homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I resigned!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I resigned!
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 20, 2006 12:13      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, for those of you who know me and know that I went through 4 years of unemployment and monetary hardship, the fact that I resigned from my current job might seem crazy.

Well I am going to be joining up with a friend as a partner in his small computing company, where we will be setting up and selling systems and administration to small businesses. It is going to be a big step for me and from employee I am going to suddenly find myself as a company director and potential employer.
There is also the risk factor, especially as I am investing my own money into the business, but it is an opportunity that rarely comes my way and yes, I do trust my friend, known him for over 15 years.

Also the fact is that my actual job is getting too much on top of me, I am working as a 24x7 support engineer and so work nights and weekends. For the second year running I am working on New Year's Eve and really I do not have much of a personal life.
I am unable to get involved in our local theatre productions, something which I have been heavily into and now have not done for two years. The fact is also that I have had two friends die in the past 3 months and was unable to attend their funerals because of work. Then there is the political situation and all the changes going on which means that the job that I sign to do is not the one I am doing at the moment.
When I told my co-workers that I was resigning, their reaction, almost unanimously, was 'congratulations you are escaping'. [Eek!]

One fact to take heart from is that both my old boss and new boss have expressed their dismay at losing me. I think the "S**t! Anyone but you!" was certainly interesting to hear.

So now I have my two months notice to work out and then at the end of february I am moving onto new horizons.

Hopefully this will also mean that I will be able to get back to reading the forums again on a more regular basis.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:38      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with your new post. Interesting response from the boss - shows you must have been valued!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 15:14      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck SM! You are a good man, and so you and your fellow adventurers must prevail against the dark forces! In any event whether success or failure is yours, nobody ever regrets a decision that is taken for the best of reasons. Bravo! [Applause]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 15:33      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'll go with the congratulation part. A job that deprives you of that much good time can't be good. Of course, a start-up may need a lot of investment (and I'm not talking money!), but being your own boss allows you to say: "to hell with that, I'm done for today!" (And there's the "reaping the rewards" in some years.) Plus, knowing a bit of your qualifications, I have no doubth you will succeed. Still, good luck, and don't forget to use any "sick days" left before you leave! [Wink]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 15:46      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First congratulations,

Secondly i will expand on stereo's using up sick days advice and include making these next two months your best two months at the job. When i quit my last job those last two weeks were so great because i knew i couldn't get fired because i all ready resigned so all those things i had dreamed of doing at my job actually got done.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 16:12      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well in Switzerland we do not have sick days, but I am definitely going to see how much holidays I have left and try to use up a maximum.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 16:44      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funnily enough I'd almost give the opposite sort of advice. Try, in so far as you are able, to commit to your work until you leave. Since most people, once they have handed their notice in, are lazy and irresponsible, your reputation will be much enhanced if you behave otherwise, and one never knows when a kind word or a good reference may come in useful some time in the future. Leave them wanting you back.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 16:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on your escape and good luck with your startup

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 20, 2006 16:56      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent news Swiss! Walking into the boss' office and announcing you're quitting is one of the most fun things you can do [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 20, 2006 17:03      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swissy! Mag Valour, and may your new venture be a great success!

Just make sure you don't end up working 24/7. [Geek]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 18:00      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
need help there?

i could use a new job as well...hell A job for that matter

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 18:20      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, Swiss!
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 19:58      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats dude, and good luck. You'll do fine, I know it.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 21:29      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
need help there?

i could use a new job as well...hell A job for that matter

.....as long as it doesn't involve driving.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 09:25      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So are you going to continue to wallow away in the west or come east where the real money is?

(for everyone elses information, people living in westtern switzerland are stereotyped as having less wealth, or lust for money, as the people in the east.)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 09:36      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nan, staying in Geneva, why should I want to cross the Röstigraben? Too many Swiss Germans over there, speak strange languages that they try to tell me is German [Wink]

As for the holidays, well those that I already have booked might actually use up the days that I have left.

I am not going to slack off that much as if the venture fails I might need my old job back, and as I said above they have already said that should I change my mind or things not work out they will take me back, so I prefer to leave that door open.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture