homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Do you follow the stars? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you follow the stars?
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 20:52      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just curious:

Does anyone here ever check their horoscope?

Whatever your answer, what is your take on astrology in general?

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 21:03      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pish posh and crackery! [Applause]

Bad Astronomy

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 00:39      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, a horoscope is designed to play on the peoples' ignorance and want to feel special. Two points:

- How can a 12th of the worlds population all have the same day?
- I did an exercise with a "standard" horoscope and gave it to various friends and family having added their star-sign to the top of it. Almost all of them agreed that it fit their day.

Of course, the personalised ones may be different. I've never had one done.

Anyways, we all know that the effect of stars goes as r^-2, so we should just base horoscopes on the sun, and perhaps Proxima Centuri [Razz]

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 04:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and here I thought someone was actually talking about last night's comet! [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 04:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never_ask_why333__________________Yup I have two tracking radio emmission dishes that I look for ET with.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 09:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by never_ask_why333:
I was just curious:

Does anyone here ever check their horoscope?

Not I.

It's something that vampires and sanguinarians need keep an eye on, I suspect. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 09:29      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I followed my horoscope daily when I was in grade school & middle school back when "hey baby what's your sign?" was big. I also wore a "Mood Ring" and carried a "Lucky" rabbit's foot [blush] [crazy]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 09:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Err... it is a big pile of stinking horse-shit. It has about as much basis in reality as claims of Dick Cheney's integrity.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted January 11, 2007 10:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flamebait

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 10:20      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never really saw any particular reason why I should trust astrology. The predictions are usually about as specific as your average fortune cookie, and the personality stuff I've seen has just been wrong about me.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 10:29      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Flamebait

I'm  - whatever.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 10:46      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Flamebait

I'm  - whatever.
I was speaking to the original post and not you. It is the only reason I can think that someone would post such a topic on a geek website. Excuse me for being an insensitive clod if I am wrong. Are there any astrology geeks here?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 10:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apple-ohggies.

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 13:10      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It is the only reason I can think that someone would post such a topic on a geek website.

bored 16 year old female.
there's your reason.

I used to love that stuff too. Its fun to think about and fun to giggle about with your girlfriends when your crush's sign goes with yours or whatever, but theres not much truth in it.

besides, all the constellations have shifted around since astrology was originally contrived, so even if were accurate then (probably not) its certainly not accurate now.

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 14:20      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are all following the stars. The government wouldn't like you to believe it but the orbit of the planets and stars is actually not an orbit, it more so resembles a bunch of people chasing each other about frantically hoping that one of the other people that they start following will lead them on the correct path.

The correct path is determined by a magnetism that is not presently perceivable by most humans, but basically over a very small expanse of time we are making quantum leaps inside of an atom of another atom and some one just spit on the ground because they had a piece of dirt in their mouth and our whole universe and everything is confined within a single, subsubsubsubatomic, super tiny compressed, mega duper condensed speck in that dirt.

And ultimately, it all comes around to you again, and this is the value of instance.

The time it takes to pass from one of these planes to the next, conciously, while subjective, is an invaluable tool in levitation, and power control.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 14:30      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...ok...time to pass the cosmic bong on to the next person

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 14:35      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what's freaky? Tarot card readings!!! Anyone played with those before?
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 14:58      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bollocks!

Have you ever tried divining the future from entrails?

Why don't the crusties try to find the future by killing cuddly animals these days? it's OK to divine the future by looking at the stars or the rings in coconut bark, but investigating the predictive qualities of a goats digestive tract is barbaric?

Stick it up your arse hippies! you can't tell the future.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 15:18      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Why don't the crusties try to find the future by killing cuddly animals these days?

Mostly I think because we don't kill our own chickens for dinner anymore.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 16:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only star I follow isn't in the sky... (she's usually only ever about twenty feet ahead of me, shimmering in luscious cloud of infra-red-goggle green).

--------------------

never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 17:02      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
quote:
It is the only reason I can think that someone would post such a topic on a geek website.

there's your reason.

I used to love that stuff too. Its fun to think about and fun to giggle about with your girlfriends when your crush's sign goes with yours or whatever, but theres not much truth in it.

besides, all the constellations have shifted around since astrology was originally contrived, so even if were accurate then (probably not) its certainly not accurate now.

Close. I am a 16 year old female, and I do get bored.
But this is definately not flamebait. How about this- instead of people guessing my intentions, how about I just tell you? Seems like a great way to avoid confrontations to me.
My intentions on this post: I was curious. Duly noted, this is a geek web site. Some people have think astrology is crock-and-bull, others think that it is based on science. I was curious to see what the higher class minds- the scientists themselves, had to say about it.
Simply stated.
But honestly, it irks me that people on this site try and second guess my 'motives', as if it is my secret mission to stir things up, or something. But it is indeed not the case. May seem like it, but I would appreciate it if you were to ask me before you go out and accuse me (or heck, anyone else). Just doesn't seem proper. Actually, I would define it as being ignornant. And I am not flaming you, Ashitaka, I am saying in general.

GG- You never are going to let the sang/vamp thig go, are you? [Big Grin]

Mel- YES! I love tarot cards! My friends mother does that as part of her profession. I was amazed at how accurate they are! Had I drawn any other cards from tehe deck, it would have made the reading untrue! Anyway, I was so amazed by them, that I got my own deck, and my friend's mother has coached me on how to do readings. Now its like a hobby; I do it for people all the time. And they too are astounded. They say they are always 100% right, and if any other cards had been drawn, it would have made it untrue. Now I can fully understand the arguments over horoscopes and stuff, but there are just too many coincidences with tarot cards...

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 20:16      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

GG- You never are going to let the sang/vamp thig go, are you? [Big Grin]

No! Never...

Have you? [Eek!]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 03:37      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Flamebait

I'm  - whatever.
Are there any astrology geeks here?
The OP, perhaps.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 05:55      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tarot cards are interesting. I don't put any stake in them, of course, but they're fun to play around with.

I was toying around with the idea of learning how to cast a fortune and then drawing my own cards- using family members for the trumps major. I can think of many family members that embody the various aspects, so I thought it would be a cool idea. Obviously, I took the idea from Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber- an excellent read, which I recommend for any sci-fi/fantasy geeks here.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 06:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
quote:

there's your reason.

Close. I am a 16 year old female, and I do get bored.
But this is definately not flamebait. How about this- instead of people guessing my intentions, how about I just tell you? Seems like a great way to avoid confrontations to me.
My intentions on this post: I was curious. Duly noted, this is a geek web site. Some people have think astrology is crock-and-bull, others think that it is based on science. I was curious to see what the higher class minds- the scientists themselves, had to say about it.
Simply stated.
But honestly, it irks me that people on this site try and second guess my 'motives', as if it is my secret mission to stir things up, or something. But it is indeed not the case. May seem like it, but I would appreciate it if you were to ask me before you go out and accuse me (or heck, anyone else). Just doesn't seem proper. Actually, I would define it as being ignornant. And I am not flaming you, Ashitaka, I am saying in general.

I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion, I guess I just cannot believe that you would not know the reactions here to your post. It is as if someone asked on the fox news website posted asking what thier opinions on the GOP were, and then claimed they had no idea what the answers would be. What would you think of this person? Some things can be predicted.

As for my part of me claiming you were inciting knee jerk reaction posts for attention, I am sorry.

The point is, in predicting the future, one must use past reference to determine what will happen and not something that is determined by random chance and probibility. If you want to predict what will happen when you hold a match to gasoline, one should look to the past in reference to what has occured in similar circumstances. One should not draw cards or roll dice to determine what will happen. This logic should be applied to even more complex situations such as relationships even though not all the variables could ever be known. If you want to know if the man you met last night is mister right, you should look to the past to see how relationships with men with personalities similar to him went well.(if you have this information) Looking to see if your signs are compatible has no effect on the relationship unless you make the prediction self fulfilling by believing in that hocus pocus.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture