homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » RFC fencing tournament, with pictures!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RFC fencing tournament, with pictures!
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 17:47      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a fencing tournament today here in Raleigh , NC.
The biggest reps were the NCSU fencing team (yay), the Appalachian State team, and a big group of Raleigh fencing clubbers, with some other random fencers thrown in.
I was sort of hoping to see quantumfluff's daughter there, now that I know she exists, but no such luck. It was a super rare chance, anyway. Such a highly rated sabre wouldn't waste her time with our peasly tournament [Wink] -- the owner of the gym had to sign up for the 8th spot, since only 7 registered.
NCSU wiped out the board in Epee, placing first and second. (C)
Justin Jacobs won both foil (D) and sabre.

also, everybody likes picture posts, no matter how boring the pictures are:

NCSU sabre team:
 -
NCSU sabre ladies:
 -
I'm too cute to be menacing:
 -

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 18:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know... women with sharp pointy objects always appear menacing to me.

I liked the pictures anyway, though, so please don't hurt me [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 19:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You remind me a bit of someone I know...except she doesn't scare me that way. [Wink] She can break my heart other ways, but not pierce it with a pointy object. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 20:57            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of skylar ...

Not sure who you mean, Andrew, but at a random guess at who, I don't see a semblance. It's odd how the brain sees likenesses that others can't spot.

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 21:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...you wouldn't know the girl in question. [Razz]

Also, I really wouldn't compare her to skylar myself. Perhaps you're finding some similarity in the smile, but I'd say skylar looks a tad less giddy, and beautiful in a way that doesn't quite scare me. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 22:50      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking demosthenes but she prefers blunt objects. [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 22:52      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, sure sabers are pointy (sort of not really, we can talk of this if you really want), but sharp they are not! I get beaten to a pulp every day, but all my bleeding is internal and in the form of bruises and welts - not cuts or scratches!

also, I look giddy?
its amazing how much one's personality can come through in just a photograph, as you've never met me and "giddy" is a pretty dead on.

JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 05:30      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, saber?

Now that would make a great comic concept... a saber-wielding champion babe who snaps after a few bad forum experiences, and hunts down internet posters like- [Eek!]

Err.. was I saying something about snapping?

Nice pics, cute gals.

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 06:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
business attire wrote:
okay, sure sabers are pointy (sort of not really, we can talk of this if you really want), but sharp they are not!

I know the weapons used in fencing aren't particularly sharp or pointy. I was making an obscure sort of joke at my own exepense. There's this story about my right hand, a steak knife and a date that ended very badly. It's been posted too many times already, however, so I won't bore everyone with it again (yay) [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 08:56      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cute [Smile] Looks like fun!
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 09:15      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Also, I really wouldn't compare her to skylar myself. Perhaps you're finding some similarity in the smile, but I'd say skylar looks a tad less giddy, and beautiful in a way that doesn't quite scare me. [Razz]

Ah, dman, now I know where to go for a great compliment [Big Grin] . I have my giddy moments too, though, y'know... you were just fortunate enough not to have to witness them [Wink]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 12:48      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
There was a fencing tournament today here in Raleigh , NC.... I was sort of hoping to see quantumfluff's daughter there, now that I know she exists, but no such luck. It was a super rare chance, anyway. Such a highly rated sabre wouldn't waste her time with our peasly tournament [Wink]

She'll show up for small local events, but we simply can't afford to travel unless points or that elusive A is at stake. It's expensive to get to North Carolina from NY, and the money is best spent on the NAC next weekend in Albuquerque. She has to go to all the Div I, Jr, and Cadet NAC's this year, so we have to limit the fun trips.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 15:01      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoa NY?

when you said northwestern, I could have sworn you meant the one here in NC. My mistake. no wonder I've never met her.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 19:29      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The older one fences epee at Northwestern outside Chicago. The younger one wields a sabre, but she's still in high school, so she travels on my dime, rather than the school's.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 20:07      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah, I should have been paying more attention!
well when your daughter hits college age (which I hope is next year so that maybe I may fence her in the college circuits before I graduate [Smile] ) I'm sure she'll be highly celebrated.
It seems most teams and especially clubs are lacking in the female saber department -- particularly those with skill.

...some of them end up being switched from foil to fence saber for a semester before getting thrown into tournaments where they do badly for a time and then start getting so fed up that pent up aggression takes them farther than they ever dreamed *ahem* not that its my life story or anything.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 20:56      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's only a junior, so it will be two more years. You'ld have to find her at a NAC or the JOs. The only large regional thing we may hit this season is the Cherry Blossom in DC, but that's a long drive from NC.

Does your team send you to NAC's if you're eligible? That's one great thing about the big 10 schools - Northwestern sent my daughter to all the Junior NAC's for the last two years. Since we were going anyway, we got to see her a lot. Alas, now she's too old for JR events, and they just picked up 3 top-tier epeeists, so she's not even on the travel team any more.

Anyway, good luck at your next event. Remember the sabreist's motto - "Go Fast, Scream Loud!"

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture