homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Why having only bluetooth keyboard and mouse is bad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why having only bluetooth keyboard and mouse is bad
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted December 28, 2006 06:33      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was playing Civ IV a couple of nights ago, and my Mac started slowing down. I quit it, and went to bed. The next morning, on waking my computer, it was a total slug. After trying to restart the finder (took many minutes to complete), I forced a restart, and got a message asking for confirmation (I'm not quite sure, as I pretty much overlooked it, but I think it said there was one person connected - me, or someone who hacked in it within the few days I wasn't there?). Anyway, that forced reboot probably corrupted my system, as my Mac wouldn't start anymore.

I tried ejecting the Civ IV CD to insert a system disk, I tried zapping the PRAM - nothing would work. Then I remembered: my keyboard and mouse are bluetooth, and require the driver to boot up for the computer to recognize the input. As it froze early, well, guess what? I had no input peripherial any more.

So yesterday I went to Best Buy for a USB keyboard (a MS one! [Eek!] that's the only one they had that was USB and not overloaded with options that throw the price through the roof), and tonight, I'm getting a USB mouse too (as disk ejection on start-up is pressing the mouse button down).

So I have been without my dear computer for two days in a row. Fortunately, I now have Internet back at work, so I could dig the little start-up troubleshooting tricks I need to solve this.

So if you use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, still keep a USB one in the house, just in case!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 08:09      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont know too much on MS keyboards, but MS mice SUCK. Everyone ive had goes bad. Then again, most were PS2 type, not usb (but I think one ive got now is USB and its going bad...)

There wernt any logitech keyboards?? They are normally reliable and cheep.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 08:44      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they had some. Cordless (won't do!) or full multimedia costing mucho pesos and not Mac compatible (ok, probably only the extra weren't, but why pay for something you can't use anyway?). Maybe I should have waited or gone to the only place I know they sell Macs, but I wasn't sure they were open, and the traffic/parking can be hard, while it's easy to go with public transit (I use the bus to go to and from work, so I just have to take a detour in order to get there).

But as it's going to be unplugged most of the time (used only when my Mac goes bad, and it's only the first time in two years or so), I don't mind it too much. The only thing is, it doesn't have a USB hub as the Apple keyboard do, so I'll have to use my Mac's both USB ports.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 11:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mice suck! :P All mice seem to break for some reason -- either the buttons lose their click, the rollers stop gripping, or the spring in the third roller goes. I've always found Microsoft mice the most comfortable and while they, too, seem to wear out (and perhaps faster than some other brands), the MS mouse on my StarMax is still in great condition (it's like an Intellimouse in shape but has no wheel). The Intellimouse on my PC is pretty knackered and needs replacing but generally works well enough. I have a whole stash of worn out mice in the cupboard.

Optical mice are supposed to solve all of this, but I find those the least reliable of the lot. If you can get one that doesn't routinely send spurious co-ordinates, you're in luck. Now, I may have to agree with you that Logitech mice do seem to be pretty good at that: either they have better sensor hardware/software, or an algorithm that catches and blocks transmission of random co-ordinates. Most other optical mice -- including Apple's Pro Mice in the past -- tend to throw the cursor around the screen wildly and it's extremely frustrating.

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 11:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please please please please please post a photo of your Mac attached to a MS keyboard and mouse.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 11:52      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Please please please please please post a photo of your Mac attached to a MS keyboard and mouse.

Filthy pervert! [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 11:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Hey...I'm using a Dell QuietKey (PS/2 w/USB gizmo) and an MS Wireless Optical mouse on my Mini. Both work just fine! They also had the serious advantage of being free (though the USB gizmo cost about $5). M$ makes crappy OSes, but pretty alright hardware, IMHO. And at work...I have an Apple Pro Keyboard (the good one, not the new cheap wedge crap) plugged into my Dell.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 12:03      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Sorry, it won't happen any time soon. I want a silent violin more than a camera (be it standard + scanner, or digital). So it'll have to wait.

But I can tell you it's ugly. That black cheapo plastic thing with a hint of simili-design just doesn't go well with the nice, sleek, white G5 iMac. I just want to solve my start-up problem so I can put it out of sight in some drawer. (Plus, my desk needs some serious clean-up.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 12:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I could take a photo of my Mac except, well, it looks as much like a PC as the mouse looks like a PC mouse :) That said, it's a very elegant little desktop case, and easy to take apart and reassemble. One of the nicest cases around to look at, but a bit cramped inside.

The iMac is more annoying -- I don't have any Mac OS 9 drivers for the mouse on that (four button Logitech optical) so when I boot into 9, suddenly right-click doesn't work any more (whereas I have a right button ADB and PS/2 driver on the StarMax). The scroll wheel also does nothing (I don't have one on the StarMax's mouse so I needn't worry).

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 12:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
That black cheapo plastic thing with a hint of simili-design just doesn't go well with the nice, sleek, white G5 iMac.

You mean you would rather have an all white simili-design?

I loathe all of the Apple periphials. And the bluetooth mice are absolute shite. Seems like the one on the G5 won't respond during boot. I resorted to an M$ mouse when I was doing the file recovery a while ago.

But as far as the bluetooth goes, I feel it is a total dog. I prefer to use wired mice and keyboards.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 16:44      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't stand having a one-button mouse. [cry baby] I just had to have a two-button mouse at least (one of my Windows holdovers).

I got a special mousepad for my Logitech optical mouse so it does not suffer from random coordinates. I found that regular plastic pads cause this trouble, or if you don't use a pad at all. I like the Logitech mouse because it has right-click (which I don't think works in Classic).

My roomate has a Bluetooth keyboard and is always having trouble with it (won't recognize, baterries low, etc.). He used to have a Bluetooth mouse but that was even more trouble. He now has a mouse/mousepad combination (the pad is wired) where the mouse runs by induction. It is really cool. And it only cost $25. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 21:25      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah i don't know what some of u guys are complaing about over microsoft mice. I think its one thing they might have actually done right. My microsoft mice has been going strong for over a year now. The only problem is the amount of grime it collects on the little pads.

Stereo why did u buy a mice and keyboard you could have just gone to the nearest dump or if u are lucky a computer recyling plant.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 01:47            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tominfla: Something like USB Overdrive will do the trick if you want enhanced mouse support in Mac OS 8 and 9 and the Classic environment.
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 08:23      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
Stereo why did u buy a mice and keyboard you could have just gone to the nearest dump or if u are lucky a computer recyling plant.

I have a regular job, those things are cheap, and I didn't want to waste time finding and reaching such a place just to find they are closed when my day's work is done. "Free" when it takes a couple of hours and more fuel than just buying them is just another way to waste money (and time).

BTW, I have now reverted to my bluetooth ones. [Big Grin] (I just have lost about everything, as the most recent back-up I could find was in 1994 and my licences' mailbox was on my non-dot.mac account, but I take it as an incentive to waste less time playing on my computer and use it more effectively cleaning up, exercising/DDRing and doing other constructive tasks. Yeah, I'm a positive-thinking person.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 14 posted January 04, 2007 19:01      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So if you use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, still keep a USB one in the house, just in case!

Yes Stereo, I agree. That is excellent advice.

I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for my Mac and have learned once it doesn't work, then you're out of luck.

Fortunately, this keyboard and mouse are replacements for corded versions, so what it takes is a bit of a rummage through the closet.

Bluetooth is convenient. I don't get wires caught in my sliding keyboard tray anymore. But both are a bit unresponsive, and the mouse is heavy.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 17:56      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And if you're using a PC, keep a PS2 one in case. I was building a new PC for a media server (An AMD AM2 dual core system so fairly cutting edge), and the BIOS setup stage completely refused to recognise a USB wireless keyboard, I had to drag out a PS2 one...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 19:06      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I tell you all a little secret?

Come in a little closer.

Shhh..

Microsoft Mice are manufactured by Logitech.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 19:37      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Microsoft Mice are manufactured by Logitech.

LOL! I knew it was a racket!

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture