. So ignore their moronic asses and keep on geekin'.

Don't be so hard on them Xanthine, they're clearly visually impaired. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 08:37      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my real-person name, I'm a Chinese ophthalmologist.

The search results for my handle should be obvious:
 -

[Big Grin]

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2007 09:38      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name with quotes brings back about 300 results. They're all definitely me since I'm the *only* person with my name.

Mostly mailing list posts...yay me. [Razz]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture