homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » zomg pen pals! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: zomg pen pals!
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 11:33      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...sort of.

I bought a pack of 18 christmas cards, and it turns out I only know 8 people [ohwell]

anyway, if you trust a girl you've never met enough to send me your address via PM you may end up with a card in your mailbox.

MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 11:39      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the winners are....!

[Smile]

--------------------
MMG

Posts: 30 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 11:46      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll bite, and offer the same to anyone who wants to P.M. me with their private information (international included).
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 12:18      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacMandoGal:
And the winners are....!

[Smile]

you want winners after six minutes?!
pushy pushy!

so far the only winner is black widow.

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 12:50      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. This gives me an idea for some sort of Geek Culture Christmas card exchange.

To allay privacy fears, somehow funnel cards through one trusted location for a fee (GC HQ?), and the happy exchanges of Christmas cheer can commence!

Ok, probably labor-intensive for the person who'd have to distribute them...But I can think of a few people I'd love to send an interesting card to. [evil]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 13:03      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's the way I see it:

-the people from my state that post here I already know in the "real world", and am I really going to travel all the way to Missouri or Illinois to show up on your doorstep? (no!)
-I figure the only people that respond to my offer will be regulars that post often, have read my posts often (for the entire month I've posted [Roll Eyes] ), and have a good feel for the sort of person I am (not exactly creepy).

MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 13:06      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
here's the way I see it:

-the people from my state that post here I already know in the "real world", and am I really going to travel all the way to Missouri or Illinois to show up on your doorstep? (no!)
-I figure the only people that respond to my offer will be regulars that post often, have read my posts often (for the entire month I've posted [Roll Eyes] ), and have a good feel for the sort of person I am (not exactly creepy).

It probably wouldn't take too much encouragement for someone to send you an all expenses paid ticket!

(OK, that was creepy! [Eek!] )

--------------------
MMG

Posts: 30 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 13:06      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better yet: why not a gift exchange? Not a big one, but trinkets for tourists and the like, just to show the diversity of GC's people. Or hand made, for those who have nimble fingers.

BA: Expect a PM from me at some point. I'm not good at that pen-pal thing (I usually exchange a lot of letters for a couple of years, then things fall apart), but it would be nice to have something to show that we're real people.

I guess I'll have to buy some cards too. Hmmm... And who wants to get a card from me?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 13:12      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brazen commercial message:

Give the gift of Garlic (Head)! It's real! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 13:16      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
And who wants to get a card from me?

Me! Me! I'll reciprocate. [Big Grin]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 13:32      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I have a safe way to send my address and receive some, I'll send handmade cards!
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 14:54      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will send a Chrismas card to anyone who wants one. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 16:28      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Better yet: why not a gift exchange? Not a big one, but trinkets for tourists and the like, just to show the diversity of GC's people. Or hand made, for those who have nimble fingers.

I think it's becoming clear that this is heading towards becoming an orgy. I mean, it's just the natural extension, right?
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 17:51      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were you asked to send one to Whatchamahcallthattown, Australia? [Wink]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 17:55      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in, I'll send some too.

PM Me your address and I'll likely respond in the same.

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 20:38      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aww I love all the holiday cheer spreading that I started.
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 21:08      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
aww I love all the holiday cheer spreading that I started.

Yay for holiday cheer. [Smile]

Also, I replied to a certain PM, but it might not be very obvious due to the way threads bounce between incoming and outgoing. Just a heads up. [Wink]

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 21:26      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and it wasn't me, because I get emails when I get PMs!

and while we're talking about PMs, I PMed quantum fluff last week and I don't think he's seen it yet. so if he reads this, he should check on that.

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 22:03      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm down. Just PM me an address, and I'll do the same.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 22:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, interesting as it may sound, I think I'm just going to play Scrooge this year, and not do anything with cards. [Smile]

I know, I'm a cheery fellow...what can you do? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 23:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well, interesting as it may sound, I think I'm just going to play Scrooge this year, and not do anything with cards.

Might I suggest you send cards to the staff at the local coffee shops?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 06:12      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
and it wasn't me, because I get emails when I get PMs!

Hmm, odd. I replied to your reply but it still says "unready by recipient". Try opening that original PM.

Then again, maybe it's just weirdness on my side and you *have* seen it...

/me heads off in search of coffee

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 06:17      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spidey -- nopes. problem solved.

I still have 5 cards...

Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 06:31      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
spidey -- nopes. problem solved.

Gotta love the UBB PM system... [Razz]

--------------------

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 07:53      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
here's the way I see it:

Business, I take it youve never been to a 'moot of any type with us geek-types. We tend to really show up on ppl's doorsteps, often only preceeded with an IM "Im around you and lost, where do you live and Ill show up."

Ill take a card, and send some. *makes a note that I need to get cards for regular ppl* Just PM me as everyone else is.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture