homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » New critter addition! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New critter addition!
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 07:24      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As if I needed any more pets, especially pets that most people are afraid of. These two were pulled from the snakefood box at an Allston, MA pet store, because I'm a sucker for a cute set of whiskers.

-
This one's Diesel, she's the shy one; a few weeks older than Diva, and likes to hang out in hoods.

-
...and this one's Diva, she's a little pistolero...and a rex, as well, which accounts for the curly fur!

Oh man, they're easy-tempered little shoulder-riders, and smart, to boot. Active, though...I had to bribe them with a big glob of ricotta to hold still for the pictures. Mostly they just chase each other around trying to clean one another, and fight over carrots.

(Before anyone here goes off on me about the snakefood, not only does Sif The Python live upstairs in my room, while these two stay in the reading room downstairs, but she eats flash-frozen prey...more humane for her food and for her.)

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 08:12      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awwwwww!

*snuggles*

[Applause]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 08:32      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! [Applause]
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 08:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH how cute!

I'm a sucker for rodents. Can I hold one of them?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 09:02      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
(Before anyone here goes off on me about the snakefood, not only does Sif The Python live upstairs in my room, while these two stay in the reading room downstairs, but she eats flash-frozen prey...more humane for her food and for her.)

I just think it's a shame you're not using the snake food for its intended purpose. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 09:03      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The white one is cuter, but I don't think it would make a bit of a difference to your python [evil]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 09:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cute critters... and after they're gone, you can make keepsakes of them

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 09:55      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I just think it's a shame you're not using the snake food for its intended purpose.

I've got a freezerful of snake food that will most definitely be used for its purpose. [Big Grin]

(Feeding live rodents to snakes is dangerous for the reptile...especially when it's eating larger prey, like rats or rabbits. They fight back like little bastards, with sharp teeth and claws against soft snake eyes and mouths.)

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 10:26      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
I just think it's a shame you're not using the snake food for its intended purpose.

I've got a freezerful of snake food that will most definitely be used for its purpose. [Big Grin]

(Feeding live rodents to snakes is dangerous for the reptile...especially when it's eating larger prey, like rats or rabbits. They fight back like little bastards, with sharp teeth and claws against soft snake eyes and mouths.)

True, I've seen a king snake that got chewed up pretty badly when some ignorant people dropped a mouse in its cage on a cold night. On the other hand, I know some long-time reptile owners who prefer live prey for their pets anyway. It's sometimes nice to let them be predators, even with the risks.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 10:43      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's sometimes nice to let them be predators, even with the risks.

If you're throwing a live, fully conscious rat into a snake tank, you're endangering your snake's life. Period.

I should hope that they at least give the prey a good thunk on the head to ensure that they won't bite and claw quite so hard.

EDIT: Could you please refer your herper friends to these reads? It could save their pets' lives:
Why You Should Never Feed A Snake Live Food
Feeding Problematic Snakes Without Resorting To Live Food

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 14:24      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cute.

K'fir would like to make friends, I think.

-

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 14:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rats are wonderful pets. They are intelligent, full of character, and very friendly. The only downside is that they do not live very long, seldom more than 2 years. You'll enjoy them!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 16:36      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine got into a fight with her boyfriend and needed a place to stay for a night (she stormed out). She brought over her rat. It was very tame and very eager to eplore its new surroundings. It also slapped my brother in the face with its tail. I could have kissed it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 19:36      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
Very cute.

K'fir would like to make friends, I think.

-

Aww, s/he looks like my Grandma's cat, only hers is more dark brown with orange highlights. So cute [Smile]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 07:59            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious though, what a snake is like for a pet. (Or a rat for that matter). Presumably they're not smart enough to recognise their owner and don't come for cuddles like a cat might, but simply don't feel threatened enough by being picked up that they feel a need to attack?
IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 10:18      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I'm curious though, what a snake is like for a pet. (Or a rat for that matter). Presumably they're not smart enough to recognise their owner and don't come for cuddles like a cat might, but simply don't feel threatened enough by being picked up that they feel a need to attack?

...or a spider for that matter.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 10:38      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Rats are highly intelligent ("smarter than dogs and cleaner than cats," as I've heard from quite a few people) and definitely bond with their people. I've kept rats before; they can take a while to warm up to someone new, but even after the short time that these two have spent with me, they know my smell and the sound of my voice, and come running to the cage door hoping for snacks and playtime when I walk by...they don't do this with my roommates, and are cautious around others when they're out of the cage. They're social animals, so they also bond with each other. They respond to voice commands, and can be trained to do fairly complex tricks. (Mine, however, are still learning the meaning of "come here.") It's very much like having a clean, small, very dexterous dog.

Snakes are a little different...they don't bond like rats do, but they definitely recognize by scent. Sif The Python smells the air a bit, then comes out of hiding when I reach a hand into the tank, and will coil up my arm to make herself comfortable, but keeps to the shadows when another hand is reached in. She knows not to strike unless there's food offered; despite popular belief, snakes can be trained in the basics of good handling behavior. They definitely have moods; they get cranky while shedding or when hungry, and are visibly more at ease when being handled by a familiar person than an unfamiliar one.

Spiders don't bond at all, they're either hand-friendly or they're not. Some will attack your hand, others will crawl right up to your shoulder and hang out. It's luck of the draw; you can temperament-test adult tarantulas, but if you're hatching your own, it just depends on how they feel about being picked up...there's not much you can do about it.

(I can really wax poetic about my creepy-crawlies...)

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:27            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So when you go to buy a spider it's like "ow! OK, not that one ... How about YEOW! Damn, OK, how about ... ohhhhhhhhhhhh get off me! Hm ...."

I hope the pet stores carry all the antidotes to dose up their customers when they leave :)

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:38      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Male rats drag a trail of pee everywhere they go. That's why people put corn snakes and cats in their barns.
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 13:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So when you go to buy a spider it's like "ow! OK, not that one ... How about YEOW! Damn, OK, how about ... ohhhhhhhhhhhh get off me! Hm ...."

I hope the pet stores carry all the antidotes to dose up their customers when they leave [Smile]

Tarantula bites are generally on par with a bee sting, and they give you fair warning if they feel threatened, anyway. Spiders get a lot of bad press, but very few have venom powerful enough to even make a person very ill, much less require a dose of antivenin.

--------------------

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 13:33      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Actually, that sounds a lot like the day I picked out Sif...hatchling snakes are very nippy, I had tiny pairs of needle-marks in my hands for days after that. (She was selected, coincidentally enough, because she was the only one in her clutch that didn't strike.)

I had a very ill-tempered female Costa Rican tarantula...sure, a spider bite is on par with a bee's sting, but when you're allergic to both, it involves a lovely swelling of your entire forearm. (This would be the reason I no longer keep tarantulas. [Razz] )

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 14:11            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly, I've never had a spider bite ... They don't mind me. I've had at least one do a poo on my hand though. Native British spiders are, to the best of my knowledge, completely harmless (to "normal" people) but a brown recluse made its way here recently and bit someone, who was lucky to keep her leg. Tarantulas very, there are harmless ones and harmful ones -- but I was mostly joking. Clearly, I was closer to the mark than I quite realised.

But spider bites are apparently quite painful -- my dad put on a boot once with a spider inside and it started biting him as it was being crushed to death, and it really hurt.

Not sure about bee stings, I only got stung by wasps as a kid and that is both painful and particularly irritating as you go numb too. I think our wasp massacre at school once with lunchbox lids more than made waspkind pay the price for their ill deeds. And spiders, here at least, unlike wasps, are kind enough to leave you in peace.

But voluntarily being bitten by things? Rather you, Demos, than me ;-)

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 14:56      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bitten by some type of spider many years ago. The effects were similar to a brown recluse bite, though recluses aren't supposed to be found in the area. It was unpleasant enough to go to a doctor, but I ended up having to just let the venom run its course (it took about 3 weeks).

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 14:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been bitten by some variety of house spider. It was more itchy than painful. I'm really not a big spider fan. The little ones I can tolerate. Tarantulas give me the creeps. And apparently they grow wild in the Bay Area. When I went to the synchrotron last year I pulled a couple all-nighters, and on the last day my labmate came in to bring me back to the hotel so I could pack my shit (this was after she and my boss revived me with an enormous latte). When we came back, my boss had caught a baby tarantula under a DVD spindle cover and left it on a desk for us. He'd found it on the floor. On the experimental floor at a state-of-the-art synchrotron to be exact. I screamed. Loudly.

I am so glad I didn't see that thing at 4 am, when I was all by myself and wandering around the ring, trying to stay awake.

It's been a long time since I got stung by a bee, but I recall it being unpleasant.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 15:42      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure of the exact statistic, but I am pretty sure that the vast majority of venomous spider species are native to Australia, so anybody outside Oz afraid of spiders is, I am sorry to say, a bit of a wuss. I was only there for two weeks, and just met Redbacks, though quite a few of them, and handsome creatures that they are, I didn't feel tempted to get intimate. The beer is however another matter, very delicious, but sadly difficult to get outside of that beautiful and wonderful country.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture