homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Halloween Costumes (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Halloween Costumes
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 19:59      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Actually, IIRC, it's even more violent than that (but some like it that way). I think (please bear in mind my microbiology is rusty) that the T-even phages infect cells by landing on the surface and then injecting their genomes into the cytosol. I'll let your imagination do the rest. [Wink]

that they do, that they do!
they even "thrust", so to speak!
microbiology gets me excited.

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 20:05      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Actually, IIRC, it's even more violent than that (but some like it that way). I think (please bear in mind my microbiology is rusty) that the T-even phages infect cells by landing on the surface and then injecting their genomes into the cytosol. I'll let your imagination do the rest. [Wink]

Yeah, the helical sheath stayed on pretty well; I was wearing clothes under it so it wouldn't have been an embarassing momemt if my costume un-sheathed.

There was a halloween ball at school, so I went around "infecting" people by just running up to my friends and yelling "INFECTION" while rubbing my head on their costume. Phages only infect bacteria, but a real re-enactment of an infection would call for me to puncture the skin and insert DNA into the victim's body so that the victim would explode when millions of viruses come racing of the poor lysed creature.

I think that causing someone to lyse would be illegal.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 23:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:

There was a halloween ball at school, so I went around "infecting" people by just running up to my friends and yelling "INFECTION" while rubbing my head on their costume. Phages only infect bacteria, but a real re-enactment of an infection would call for me to puncture the skin and insert DNA into the victim's body so that the victim would explode when millions of viruses come racing of the poor lysed creature.

I think that causing someone to lyse would be illegal.

This brings up an intersting question. Could a person win damages in civil court if they seud an aquiantence for tranmitting a desease to them? NOt by sticking them with an infectd needle but the normal transmittance.

And if you think not, what if this person was really careless, not coverng thier mouth when they cough or washing thier hands before touching your stuff.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2006 03:13      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
This brings up an intersting question. Could a person win damages in civil court if they seud an aquiantence for tranmitting a desease to them? NOt by sticking them with an infectd needle but the normal transmittance.

And if you think not, what if this person was really careless, not coverng thier mouth when they cough or washing thier hands before touching your stuff.

Don't you think that we make enough work for lawyers without encouraging them to "innovate" in this area?

Maybe I should sue you for the distress and pain this last post of yours caused me.... [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2006 11:04      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I vaugly remeber someone suing for just that... But I don't remember clearly. If it did happen, I think that a big part of it is knowingly transmitting it... But I'm not 100% sure I remember correctly.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2006 11:12      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

I will have to google the exact cases, but it has happened in the case of spreading HIV. I vaguely remember a case not to long back where a woman sued her husband/fiance for contracting it through an affair and spreading it.

As far as a cold or flu, I hope we don't get *that* sue-happy.

Edit: Here is the one I just heard about.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2006 13:02      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Could a person win damages in civil court if they seud an aquiantence for tranmitting a desease to them? NOt by sticking them with an infectd needle but the normal transmittance.

I think you can if the person intentionally tried to give you the disease/infection. Of course you'd have to prove the person knew about their condition before hand and used it against you.
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2006 16:36      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An inmate with AIDS was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon for biting two guards, so I can only assume a person could be held liable in a civil court as well.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2006 20:48      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, a guy was convicted a few months ago for having unprotected sex without telling his partners he has AIDS (yes, you heard that right - he has AIDS, he knew it, still he refused to protect his partners: what an assh*le). I just don't remember the exact charge he was convicted of.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2006 06:12      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
(yes, you heard that right - he has AIDS, he knew it, still he refused to protect his partners: what an assh*le).

Man, if anyone out there's deserving of one of the famous GC throatpunches, it's that guy. Erf. [Mad]
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2006 09:22      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo
I just don't remember the exact charge he was convicted of.

I know that there was a case in Newfoundland in the 90's where a guy by the name of Raymond Mercer was charged with criminal neglegence for knowingly infecting people with HIV.

BTW... I second the throat punch motion.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2006 15:17      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love how fast you guys change topics in a post:

from Halloween costumes to the criminal spreading of AIDS. Where is it gonna go next?

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2006 19:13      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'm waiting to see you model your handmade WonderWoman costume. ..er..since you asked, that is.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 11:11      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good to me. How 'bout it, Mel? Way better than waiting for the thread to veer of into a spontaneous punfest [Smile]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 11:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll third that motion. Wonderwoman pics !

...must...

...resist...

..urge..

..to..

..make..

..halloween..

..pun..

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 16:04      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when do I have a Wonder Woman costume???
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 17:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... I suppose pics without the Wonder Woman costume would do. [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 19:16      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder Woman or not. I think it's about time we got to vote on the slutiest Halloween costume. Submit your pictures now or miss being in the contest!
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted November 08, 2006 20:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quantumfluff wrote:
Wonder Woman or not. I think it's about time we got to vote on the slutiest Halloween costume. Submit your pictures now or miss being in the contest!

Hmm... where did I put that thong... [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 20:16      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Well... I suppose pics without the Wonder Woman costume would do. [evil]

Yeah, Mel. If we have to settle for you without the Wonder Woman attire - we're adults here - we can handle that.

-

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2006 21:27      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all seriousness. People might be uptight about nudity their whole lives, but once you have kids it all goes out the window. After the N'th time when your toddlers walk in on you while you're taking a shower you think "F... it. Who cares if I'm naked."

.... And this goes along with the whole life-attitude change after you've had to change a diaper in public. Don't even think of judging until you've been there.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture