homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Happy Birthday Ludwig van (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Happy Birthday Ludwig van
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 15, 2006 16:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beethoven, Jane Austen, Noel Coward, Arthur C. Clarke, Liv Ullmann, Benny Andersson, and....

uilleann!

Happy birthday to U!

[Smile]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 16:11      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday uilleann.

Hope you have a good one.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 15, 2006 16:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann! Happy B day! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 16:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you don't celebrate it, but happy birthday anyway uilleann. Go wading with someone you like [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 18:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen [Big Grin] [Big Grin] (But still, what temperature is it where you are? Damn, man, it's a bit chilly for that here right now, a warm heated pool sounds better)

Yeah I saw the topic and thought, heh, me too, but wasn't going to say anything.

Thanks guys. Though technically I'm still 25 until 21:50 tonight ...

IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 18:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The high today was 65F or so, so yeah, a bit chilly. Indoor, heated pools are nice [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 19:06            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe next year ... not got my teleporter working yet.
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 20:04      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
happy b-day [Applause]
Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 15, 2006 20:37      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday to U! I didn't know you shared the day with "lovely, lovely Ludwig van". I feel like having some milk and going out for a little ultra violence to celebrate.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 20:57            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even like classical music, I find it all so dreary and stuffy and lacking in any ideas. (There are a few tunes that are actually fun and interesting, however; whether any are Beethoven's, I forget, but it doesn't ring a bell)

Milk and ultraviolence? Odd ... but if it's what you want.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 21:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gonna have to disagree with you there, uilleann.

Classical music suffers a lot for its presentation. It really does.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 22:29            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure many would disagree; the damn stuff just won't die. Hundreds of years pass and it just won't die, like some sort of shambling horde of the undead.

Until very recently, I'd never heard the original In Dulce Jubilo. And finally I did ... I think my reaction was along the lines of "What on earth is that?" After only knowing Mike Oldfield's fantastic arrangement, the original was painfully slow and dull in comparison.

I like it when it's not stuffy and depressing -- Elite II: Frontier had a reasonable selection, albeit in all of its AdLib glory. Mussorgsky's Night on Bear Mountain was one, along with Ride of the Valkyries (forget whose that was). Not sure whether it was the right genre to go with a space trading and combat game, but hey ... More forgivable than drawing space in blue.

Always loved Mars by Holst, and Jupiter although I seem to have gone off the latter.

It's not all bad, not by far, but only when it's not pretentious and stuffy, and too much of it is. I'm not old and crusty enough to suffer that sort of nonsense, I want something that speaks to my soul and is lively and engaging.

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 00:44      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday uilleann, fellow December birthday man. [Big Grin]

I'll definitely be swimming on my birthday, but then it's summer down here. I'm about to pass out...going to the cricket when it's 40 degrees C is sooooo much fun. [crazy]

Meh, anything to see the Poms lose. [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 01:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I thought I we were going to discuss Beethoven [Geek] ..

Anyways, Happy birthday U.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 01:14      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If classical music does nothing for you uilleann, how about the other musician who shares your birthday, Benny Andersson?

PS There is another GC member who shares your birthday, but he's far too modest to mention it.... [Wink]

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 04:47            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite enjoy listening to ABBA in Spanish, which is rather odd, but I do. But yes, ABBA are great.
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 05:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I quite enjoy listening to ABBA in Spanish, which is rather odd, but I do. But yes, ABBA are great.

ABBA are plural?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 11:54      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday Uilleann!

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 11:57      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as they were four and the ABBA is the acronymn of their intials - Yes...

Also in English a group of people may be referred to by their "group title" either in the singular or plural. In this instance "ABBA is great" or "ABBA are great" both pass as acceptable English grammar. The exact point at which a group of people pass into a single entity for grammatic purposes is open to debate but in English even big corporates can still be referred in either the singular or plural because, for example, Microsoft is a legal single entity in its own right and a conglomeration of people - therefore the statements "Microsoft is great" and Microsoft are rubbish" can both be acceptable.

English is strange like that and as usual has a variety of riders, caveats and exceptions...

Shrugs - if it wasn't my first language I would hate to have to learn it... it is a truly "bastard language" with bits of Latin, Greek, Norse, Old Germanic, Mediaeval French and who knows what else mixed into it.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 13:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:

ABBA are plural?
What Serenak said, plus...

I find Americans are more likely to use the singular when referring to collective nouns "My football team is playing well this year" while brits are more likely to use the plural "My cricket team are crap". We aussies tend towards the british tradition in this, but you'll find both in common use here.

English really is a bastard of a language [Frown]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 15:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez.. it's no good being a shy attention whore here! For the next 59 minutes it's my birthday too! Let me feel your love! [Big Grin]

Yes to our mutual shame uilleann and I are bound together not just by our common humanity, but also by astrological destiny and December the 16th.

<Marlon> the horror... the horror...

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 15:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -  -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 16:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous wrote:
Let me feel your love!

I didn't think you swung that way...

Yes to our mutual shame uilleann and I are bound together not just by our common humanity, but also by astrological destiny and December the 16th.

Happy birthday to you too, in that case. [thumbsup]

If you put your birth date in your profile, you'll probably get more spontaneous birthday wishes than you do now

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 18:27      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy belated Birthday to you too Calli. [Smile]

Now I just have to see how many spontaneous birthday wishes come my way, since I have my birthday on my profile. [Wink]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 18:51      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am sure many would disagree; the damn stuff just won't die. Hundreds of years pass and it just won't die, like some sort of shambling horde of the undead.

Oh, but Rachmaninov composed in the 1930s! Rachmaninov is neither stuffy nor boring nor anything; his music is exhilarating, really. I don't want to get into an internet fight here, but IMHO Rachmaninov's music is a standard deviation above most other classical music.

Happy birthday, uilleann!

goo

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture