homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Crazy screenshot competition (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Crazy screenshot competition
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted October 28, 2006 22:34            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your craziest ever screenshot?

Can you beat the master of screenshots? This is the competition and it is tough!

And that's the sane version of the pic. This is the loony version

Beat that!

IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 23:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I felt like I stepped back 20 years in time. I haven't seen desktop icons like that since gradeschool Apples! [Eek!]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 23:30            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could run Mac OS 8 or higher on a 1986 Macintosh? I guess there's something that Apple (and your school) have not been telling us.
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 01:11      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that one of yours?

Depends what you mean really.

I have my outer limits thing going on. Not particularly original, but it was fun for a while.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 01:30            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course it's mine, you know how much I believe in original work and crediting where it's due! :P

Your photo reminds me of that crazy fad where people were setting up desktop pics to make it look like they had transparent screens -- there were some really cool photos. Actually, I had another wallpaper on my 486 that was the insides of an empty monitor case :P

You can do so many funny things with wallpaper. But in this case, no, I just hosed the GUI trying to snapshot a menu in a Carbon app. For some reason it triggers a condition where menus, and window title bars, borders and backgrounds cease to draw in, and window contents are no longer cleared when a window is removed from the screen.

The thing that's annoying about Mac OS X is that I have not found a single evil bug in it yet. Only a hoard of loopy flaws in Exposť and window layering and the realisation that you can take a screenshot of taking a screenshot (!)

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 04:06      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is quite easy to make your screen horrible. It seems that whenever I tak a screenshot I manage to leave it open for a while, causing great frustration when I try to click on the controls, which are now only part of the picture.

It looks like you have a bit of that going on in the 2nd pic, unless something far freakier is going on.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 04:58      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't see the big deal

i can run an instance of IE, load some code to make it stop responding properly, then open and close a dozen+ apps to get that same effect

or i can just cut n paste sections of windows i open into mspaint

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 13:14            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, there is a reason why I posted two screenshots.

I don't cheat.

The second is not cheating either, I was saving an earlier screenshot for a friend and due to the nature of the bug, it was left behind on the screen the same as everything else.

I don't even know why the first is so bad ... it has bits of program that I don't even recall switching to for any reason. Might be me trying to get the hang of using invisble menus, I think I accidentally switched app before finding the commands I wanted (hide others, not that it worked).

But no. I know you can take a screenshot of your desktop and use it as wallpaper. Baiting IE doesn't count. I don't want cheats.

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 13:57      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who says i have to cheat anyway? it's IE!

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 14:18            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If IE blows up by itself, sure. I've never seen IE blow up but I managed to break the entire Win2k GUI once in a manner far more broken than my Mac -- without any way to log into via Telnet/SSH I had to press reset, although the system was still running fine otherwise (it had Apache on there and it was still returning pages).

I do cheat a little, I admit; some of my pics on my site are from going back over the bug again to actually take a screenshot this time (if I forgot originally), or to take a better one, and sometimes I'll take a few and select the best one. I might do it again to use less screen area, for a smaller and tighter image (my limit on inline images is 650 px wide optimal, ~750 px wide absolute maximum, so the page doesn't screw up on 800x600 displays). But that bug absolutely did happen to me by pure chance, even if I had to stage another shot. All of them, unless it's really obvious I was poking the program to see if it would do a Pokey Penguin on me. (Some of them do)

Staging another shot is also good in that it lets me feel out the cause better, and tell if it's reproducible. Random bugs only get an honourable mention. Repeatable ones are more likely to get the nasty treatment, especially where it's a reflection on typically poor GUI standards.

But in this topic it has to be a bug that occurred unexpectedly. Rigging something to crash is cheating.

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 17:00      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once had a nice gui bug that would leave all moving windows and other elements kind of "trailed" and frozen on the monitor so that in the end your screen was a huge mess of window frames and contents "smeared" everywhere...

Unfortunately I can't recall now what used to trigger it - and I know that some update or other to either the troublesome App or to OSX fixed it.

Wish I had screenshot of that one now though... It was total chaos if you let it just carry on... and yes apps did continue to run, but the finder would become a total mess

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 17:34            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a screenshot of everything! :P

Always.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 23:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
You could run Mac OS 8 or higher on a 1986 Macintosh? I guess there's something that Apple (and your school) have not been telling us.

How old do you think I am?! Oh wait, I see what you did. Sorry, make that 18 years ago.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2006 23:57            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really don't have a clue, do you?

The first color Macintosh was the Macintosh II in 1987. Education is always far behind the world but OK, maybe by 1988 you had a Macintosh II already. I'm not hot on specs, but my Macintosh IIvx had 256 colours.

My IIvx looked like this:

-

Except one thing. That is Macintosh System 7.1, released in 1991. Prior to 1991, the Macintosh system was in monochrome (although apps could draw colour, the OS itself was in black and white for a few years to come). So how you mistook my 16-bit 1280x960 desktop from a whole other era (well past the point where Mac OS no longer ran on 68k Macintoshes like the II), for a black and white System 6 (or earlier!) desktop I really have no idea.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 00:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're the one without a clue, Uilleann. I said your desktop icons looked like the old Macs we had in gradeschool. I didn't say your desktop looked like that OS. Nor did I comment on the color. I commented on the shape and style of the icons, nothing else. Why you read more into it than that, I'm not sure, except maybe you're just overanalyzing. [crazy]

EDIT: And FYI, we had an amazing computer guru who kept the school's computer labs up-to-date. We got new computers practically as soon as they came out. After the Apple IIe--which were distributed one per homeroom--I remember the computer lab (tiny closet of a room) crammed with the next generation of Macs. They were the black/white (or grayscale, rather) color schemes. Single unit with harddrive and monitor in one box, a boxy keyboard, and a mouse which was terribly clunky by today's standards.

That's what I remember. I didn't care so much about the KIND of computer we used; I was just excited to use one, period, since we hadn't a computer--or a television--at home.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 00:24            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? Folder and drive icons in 1988 were in black and white (no greys), a simple 1 pixel black outline.

Icons on my desktop are shown from a 3D angle, 32-bit colour with alpha blending to achieve statically-rendered (faked!) lighting, shadow and anti-aliasing.

Do you see a similarity?

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 05:18      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest uilleann I can. There is an easily traceable family resemblance of all Mac icons up to OS 9, some of which changed little from Susan Kare's originals, and you shouldn't be so dismissive of other people who are not as obsessive about computer minutiae as you are. Rhonnie I am certain, has areas of expertise that interest you not one jot, but for example, I haven't heard her call you clueless yet for your lack of musical ability.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 10:14      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<flog target='dead horse'>

Sorry to "me too", but... uilleann, as I tell my clublets, you are not in Rhonnie's brain and have no basis to say whether or not one thing reminds her of another. If I say the letter "B" reminds me of the first moon landing how can you argue? In any case, the style of Macintosh icons prior to OS X was distinctive, regardless of how much or little color, shading, etc. was added to a particular icon.

</flog>

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 11:09            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tough shit, she loves posting clueless posts in any topic I make and no, I don't appreciate my system being dismissed as 20 years old. That is just bollocks. Then again, given the general uselessness of replies to this topic anyway it makes it pretty clear there was no point posting it to begin with. I knew this beforehand, but I tried anyway. I need to stop bothering.
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 11:14      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Tough shit, she loves posting clueless posts in any topic I make and no, I don't appreciate my system being dismissed as 20 years old. That is just bollocks. Then again, given the general uselessness of replies to this topic anyway it makes it pretty clear there was no point posting it to begin with. I knew this beforehand, but I tried anyway. I need to stop bothering.

Nope...you need to lighten up. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 12:37      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uilleann, you need to get over yourself. I said your icons REMINDED me of the ones on the Macs we used years ago. Now, you might be insecure to be offended by that, but if you even knew with how much fondness I remember those days, you wouldn't have overreacted. In fact, I daresay you'd be flattered. Those Macs were cool... still are in my mind 'cause I associate awe and the thrill of taking one of those precious machines home over the weekend with thoughts of HyperCard and "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" just to name a few. To see icons now that remind me of those years is a good thing. Windows XP (and OS X, which sadly has followed suit) has almost wussy icons with all their rounded corners and soft edges. The clean-cut lines of icons from yesteryear are something I miss, so when I saw your desktop icons, I was surprised.

Now, I could get all in a tizzy about the intended insult you gave me ("she loves posting clueless posts in any topic I make"), but I'm not going to take it personally. As Calli so kindly put it, I'm sure there are areas of expertise I have about which you know nothing. And that's okay. If everyone knew everything about everyone else's interests and knowledge, there'd be no reason for dialogue and education.

To the rest of you, I apologize that this thread has become so convoluted, mostly because of a misunderstanding about something I posted. If someone would post something intelligent--and meets Uilleann's qualifications of nonclueless [Razz] --to get us back on track, I'd appreciate it. [Smile]

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 12:38      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute. So if, hypothetically, you post a pic of your hypothetical Chrysler PT Cruiser and I say it reminds me of cars from 50's I'm dismissing your car as 50 years old? Please [shake head]

/me wonders what bug has crawled up our collective arse. Tempers sure do seem short lately.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 14:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rhonwyn (hey, you feel allowed to misspell my name) - if you posted a topic on music I'd ignore it. I'd not come in and post some retarded comment to take it over for my own needs. If it's not my area, I have no need to come crap in it.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 14:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
/me wonders what bug has crawled up our collective arse. Tempers sure do seem short lately.

I've noticed that.
P'raps it's time to pass around the cosmic bong?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2006 19:54      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully to get everyone back on track ... I was fiddling with taking screenshots of screenshots and got a screenshot of the screenshot's icon thumbnail image. Have a look see here:
Screenshot of the Thumbnail of a Screenshot

It's probably a bit small, but I think you can get the idea (could have said picture, but that would be so wrong).

Hope everyone has a great, safe and candy filled Halloween. And, for those of you who Wiccan, etc., Happy New Year.

tweety

EDIT:
Should read "those of you who are Wiccan ... "

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture