homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Mmm... peanut butter cookies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mmm... peanut butter cookies
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2006 19:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A guy I work with is badly sensitive to gluten, so he can't eat regular cookies. His wife baked a batch of special ones that he can have, however, and he brought some to work on Friday and shared. They were good, so I asked for the recipe and he emailed it to me today. I'm surprised at how good they are considering how little there is to them. The cookies come out soft and chewy and are quite tasty.

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup chunky or smooth peanut butter (not low fat)
1.75 cups powdered sugar
1 egg

Mix everything thoroughly and roll into 1 inch balls. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten with a fork or the bottom of a glass. Bake at 350F for 5-7 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet so they don't fall apart.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 08:28      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yummmm!!! That looks so easy to make! And I was just thinking of making a batch of chocolate chip cookies this afternoon too. It's a baking type of day. [Smile]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 11:24      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel a diabetic shock coming on.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 14:49      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I probably ate a dozen of my grandmothers pecan and peanutbutter cookies today.
I swear its the ONLY good thing about visiting my family.

also, I just dont' understand how that wouldn't just leave a melted peanutbutter blob on the cookie sheet.

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2006 15:34      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! So much sugar. They sound really good though, and easy. [thumbsup]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
HypedOnMuffins
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3760

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 15:39      Profile for HypedOnMuffins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah! No flour - I swear that's not the right way to spell that. But, dude; no flour. That's crazy. I'm going to try it! You've made me excited now! Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
It's really rude to hate muffins when they so like you! Muffins are quite fond of people, why don't you like them too?

Posts: 12 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2006 19:11      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you mean thats now how you spell woah? or flour?
I think both were perfectly acceptable spellings.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 03:59      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, "woah" is not the correct spelling. "Whoa" is. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 06:14      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And while we're on correct spellings . . . though this is a threadjack . . . its fluorescent, not flourescent. [crazy]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 07:22      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

hey I never said correct I said acceptable.

there's a fine line between the two.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black Widow wrote:
And while we're on correct spellings . . . though this is a threadjack . . . its fluorescent, not flourescent. [crazy]

If we're going to correct everything, I might as well add that you perform a threadjack here. UBB doesn't have threads. It has topics.

Considering the meaning of the suffix -escent, I think flourescent should be a word. We could use it to describe certain goths [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 11:50      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Boobookitty, did you make them? I'd like to hear a report. [Smile]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 12:21      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
quote:

How can something be acceptable if it's not also correct?

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 17:31      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
quote:

How can something be acceptable if it's not also correct?
ever gotten partial credit on an exam?

maybe you just have higher standards than some [Smile]

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 17:41      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps, considering the nittyness of the pickyness, the proper spelling is "woe"?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 00:37      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Perhaps, considering the nittyness of the pickyness, the proper spelling is "woe"?

CP

Not in the current usage.

"Whoa" is a command used when controlling beasts of burden (e.g., oxen, horses, mules) when wanting them to slow down or come to a complete stop. As an American English idiom, it is frequently used in conjunction with "Hold your horses" as a request to pause the conversation for consideration of some astonishing comment or observation.

On the other hand, "woe" is an adjective describing a sad state of affairs, a trial, or tribulation. It is commonly used as a lament, as in "Oh, woe is me!"

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 01:02      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think CP was joking somehow, though it went over my head a bit.

And "woe" is a noun. "Woeful" is the adjective. For some reason, "woefulness" is also word, though it seems redundant to me.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 01:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, I don't quite agree with you... If a person is in a state of woe or says "woe is me," then woe is an adjective. However, you are correct in saying when used elsewise, it is a noun, with "woeful" becoming the adjective.

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 02:18      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every dictionary I can find says it's a noun.

You can be "in a state of peace" and peace is still a noun, even though "in a state of peace" works like an adjective.

In the case of "woe is me", regardless of how people use it "woe" is still a noun. Shakespeare probably just wanted to make something rhyme, or to annoy us. Besides, I think he was probably doing it for effect - saying that Ophelia had become an embodiment of woe rather than merely a person who felt woeful.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 15, 2006 06:11      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whir whir whoa woe.

THREAD ALERT! Critical boredom threshold passed.

This thread has passed from legitimate comment through pedantry to realms so dull that no thought can breathe here.

Get out everyone while you still can! [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 06:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and max: The OED actually cites the usage of woe as an adjective, largely due to use. (not to say that it's really 'proper.')

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 11:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 11:46      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now Ash that is one of the truly funnier things I have seen here for a fair while!

Very good indeed

[thumbsup] [Applause] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture