homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The best-written song ever

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The best-written song ever
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 15:20      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was cleaning up my files and found this translation I did of the brazilian Legiao Urbana's song, "faroeste caboclo" (Bohemian Western), and listening to it again, only Tracy Chapman's fast car can come close to it. My translation lost much of the singer Renato Russo's 9-minute life-covering epic, but the overall meaning is there, here's the song-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLqM1aenhbI&mode=related&search=

Here's the translation

BOHEMIAN WESTERN

-There goes the fearless Joćo de Santo Cristo, was what everyone said when he went astray
Left behind the hovel of his farm, only to feel in his blood hatred that Jesus gave
When small all he wanted to be was a bandit, more when a soldier's double shot did his father in
Was the terror of the shanty town where he lived, Even his teachers learned a lesson with him

He went to church only to rob money that the old ladies would donate
Felt that things should be different, that there just wasn't his place

He wanted to go out to the sea, and other things he saw on the tv at home,
Saved a bit of money to go away, and chose his path, chose to be alone.

He sampled every girl in the city, playing doctor so that by twelve a "professor" he became
At fifteen he was sent to the reformatory where, his hate grew stronger seeing such terror and shame.

Couldnt understand how life worked, why people judged him by his colour and his class
Gave up on finding out the answer, and for Salvador he booked a boarding pass

When he arrived he sat down, drank some coffee, saw an old cowboy who happened to be about
The cowboy had a ticket, yet was unable to go, so Joćo de Santo Cristo decided to help him out

He said - Im going to Brasilia, There's no more greater city made by the human race!
I need to send a message to my daughter, I cant go, I'll stay here, could you take my place?

Joćo de Santo Cristo accepted, and the bus entered the center and so ended his ride
Started crying at the beauty of this city when exiting the station, he saw the christmas decorations outside.
My god what a beautiful city... at New Year's eve I'll start working hard..
Cutting wood as a carpenter's apprentice, he earned a hundred monthly in Taguantinga...

Come friday there he was in the city zone, having fun kissing his hard earned cash good-bye
Got to know many interesting people, even a bastard nephew of his grandfather's uncle's side;

A Peruvian who lived in Bolivia, and smuggled many things from there after dark
His name was Pablo, he said, that with Joćo there was a business he'd like to start.
Joćo said no and worked harder, but with time his salary wasn't even enough to feed himself
Yet every night at seven he saw on the tv, his minister promising for the thousandth time he'd help

Wanting no more worthless talk, he decided that like Pablo he would survive
Then he elaborated his saintly plans, without cruxification his plantation started to thrive.

Soon and soon the crazies of the city, heard the news - There's some good stuff about!
And Joćo de Santo Cristo became rich, finished with all the other trafficants and threw them out

Made friends in Asa Norte, Went to evert rock concert to set himself free
Suddenly under the influence of friends, he started going on a robbing spree...

Alas, at first try he got screwed, and into prison's hell he was to fall
Violence and rape upon his body, - Just wait and see, I'LL KILL YOU ALL

AND NOW SANTO CRISTO WAS, THE BANDIT HATED AND FEARED BY ALL IN THE CAPITAL!!!!
NOTHING COULD STOP HIM, POLICEMEN, CAPTAINS, TRAFFICANTS, PLAYBOYS AND ANY GENERAL!!!

Was when he met a girl, and he regreted every sin that he'd done in the past
Maria Lścia was beautiful, and in her hands he laid his heart to rest...
He said he wanted to marry her, and a carpenter he became again,
Maria Lścia I will always love you, and with you I'll have a son some day.

TIME PASSES AND ONE DAY ON HIS DOORWAY, A GENTLEMAN OF THE UPPER CLASS HOLDS A CASE AND A MILLION WITHIN.
AND HE PROPOSES, SOMETHING HORRIBLE, SAYS HE WANTS JOĆO TO WORK FOR HIM.

-I WONT PLACE A BOMB IN NO NEWSAGENT'S, CHILDREN'S SCHOOL OR WHEREVER IT MAY BE...
I WONT WORK FOR A CORRUPT GENERAL, PICK UP YOUR TEN STARS, GET YOUR ASS OUT OF MY PROPERTY!!!

-AND NEVER COME BACK, OR THIS SCORPION WILL STING, NOW RUN!
BUT BEFORE LEAVING, THE OLD MAN GAVE HIM A LOOK OF HATRED
AND SAID - YOU JUST THREW AWAY YOUR LIFE MY SON!

-You threw your life away my son.... you just threw your life away my son,
these word burned his heart, I'll accept whatever consequences that may come...
With his future uncertain... He disappeared, hid himself and his face,
started drinking and drinking, when he saw that at the job someone had taken his place.

So he called Pablo as his partner, told him that he had money and wanted a gun,
now Pablo would bring contraband, and Santo Cristo would sell it in Planaltina at once.

THEN SOME GUY NAMED JEREMIAS, A FAMOUS DRUG DEALER APPEARED AROUND!
FOUND OUT ABOUT SANTO CRISTO'S PLANS, AND DECIDED THAT HE'D DRIVE HIM OUT OF TOWN!!

But Pablo brought a Winchester 22 and Santo Cristo had trained his aim well
Only used the gun after Jeremias decided to raise hell

JEREMIAS THE SHAMELESS POTHEAD, ORGANIZED A DRUG BUST AND EVERYONE RAN AWAY!
WHILE DEVOURING VIRGINS AFTER VIRGINS, YET HE WORSHIPPED GOD AND WOULD REPENT ANYDAY..

And Santo Cristo, tired of it all, decided to surrender and return to the girl whose heart he gave
- I'll go and see Maria Lścia, And well leave and get married in May

Arriving at home and into a trap, he cried as again to prision's Hell he fell
And to Jeremias, Maria Lścia gave her hand and had his kid as well.

SANTO CRISTO WAS PURE HATRED, HE CHALLENGED JEREMIAS TO A DUEL, WHERE-
TOMORROW AT TWO IN CEILĀNDIA, IN FRONT OF LOT FOURTEEN, I'LL BE WAITING THERE

CHOOSE YOUR WEAPONS AND I WILL CHOOSE MINE, AND I'LL FINISH YOU, PIG OF A TRAITOR!!!!
I'LL ALSO KILL MARIA LŚCIA, THAT FALSE BITCH TO WHOM I SWORE MY LOVE!!!

And Joćo de Santo Cristo didn't know, what to do as his name was being spoken by some tv guy,
The duel made prime news, everyone discussed the hours, the time and the reason why!

COME SATURDAY, TWO OCLOCK, THE PEOPLE WHO CROWDED AROUND AWHILE
SAW A MAN SHOOT FROM BEHIND, HIT SANTO CRISTO, AND STARTED TO SMILE..

HE FELT HIS BLOOD IN HIS THROAT, JOĆO SAW THE LIGHTS AND THE CROWD CLAPPING HANDS...
LOOKED AT THE ICE CREAM BOYS, AND REPORTERS FILMING THEIR DEADLY DANCE.

He remembered the days when he was young, all he did in life and held dear...
And he stepped into that violent dance, - If my deth is to be in this circus well Im here!
The sun stopped blinding his eyes, and he recognized Maria Lucia who he loved
She was bringing him his Winchester 22, the weapon Pablo gave him, held above

-Jeremias, unlike you I'm a real man, I don't need to shoot behind your back to win this bout...
Come look here feel my blood, you uneducated son of a bitch, feel my forgiveness now!
Joćo de Santo Cristo with his Winchester 22 shot five holes in the bandit traitor
And Maria Lścia begged for forgiveness later, and died together with the man who gave his heart to her.

The people declared that Joćo de Santo Cristo was a Saint because he knew how to die...
and the high class bourguese of the city didnt believe the story that was passing on the tv before their eyes...

And so Joćo de Santo Cristo didn't realize his biggest dream in the capital, time after time again.
He just wanted to talk with the president, ask him to help his people who just live to...suffer...

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture