homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Dreams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dreams
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 20:29      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeping for me is usually pretty simple. Go to bed, sleep, wake up. That's it. I can only recall a few rare occasions where I'd get up in the morning with any awareness of what I'd dreamt of the night before.

Recently (read: past two weeks), I've started dreaming regularly, vividly, and remembering these dreams in great detail upon waking up in the morning (or in the middle of the night, as the case may be).

The bulk of these dreams have been disturbing, and every morning after I have one, I wake up scratching my head, wondering why the hell I dreamt of that...Last night, it was a nearby nuclear power plant melting down, and all the associated badness.

I'm not an anxious person, and am not prone to panic or excessive worrying, so I guess I'm just puzzled.

What does it mean? Why all of a sudden?

:shrug:

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 21:08      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you going through any major changes in your life? New job, new girlfriend, moving, changing majors, friend/relative died, friend/relative had a baby, or anything else that would have a big impact on your life? Or even, new mattress, change in sleep routine, or odd new food you've tried just before bed?

A disturbing dream doesn't have to mean anything, but since they're happening often I would guess they mean that there is something that you are anxious or nervous about, or even scared of. You don't have to be an anxious person to have occasional anxieties.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 21:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You under stress? Been under stress recently? That can trigger night-time weirdness.

Have you been sleep deprived and just now getting into a normal routine again? I ask because when I was an undergrad I rarely got more than four or five hours of shuteye each night during the week. On the weekends, I "slept in" - seven hours straight baby!! Then I'd come home on break and sleep 12-14 hours a night for a couple weeks and, during those hours of paying off my debt to myself, I'd dream long, bizarre, nightmarishly complicated dreams. Recently I learned there is actually a medical term for this: REM rebound. Dreams are your mind's mechanism for taking a shit. If you haven't been getting enough of that deep healthy REM sleep, the shit piles up. When you fall back into a healthier pattern, your brain dumps its load with extreme prejudice. The results aren't exactly pleasant, but they pass.

I try not to do stuff like that to myself anymore. I can't handle it. Whatever it is that gets you through periods like that, I used it all up as an undergrad.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 06:04      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After our loss earlier this year, I had horrible nightmares for months. I think it was the stress of it all, luckily I am 'getting better' (as it may be [Big Grin] ) so they have all but disappeared.

Have you been playing a new video game recently, or moreso than in the past? I find that if I play certain games, especially right before bed, I have vivid dreams about them.

If you're interested in interpreting your dreams, to maybe give you better insight into why you are having them, I found this neat dream dictionary.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 07:39      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite Stephen King movie, The Stand will explain it all for you. Especially the Byron plant...

gg [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 11:43      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG:
Yup, Byron's the place. I had forgotten you were familiar with this area.

Xanthine:
I think you've solved it. For the past 6 months, I've hardly slept, but over the past few weeks, I've been careful about getting more sleep (except for last night...had to get up at 4:00AM for work related stuff, and didn't dream...hmm). What you describe sounds very much like what I've been experiencing.

I guess I'll just have to let my body catch up...

Still weird.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 11:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote: " Dreams are your mind's mechanism for taking a shit."

Thanks for that image, Xanth! I'm now searhing for a supply of mental prunes so as not to impede the progress of the process. [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 13:55      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spidey: you seem to handle stress very well, but let me offer my honest opinion (and, again, this is just from meeting you once for a few hours and having coffee). You have a high-stress life, which is okay because you /do/ handle it very well, but sometimes a little twerk in your stress level (even just a little) can cause weird dreams to crop up.

But I think that more than that is Xanthine's diagnosis. If you don't reach REM like you're supposed to or don't get enough, when you finally do start to catch up you get hellish dreams. It's your brain's way of screaming for attention. You're expierencing the early stages of long-term sleep depravation, which means it's time to slow down a bit and listen to your body! Sleep is a very important part of the human life cycle, just because we don't fully understand it doesn't mean it's not important. If you continue to deprive yourself, you really run the risk of affecting your health later in life and risk developing sleeping disorders (like insomnia). My recommendation is to step down the stimulant dosage a bit and do what you can to try and get more sleep (though it sounds like you're already doing better).

Sorry if I'm a little preachy on this subject, but I /really/ cherish my sleep and I think that far too many people in our stimulant-powered workaholic culture underestimate the importance of proper sleep.

</soapbox>

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 14:24      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Or even, new mattress, change in sleep routine, or odd new food you've tried just before bed?

Ha! I called it too. [Wink] [Razz]

I hope you sleep better, Spidey. [Smile]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 17:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Xanthine wrote: " Dreams are your mind's mechanism for taking a shit."

Thanks for that image, Xanth! I'm now searhing for a supply of mental prunes so as not to impede the progress of the process. [Applause] [Applause]

Glad to be of service. [Razz]

On a more serious note, sleep is important. When I started grad school I started sleeping more and eating better and I quickly noticed that I didn't get sick as often. The warts on my toes and fingers also disappeared. And a couple lingering injuries healed. And my allergies got easier to deal with. But I did remain weird, so sleep doesn't fix everything. [Wink] It is nice though.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2006 20:02      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Or even, new mattress, change in sleep routine, or odd new food you've tried just before bed?

Ha! I called it too. [Wink] [Razz]

I hope you sleep better, Spidey. [Smile]

Ah, yes, you did. I think I must have been sleeping when I read that post. [Wink]

I think I might put these dreams to good use by writing scripts for horror films. [Razz]

Again, thanks to all for the input. [Cool]

--------------------

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 10:13      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I ask because when I was an undergrad I rarely got more than four or five hours of shuteye each night during the week.

As an undergrad? That was nothing compared to grad. school [Smile]

(But regarding sleep, you're probably right, since grad. courses tend to be in the evening)

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 10:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My coursework happened in the morning or early afternoon. I say happened because I don't have to do that anymore. [Smile] I did have some rough nights my first year.

Mostly I'm just in the lab 10 hours a day six days a week. Occasionally I have a really late night or a month when I'm in here every damn day, but it's not that bad. If I wanted to have a life outside the lab I'd be in trouble though...

--------------------
- The Decemberists

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 19:21      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<topicjack>

In a different topic, Xanthine wrote: those that gained by doing bad risk falling on their own swords.

This, of course reminded me of Serenity, which I hadn't watched since its release in the theatres. So we rented the DVD and watched it tonight. That is a terrific bit of entertainment!

So thanks again for your inspirational words, Xanth! [Smile] [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

</topicjack>

Wonder what (who) I'll dream about tonight... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 23:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live to serve.

Or something like that.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 08:12      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I live to serve.

Or something like that.

I'll have a 12oz Filet with Mashed, steamed veggies and a Killians please.
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 08:21            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to play Alexander Brandon's awesome LABRAT.S3M in her honor then.

(Heh, he misspelt it "Labratory" too -- how apt.)

IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 09:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:
I live to serve.

Or something like that.

I'll have a 12oz Filet with Mashed, steamed veggies and a Killians please.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to cook meat. I can do the rest though. [Razz]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture