homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Family and Vocabulary (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Family and Vocabulary
MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 21:51      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you use any words that your family was unfamiliar with during the past hoiday?

I did. The word was - coracle.

For some reason that caused at least 30 minutes of uproarious laughter and was brought up several times over the next two days.

I'd like to hear what words you befuddled your family with - what was the context, what was the reaction...

(this should be interesting!)

--------------------
MMG

Posts: 30 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 23:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not family, but I once used the word caltrop in conversation at work (as a solution to a real problem we were discussing), much to the puzzlement of my workmates. I then had to explain what caltrops were, and how they were used. For the rest of my time in that job, my workmates would jokingly ask if I knew any archaic technology to solve the problem at hand.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 00:09      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, "r-tard". My cousin and I had just finished watching the South Park episode 'Make Love, not Warcraft'.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 03:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacMandoGal________________________I once used "Ice Queen Goddess" to discribe a rather snooty coworker. The best was when I went to discribe a coworker as "Vacuuous" meaning that calling that person an airhead would mean that there was at least air molecules in their head.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 06:47      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my family got upset when I started talking about serotonin, melonin, tryptophan and pyloric sphincters. (the turkey making you tired thing is a myth, tryptophan only conversts serotonin to melonin when your stomach is empty, etc. etc.)

then when my cousin started playing some rather complicated Christmas carols on the piano for us all, my grandmother looked at me and said "can you do THAT miss smartypants?"

also, I like you MMG, you're a good topic starter.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 10:37      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have much experience of this phenomenon at home - but at work I am always having to come the defence of innocent words, just minding their own business when bam! someone tries to force that word to do a job it wasn't made to do.
Examples - I had to explain that:
1) oleaginous is not a compliment
2) reciprocity is a good thing
3) infundibuliform simply means funnel-shaped

And when I said that "yes, there is a word which means 'the act of estimating as worthless - it's floccinaucinihilipilification'" they looked at me like I'm weird. [Confused]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 13:10      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
my family got upset when I started talking about serotonin, melonin, tryptophan and pyloric sphincters. (the turkey making you tired thing is a myth, tryptophan only conversts serotonin to melonin when your stomach is empty, etc. etc.)

then when my cousin started playing some rather complicated Christmas carols on the piano for us all, my grandmother looked at me and said "can you do THAT miss smartypants?"

Ah, well at least your family appreciates the arts! Back in the day when I was still resident, my piano playing was frequently silenced in favor of football and sitcoms.

I get where you're coming from - it's easy for us geeks to leave the non-geek members of our families in the dust!

Like you too, BA - what a splash you made when you joined the board! Are you sure your mother isn't Lara Croft? You seem to have a similar panache (and effect).
[Cool]

--------------------
MMG

MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 13:15      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
I don't have much experience of this phenomenon at home - but at work I am always having to come the defence of innocent words, just minding their own business when bam! someone tries to force that word to do a job it wasn't made to do.
Examples - I had to explain that:
1) oleaginous is not a compliment
2) reciprocity is a good thing
3) infundibuliform simply means funnel-shaped

And when I said that "yes, there is a word which means 'the act of estimating as worthless - it's floccinaucinihilipilification'" they looked at me like I'm weird. [Confused]

Good ones! I had to explain "cogitate" the other day to a co-worker (fellow geek no less). And I think I landed a really geeky job once by using the word "loquacious" in a job interview. The same event made me a "friend-with-benefits" of one of the interviewers down the road (like 1 day after he had left the company)...

--------------------
MMG

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 13:20      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacMandoGal:
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:

Ah, well at least your family appreciates the arts! Back in the day when I was still resident, my piano playing was frequently silenced in favor of football and sitcoms.

I get where you're coming from - it's easy for us geeks to leave the non-geek members of our families in the dust!

Like you too, BA - what a splash you made when you joined the board! Are you sure your mother isn't Lara Croft? You seem to have a similar panache (and effect).
[Cool]

I made a splash? this is news to me.

and the original Tomb Raider is still one of my favorites. Thats what I play after long stressful weeks when my brain turns to mush.

never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 15:43      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, this probably doesn't count, but I make up words all the time. On purpose, of course. Simply because I can't think of the right word and don't want to use a real word incorrectly.

Also, this probably doesn't count either, but I have a horrible issue with mixing up words and pieces of words. For example:

I don't have any phone on my time ( I don't have any time on my phone)

You can't have a raincorn without a unibow ( You can't have a rainbow without a unicorn).

The torner you corned (the corner you turned)

Haha, i get teased alot for it. but I don't mind; I wind up laughing at myself all the time [Smile]

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 16:08      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, spoonerisms are fun. Like cunning stunt.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 16:51      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats a mighty high compliment 'round these parts, max.
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 19:56      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That max is a cunning linguist, is he not?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 23:20      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by never_ask_why333:
Haha, this probably doesn't count, but I make up words all the time.

And what about Dubya's exhortation to "never mis-underestimate the enemy"? Intentional? - probably not. [Roll Eyes]

On a related note - I have noticed that when Mrs Grummash is tired or stressed, she tends to get her worms wrong.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 02:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that just a girl thing, Grummy? I run into that problem, too, when I'm tired. I can't seem to think in a straight line and I tend to stop mid-sentence. It drives Bear batty sometimes.

Accidentally, I combined two phrases, but they stuck and now that's what our family uses:

Never bite a gift horse in the mouth. The result of "Never bite the hand that feeds you" and "Never look a gift horse in the mouth."

Ironically enough, that advice is so true... [crazy]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 08:32      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:

oh fsck!

I have to clean my monitor after that one.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 09:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Is that just a girl thing, Grummy? I run into that problem, too, when I'm tired. I can't seem to think in a straight line and I tend to stop mid-sentence. It drives Bear batty sometimes.

I do that too. Except instead of getting words turned around and backwards I just stammer. I also tend to stare off into space, which scares people. :/

My approach to big words at family gatherings is to just keep my mouth shut. But this year my sister's girlfriend started grilling me about what I do (she was genuinely interested in my field...I'm still floored). And believe it or not I managed to explain myself in laymen's terms. I knew I was doing a good job because, about halfway through my explanation, I noticed that the entire table was listening. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get my family to shut up and listen??

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 11:10      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put all that ver bos ity to work!
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 11:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
On a related note - I have noticed that when Mrs Grummash is tired or stressed, she tends to get her worms wrong.

I identify with this malady, Grummy. When really tired, I've been know to announce that "I'm off to hit the log" or "saw the hay". It evokes some strange looks from the clan.

As for vocabulary, none of my family are blessed with an affinity for computing, math, science...
Mrs.gg is a pretty serious grammar/spelling Nazi, having been an editor at various points in her life. So she's fun to kibitz with, at least. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 12:00      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:

oh fsck!

I have to clean my monitor after that one.

....and that is different from any other day for you how?

[Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 13:34            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A bolt out of left field"

I cannot believe I said that. Steve said that, and years later I ended up saying it in all seriousness.

I tend to try to saying two synonyms at once, I'm too indecisive to be able to pick. But fortunately, as many words as I've tangled, I've never actually enunciated a blend of "filth" and "muck" although I have come close ...

My only real Steveism was "Off the top of my heart".

IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2006 22:47      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

I think it may be a girl thing...when I get tired or stressed I know exactly which words I want to use, and most of them are not very nice! [Razz]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 09:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I do that too. Except instead of getting words turned around and backwards I just stammer. I also tend to stare off into space, which scares people. :/

I don't think it's a girl thing. I get lost mid-sentence and completely forget what I was talking about.

I talk very fast, but my mind still goes faster. I have to actually ask the person I was talking to to tell me what I was saying so I can continue.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 10:33      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't tend to screw up words as much as just use the wrong words, or blank on the word I want to use (it's there, but I just can't quite find it). I also do the staring-into-space thing at times, which has occasionally caused problems when people think I'm looking at something or someone.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2006 18:41            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, just having noticed that staring thing you mentioned, Xanthine... Sometimes I just stare at nothing without full conscious awareness of what I'm seeing -- I'll be listening to someone and consequently ignoring my eyes, wherever they were, but I tend to look down a bit. So then girls will get cross for me staring at their chests -- I don't think they really believed the idea of actually ignoring your vision entirely. My mother used to do the same thing -- stare without seeing.

The freakiest person of all was my physics teacher at school, who would stare towards me but his eyes seemed focused elsewhere. But he looked like he was on drugs, it was a very weird thing to behold. David Feldman ... I wonder if he was any relation to Marty? I just guess it was the same as what I do -- simply cease paying attention to what I'm looking at, to save on brain power. Just that with me, I tend to naturally look downwards (oops) and Mr Feldman would be looking straight at you, just, not quite.

I guess you're another one. As long as you don't get put on drug rehab for it ;)

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture