homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » For the Metalheads...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For the Metalheads...
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 16:36      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beautiful metal video I was a part of:

Dreadnaut Music Video

Dreadnaut is a Winnipeg Metal band. We have lots of them. My appearances in the video are slim though. There's a black and white shot of me crowd surfing and a quick blip of my red hair at one point:
 -

It's my .015 seconds of fame...lol

Enjoy!

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 21:21      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds a bit like Soilwork, I suppose, but they're sloooow, like any canuck [Razz]

If you want fast, check out Behemoth - Inferno's double bass easily outguns an MG-42.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 21:58      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kick Ass Mel!!!

I was a metal head from waaaaaaaaaay back in the day good to see the the resurgence.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 07:41      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
good to see the the resurgence.

Resurgence? Metal never went away...
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 16:03      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Kick Ass Mel!!!

I was a metal head from waaaaaaaaaay back in the day good to see the the resurgence.

And I tell you what. Thoes kids today don't know how to "Rock out" Back when I was young we rocked so hard we made Axel leave the stage after one song.

....... Or was that because he was a prick?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 08:35      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Sounds a bit like Soilwork, I suppose, but they're sloooow, like any canuck [Razz]

If you want fast, check out Behemoth - Inferno's double bass easily outguns an MG-42.

Whatever, there's lots of heavier/Death Metal bands in Winnipeg, and a lot less cheesy than Behemoth [Razz] Here's a few:

http://www.myspace.com/damascus
http://www.myspace.com/xplicitmetal
http://www.myspace.com/stillvillagemetal
http://www.myspace.com/infraction

And Dreadnaut sounds nothing like Soilwork [Razz]

I agree that metal never went away. And now there is a lot of mosh-pit courtesy too, such as lifting those up that fall and not crowding the stage to stage dive. That's what we do in Winnipeg anyways, but the metalheads are pretty tight-knit here. Definitely check out a show if anyone wants to travel through here!

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2006 11:52      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Behemoth might be cheesier than the entire state of Wisconsin, but you gotta admit it, their drummer is a monster.
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2006 01:26      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Mel [thumbsup]

Hmm, are we gonna turn this into a "post your favourite metal bands others probably haven't heard of" thread? That could be fun...

Not sure who Dreadnaut sounds like, but Behemoth sounds like the bastard child of Anthrax and Dimmu Borgir [Wink]

Ok, my contributions:
MM9
Tourettes
Parkway Drive
Sunk Loto
Mortality
One Shot Kill
Scarblind

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted December 11, 2006 02:46      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lack the gene that enjoys this stuff, but watched the whole ugly business just to catch a glimpse of the gorgeous Mel! Unfortunately you are all right, this boring and pretentious music will never die so long as there are 14 year old spotty boys sitting in attic rooms playing air guitar and feeling grandiose and persecuted. [devil wand]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2006 09:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous wrote:
this boring and pretentious music will never die so long as there are 14 year old spotty boys

*looks at Mel's profile picture*

I've never seen a 14 year old spotty boy look like that before. Have you had your eyesight checked lately? [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2006 13:38      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Unfortunately you are all right, this boring and pretentious music will never die so long as there are 14 year old spotty boys sitting in attic rooms playing air guitar and feeling grandiose and persecuted. [devil wand]

Personally, I would have thought it more pretentious to write off a whole genre of music purely from personal taste, and frankly, the whole "well, they're just too young and naive to know that there's _better_ music out there, but their tastes will improve once they get older, hopefully" undercurrent smacks of elitism.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2006 14:25      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous: you might be amazed, but some metalhleads have Chopin sitting right next to Cannibal Corpse on their iPod.
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2006 16:40      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was being heretical and provocative, and hoped that devil wand would tell you not to take it toooo seriously, but I should have maybe put a few more winks and so on in my post. Unless I am forced to listen to music I have no feelings for, I really don't care what other people do or don't like. Obviously since enough people like this, it cannot be without merit, but though this and everything else that ultimately stems from the music of Led Zeppelin has always left me completely cold, I don't actually wish they had all been strangled at birth! [Wink] I admit that it is my blind spot. I like music, whether blues, rock 'n roll, soul, or whatever that swings a bit, which metal does not, but hey what the hell, I also like opera, which many of you find incomprehensible, while to me it's visceral appeal as bleedin' obvious as the nose on my face. So vive la difference!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 00:05      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I was being heretical and provocative, and hoped that devil wand would tell you not to take it toooo seriously, but I should have maybe put a few more winks and so on in my post

That probably would have helped [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 05:28      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minneapolis local band that rocks big time. They have a new album comming out soon.

skywynd

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 07:32      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lawnmower deth FTW!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 09:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Callipygous: you might be amazed, but some metalhleads have Chopin sitting right next to Cannibal Corpse on their iPod.

It's the Chopin that makes me worry. [Razz]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 10:40      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Or, if you're seeking the snobbier, more avante-garde breed of metalhead, there's a Boyd Rice lecture on nihilism sitting next to Deicide on my iPod. [Big Grin]
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 15:09      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, the best I can do is slayer and the now show.

*sob* I thought I was ecelectic *sob*

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2006 17:02      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:

Or, if you're seeking the snobbier, more avante-garde breed of metalhead, there's a Boyd Rice lecture on nihilism sitting next to Deicide on my iPod. [Big Grin]
squee another Deicide fan.

decapitated? prostitute disfigurement? any other favorite bands in common?

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 04:38      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Only metalheads that don't have any Chimera [Wink]

quote:
Originaly posted by business attire:

Hmm, I seem to remember they're touring Aus, playing Sydney tomorrow night .. if my gf wasn't having post music loud headache problems might have gone and seen them.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 11:07      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Only metalheads that don't have any Chimera [Wink]

quote:
Originaly posted by business attire:

Hmm, I seem to remember they're touring Aus, playing Sydney tomorrow night .. if my gf wasn't having post music loud headache problems might have gone and seen them.

Or Charon and Children of Bodom, for that matter [Wink]

Guess I should've used "close" instead of "right next to."

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 11:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well yes, but it got there because they thought it was pronounced " Choppin' ", and now they can't figure out how to delete it.

"Hit iPod with stick ... bad music still there... hit harder..."

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture