homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Bucketcat (RIP) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bucketcat (RIP)
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 10:36            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something non-controversial for once ... Went down to the kitchen to maks some 2 am lunch, and noticed something odd in the corner of the room:

-

Is he ...? Yep ...

-
 -

Funny, it's taken him 11 or 12 years to realise that the kitchen bucket is perfectly cat-sized ...

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 11:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's cute...now you just need to get Joel to make a very wrong song about it. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 11:26      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silly cat.
Our likes the desk drawer (It's closed when she's in it). She discovered it as a safe haven as a kitten, we took out all the papers and put her bed in it. It's a tight squeeze for her to get into it from the back of the desk, but she manages.
 -
 -

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 10, 2006 12:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha!

What normally goes in the bucket?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 12:17      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the first day we got my cat 11 years ago, we lost him in the house.

we tore apart all the closets, overturned all the mattresses.

we found him three hours later perched on top of the books on the top shelf of the bookcase in my younger brother's room. I loved that cat.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 12:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Ha ha!

What normally goes in the bucket?

Odo, perhaps? [Razz]

(More realistically - it's by the kitchen door, so probably scraps to be composted in the garden. [A distinctly English thing. =P])

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 13:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heheh I forgot about Odo's bucket ... No, dusters, rags, sponges, cat comb, a brush, all sorts. It's clean, and probably all soft and squashy for him.

Bibo -- wtf? Your cat actually still went back after you put a bed there? Instead of saying "A bed? You spoilt my fun!" *pout* and going somewhere else? ;) Cute though.

never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 14:36      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, what is about cats and their odd sleeping habits?

Mine --her name is Syneiah (is a 2 year old javanese-- never ceases to amaze me in regards to where she sleeps. Usually, it is on me while I sleep, whether it be on my head or stomach or back, or wherever she can find.

But during the day, she gets creative. Sometimes she climbs inside the counch (I guess there is a hole under it or something) so we have to be careful when we sit, so as not to squash her. I have found her inside drawers, inside baskets, inside my pillowcase, etc. I think the weirdest place I have ever found her is curled up inside the dog's water dish, with water still in it.

Also, the positions she sleeps in are quite intersting too. For instance, many times she will sleep on her back with her whole body stretched out. She usually sleeps on top of things, so often half of her body will not be on whatever surface she happens to be occupying at that time.

Silly felines. What is it with them?

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 21:21            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the dog's water bowl in the water ...? :D OK you win :P
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2006 13:26      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cats likes to just lounge on his back sometimes. I'll catch him napping this way too!

-

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2006 14:26      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
(More realistically - it's by the kitchen door, so probably scraps to be composted in the garden. [A distinctly English thing. =P])

I wouldn't think that was particularly English. My grandmother has always composted her kitchen scraps for the garden.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 11, 2006 16:56      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick! Register CatsInBuckets.com and start collecting digital photos for the eventual book deal. Just like www.CatsInSinks.com and www.StuffOnMyCat.com

Community-supplied content is where it's at!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 01:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've always buried our garbage in the garden. Kinda like composting, but skipping a few steps!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 02:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like bucketcat [Applause] [Applause]

As you can see from the picture below, Rowan (who is not the brightest of animals) has a tendency to get in any boxes left open....

-

Whereas Travis has one special box that she sleeps in, way up high in the kitchen [Smile]

-

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 04:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah our cat used to like climbing into boxes, seems to have given up on it in his old age. But Travis is just funny ... what does a box on its side serve to do that high up? I don't think cats run out of ways to be weird ...

Did you put the box there first and the cat found it?

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 04:45      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:

/me pictures Travis setting up some sort of winch system to lift the box up there... [Wink]
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 07:00      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by uilleann:

We discovered that Travis was sleeping on top of the kitchen cupboards at night, probably for warmth (the boiler is in the cupboards). We made this discovery at a time when all four cats were taking turns playing in the box. It was a bit of an experiment, but I just thought that Travis might like the box to sleep in. I put it on its side as I thought she would be likely to take a tumble if it was stood up in the normal way. She loves it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 08:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My silly question: How does she get up there?

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 09:11      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97 :
My silly question: How does she get up there?

She jumps onto the kitchen worktop, then jumps again onto the fridge-freezer (the cereal boxes in the photo are sat on the fridge freezer) - that gets her about six feet up off the ground. One more jump from the top of the fridge-freezer onto the top of the overhead cupboards. She will accomplish this in one smooth sequence probably taking about three seconds. [Smile]

My question for uilleann:

Was bucketcat a one-off, or has he repeated the behaviour?

...and BooBooKitty - have you tried to explain to your cat the meaning of the word "inelegant"? [Wink]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 09:12      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:

I wouldn't think that was particularly English. My grandmother has always composted her kitchen scraps for the garden.
I do it. Between composting and recycling, we throw away almost nothing.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 09:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure ... He starting taking interest in the bucket a week or two ago. One night he was stood with his front feet in it but seemed unable to get back out -- just frozen there and I picked him up and took him out of it.

But I've only seen him sleep in there the once, maybe because it was really cold that night. He tends to sleep on the doormat instead, despite being rough and prickly. That or the floor. Never anywhere you want him to go, and never in any bed you might give him.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 09:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:
He tends to sleep on the doormat instead, despite being rough and prickly. That or the floor. Never anywhere you want him to go, and never in any bed you might give him.

A few strips of duct tape will keep him in bed and solve that problem.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 09:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
uilleann wrote:
He tends to sleep on the doormat instead, despite being rough and prickly. That or the floor. Never anywhere you want him to go, and never in any bed you might give him.

A few strips of duct tape will keep him in bed and solve that problem.

Wow...that's just begging for scratched up arms... (when the duct tape is removed, anyway)

--------------------

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 10:41      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 10:49            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow...that's just begging for scratched up arms... (when the duct tape is removed, anyway)

Hm ... very curious. He doesn't generally scratch (it's extremely rare that he's troubled enough to do that), but I don't know if he's intelligent enough to realise we stuck him down and if he'd then get so angry he'd lash out. I don't think I could ever be quite that cruel, as annoying and extremely awkward as he may be.

Trash cat? :) Cute, although the perspective and depth is far enough out that I spot it as a fake a mile away -- have to do better than that ;) Like maybe some duct tape at the bottom of the wastepaper basket and put your own cat into it and leave it there?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture