homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » That's "Laird Druid" to you... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: That's "Laird Druid" to you...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 17:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother-in-law bought me a square foot of land in the highlands for xmas. It's between Loch Treig and Loch Laggan, close to the commando school where my Uncle David spent a lot of his time during WWII, and just down the road from Clan McDruid's ancestral stamping-grounds in Glen Shee.

According to the information pack that came with my 'Title Deed', this makes me a 'Laird'.

I shall expect a suitably deferential tone from you all from now on.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 18:10      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, only about 60 some people need to die for my family to have a shot at being clan chief. LOL So I only have to bow for a while. [Smile]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 18:14      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah like i'm going to call you that druid.

But i would like to know what you are going to be doing with a square foot of land ?

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 23:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All it would take is one cow and a good shot and your enitire ancestoral homestead would be covered in manuere, Laird.

Would than then make you Laird of the flies?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 23:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Would than then make you Laird of the flies?

I prefer 'Laird of DunCoo'. [Wink]

[edit]
explanation for non-scots...

Dun : common prefix in Scottish place names, denotes a castle or fortified town.

Coo : Scots promounciation of 'cow'

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 05:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous 'Laird' Druid_____________________Well Sire. I must confess My great grand mother was a titled lady in Scotland, She some how got her hands on part of her money and ran off to America with her soon to wed Irish tinker. So that and a Dollar will buy me a cup of coffee.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 05:39      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you call a Laird dressed in a kilt, on Princes Street at Hogmanay?

A tourist.

Remember, it's shite being Scottish

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 07:50      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So now you're moving from merely Famous into the path of royalty?

Having noticed that your combination of ethnicity and geography often have you "taking the piss", I humbly suggest "DunWeed" as the place name. (The number of punnable combinations arising therefrom is fascinating, BTW.) Either that, or some derivation of a line or two from Burns' ode To A Mouse.

In any event, congratulations on your landed status, Your Druidness. [thumbsup]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 12:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Having noticed that your combination of ethnicity and geography often have you "taking the piss", I humbly suggest "DunWeed" as the place name. (The number of punnable combinations arising therefrom is fascinating, BTW.)

Whatever name I settle on, rest assured there'll be a pun in there somewhere [Wink] .

quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
My great grand mother was a titled lady in Scotland, She some how got her hands on part of her money and ran off to America with her soon to wed Irish tinker. So that and a Dollar will buy me a cup of coffee.

Where can you buy a coffee for a dollar?
Must be shite coffee. [Wink]

Everyone seems to have a story like that, one of my ancestors was the son of a Glasgow industrialist who "married beneath his station" and was disinherited. Mrs Druid's mother (a family tree geek) traced her ancestry back to an Irish lord who took the losing side against Cromwell, and lost everything.

quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Remember, it's shite being Scottish

That little rant is my favourite quote from Trainspotting.

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 12:04      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, your Laird-ness [Smile] (Your Laird-ship???)

Would you like me to nip over the border and put a fence round your new territory to keep it safe until your triumphant return? ....or maybe I could drop an old Jimmy Shand LP on the hallowed spot as a beacon to guide you? [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 12:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELL ALL_____________________Here near me we have gas stations, not unlike your petrol stations that have junk food and coffee for sale. I have gotten into the habbit of mixing hot chocolate and coffee half and half. price? .89/.99/1.09 and I must agree that it is shiye coffee or hot chocolate but not so bad mixed. Each seems to block out the others short commings.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 12:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Would you like me to nip over the border and put a fence round your new territory to keep it safe until your triumphant return?

A fence?
You mean something like this... ?

-

Thanks, but no thanks.

MoMan: I'm going to try your coffee/chocolate mix today, sounds truly vile [Wink]

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 14:18      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Mo Man is right

Take nasty garage/service station vending machine coffee and mix 50/50 with nasty garage/service station vending machine hot chocolate and get something strangely not too vile at all

[Big Grin]

Try it - you might be pleasantly surprised

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2006 14:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Hey, only about 60 some people need to die for my family to have a shot at being clan chief

Have you seen Kind Hearts and Coronets ?

Not that I'm suggesting anything, I'm just sayin'...

--------------------

freja42
Mini Geek
Member # 6685

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 01:38      Profile for freja42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
My brother-in-law bought me a square foot of land in the highlands for xmas. It's between Loch Treig and Loch Laggan, close to the commando school where my Uncle David spent a lot of his time during WWII, and just down the road from Clan McDruid's ancestral stamping-grounds in Glen Shee.

According to the information pack that came with my 'Title Deed', this makes me a 'Laird'.

I shall expect a suitably deferential tone from you all from now on.

Wow, that's so cool! [Big Grin]
Posts: 93 | From: Sweden | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2006 10:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's not filter coffee...
*ick*

But surprisingly, while coming back from PA many months ago, I stopped at a gas station, and got a cup of Green Mountain coffee for something rather close to a dollar. I don't think it was necessarily as low as $0.99, but it might have been $1.09. Given that Green Mountain is a known commodity, I thought it was a pretty fair deal, and was in fact, a good cup of coffee. [Smile]

Mind you, the best coffee is free coffee... but my luck in such matters hasn't been as great lately. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 16:17      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know what service stations are selling that ---- but the ones around here are good on the tap. I mean, everyone harasses Nebraskans but When you stop at a KwikShop they will have good coffe/hot cocoa (even if it has the crappy eastern names)

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 04:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous 'Laird' Druid_____________________Be sure to pay your taxes on the Kindom. Many years ago a cereal company here in the states had a promotion and the prize to the kiddies that collected enough box tops was a parcel of land some where off in the Northwest Territories. About fifteen years ago I got a notice from the Tax collector that my land had been siesed for back taxes. Seems the cereal company did not want to pay them for us and I never got a due notice.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 11:37      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laird Druid. I think I drove by your estate a few years ago on a trip around the Highlands. [Wink] It's beautiful country. Recommended reading for all Scot-ophiles or Scots born ex-pat is John McPhee's "The Crofter and the Laird".
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 12:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Be sure to pay your taxes on the Kindom.

I thought about that too, turns out that property taxes in Scotland apply only to dwellings, unoccupied land isn't taxed.
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 14:32      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Be sure to pay your taxes on the Kindom.

I thought about that too, turns out that property taxes in Scotland apply only to dwellings, unoccupied land isn't taxed.
Are you saying that you own an entire square foot of land in the Scottish Highlands and you are planning to *not* occupy it? [Eek!]

Don't even think of running for President! Anywhere! Ever!

*sheesh*

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 16:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Are you saying that you own an entire square foot of land in the Scottish Highlands and you are planning to *not* occupy it? [Eek!]

Don't even think of running for President! Anywhere! Ever!

I dunno about occupying the highlands, GG.
Some of those 'insurgents' look pretty tough.

-

(all comments about 'family resemblance' will be treated with the scorn they deserve [Wink] )

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 17:10      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

(all comments about 'family resemblance' will be treated with the scorn they deserve [Wink] )

I would not dare venture any remark about your common ancestry with this or any other coo. It seems highly suspect, however, that you and he share a hair stylist, oh Lairdy one. [Big Grin]

Edit:
And besides which, my insurgents  -

will be happy to kick your insurgent's arse. [Wink]

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 10:26      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I see now that the Mad Cow "epidemic" was in fact an insurgency of angered bovines. Glad we got that cleared up [Big Grin]

Congrats, your laird-iness.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 03, 2007 16:25      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on your Laird-ness. Do I have to face you at all times before leaving the room? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture